Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
I did just experience this recently myself. Were you possibly booking for multiple passengers? In my case I booked tickets for my wife and son two weeks ago. When I got to the payment screen, the website suddenly added in $50 (2x$25) for close-in fee that had not been in any of the subsequent screens. The chase link I found said that the close-in fee is waived for tickets purchased for the cardholder and for authorized users. This made me think that I was being charged for both, despite my wife being on the account, since my son is not on my card account.<br /><br />To test this, I then tried booking just a ticket for my just my wife, thinking I would just buy a separate ticket for my son to at least save myself one $25 close-in fee. Sure enough, this time I got to the payment screen with no fee, but then I realized that since my son is a minor I could not book his ticket alone without calling in (and likely getting hit with an additional $25 phone booking fee).<br /><br />So I ended up just booking both together and of course the $50 fee showed back up again at the end of the process. I paid it, then called in and explained that apparent web error (I noted that my wife is an authorized user, and that oddly enough my 4 year is not...). The agent very quickly refunded the fee.<br /><br />Good luck
Thank you for this. My booking was solo (just me) so I am still not sure what triggered the $25 fee. I did google again and found another Chase page listing the waiver of the close-in fee as a PP benefit, so who knows. When I have the energy, I will call!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:44 pm

I did not think I would stick with the card, but I have. The spend waiver and other benefits come in handy. Curious if there is any way to know how many still have this card? 1000? 10000?

Also, any thoughts if they will add any benefit to offset the close in fee waiver which is going away for everyone?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by airfly56
.... any thoughts if they will add any benefit to offset the close in fee waiver which is going away for everyone?
I would not hold my breath on that. Benefits are added to attract new customers and as the PresPlus is closed to new customers, there isn't much reason to enhance the benefits.

The Chase MP Club card has similar benefits (but requires $35K spend for the PQD waiver) and is presently available and even then I would not expect a new benefit in replacement or the close-in fee change.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 31, 2019 at 10:04 pm
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Presidential Plus came up on the most recent episode of Talking Points podcast in an interview with Luc Bondar from MP. Kelly noted that the lack of an "EQM" earning card in the lineup and Bondar's response was basically "stay tuned". https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-pluspoints/
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Can anyone confirm that the Price Protection benefit has been removed? I called the benefits administrator today to file a claim for a price drop on a TV I purchased last month and was told that Price Protection was removed from this card in August 2018.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by paule123
Can anyone confirm that the Price Protection benefit has been removed? I called the benefits administrator today to file a claim for a price drop on a TV I purchased last month and was told that Price Protection was removed from this card in August 2018.
The Chase website still shows this:

Price Protection

If a United Presidential Plus Card purchase you made in the U.S. is advertised for less in print or online within 90 days, you can be reimbursed for the difference up to $500 per item and up to $2,500 per year.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Here we go again ...

Once again, my card # gets clipped.
Once again, used in California and Mexico.
Once again, Chase doesn't care. Just cancels the transactions and sends me a new card.
Once again, I have to go update every danged auto-bill that uses this card.
Once again, I'm REALLY tired of it.
But, once again, I don't want to give up this card, mostly for the Avis President's Club access.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
dmurphynj -
yup - same thing happened to me in the middle of a business trip for which I rely heavily on my Chase United card.
no problem canceling my card - even if I dont want or need to canceled based upon a random potential fraud charge
but now I need to fix everything... and fortunately I have an Apple credit card that I can now use (fine, hate me for that - and hate me for not having 6 credit cards i my wallet)
... happening to me more frequently which is interesting since most of my charges are online on very trusted sources and rarely to I use the actual card (except for things like gas locally and hotels)

the issue that I find is that sometimes I need to make advanced reservations for future hotel stays and put a deposit down on a card that then gets canceled - a real mess when I need to stay at the hotel or change anything.

-m
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst
dmurphynj -
yup - same thing happened to me in the middle of a business trip for which I rely heavily on my Chase United card.
no problem canceling my card - even if I dont want or need to canceled based upon a random potential fraud charge
but now I need to fix everything... and fortunately I have an Apple credit card that I can now use (fine, hate me for that - and hate me for not having 6 credit cards i my wallet)
... happening to me more frequently which is interesting since most of my charges are online on very trusted sources and rarely to I use the actual card (except for things like gas locally and hotels)

the issue that I find is that sometimes I need to make advanced reservations for future hotel stays and put a deposit down on a card that then gets canceled - a real mess when I need to stay at the hotel or change anything.

-m
There is definitely something up with this "series" of credit cards.

5466 5760 xxxx xxxx seems to be the issue... They told me this time that the card was definitely "swiped" so someone is making physical cards and using them. I suspect they just keep running random numbers in that range until they get ones that work.

But either way, Chase has a big fraud problem on their hands, and they just don't seem to care.

I also have an Apple card, as well as a Chase Sapphire Reserve, so I'm not really "stuck" when (not if) this card gets stolen again... but it's very frustrating. And I'm too stupid to cancel it altogether... or at least have them switch me to the Visa version of it. (I'm still on a MasterCard.). I don't want the change because that will make me lose the Avis Presidents' Club benefits, which I use all the time.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I can see how things like this become more and more common - and without a reasonable solution to the consumer - that people are driven to things like the Apple card (for it's security features) and only keep their "credit cards" unused in their wallets for the benefits - something I am sure Chase et al love....cc used only for perks, but no charging.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
There is definitely something up with this "series" of credit cards.

5466 5760 xxxx xxxx seems to be the issue...
I had this happen 3 times to my PP MC in that series. Switched to Visa a few years ago and no card theft since (knock on wood).
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I had this happen 3 times to my PP MC in that series....
I'll see your three and raise you to nine.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA-Platinum , Marriott- Lifetime Gold
Happens about every year for me .
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I'll see your three and raise you to nine.
I'm not at 9, but at least 6.... there's definitely something very, very wrong going on here, and Chase seems absolutely disinterested to do anything about it!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I'm not at 9, but at least 6.... there's definitely something very, very wrong going on here, and Chase seems absolutely disinterested to do anything about it!
They're interested in you giving up the PP card as fast as possible to push the new Club card with higher annual fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.