Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:58 pm

the least they could have done was at least bump the card type to Visa INFINITE if they're going to charge us as the same price their other premium offerings.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by onedollar
the least they could have done was at least bump the card type to Visa INFINITE if they're going to charge us as the same price their other premium offerings.
What specifically would you be interested from an infinite bump? (Other than Visa discount air since they've kept they for Ritz only)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
It would never have lasted. I'm betting that their bean counters crunched the numbers and found that those paying less than the current AF as a whole generate X profit and they are willing to take Y risk for the Z cancellations. You can expect this for any award/reward system - build it up and slowly break it down. Also, for added bonus it slims down the ranks of this legacy card.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: CO One Pass, Lifetime PC, 1/5 to 1M
I wrote a letter to Chase about the increase from $100 for the Pres+ Card for lifetime Club members. A rep called me yesterday. After a (sometimes heated) discussion where I explained I am being asked to pay twice for the same service, I was told it was a Chase-wide decision and could not be overturned. I asked how many others were have sent complaints and was told the were "some"--the agent refused to say if it were 5 or 500, even when I asked for a ballpark figure.

Well.....today I got a message from the same rep who told me that they were going to honor the $100 rate and I would be getting a letter in the mail saying that it will continue to be the same.

Last edited by Cupertino; Jun 23, 2017 at 3:46 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Cupertino
Well.....today I got a message from the same rep who told me that they were going to honor the $100 rate and I would be getting a letter in the mail saying that it will continue to be the same.
WW! Is that for all of us in the same situation? I spoke to a couple of reps and heard nothing back. I guess it's time for a letter.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Been following this thread and i hadn't received a fee change notice....got me thinking if chase was only sending the increase to folks who didn't hit certain spend per year as way to weed out folks. I am not a big spender but put a good amount of usage on the card.

Also good to hear if true on the retraction.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Good news if it's for everyone. I've been traveling so have put off calling. I'll try this week if I don't get the change letter.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum Lifetime Club Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by manneca
Good news if it's for everyone. I've been traveling so have put off calling. I'll try this week if I don't get the change letter.
Just talked to Chase for the third time. Good news! It appears they have realized that the grandfathered $100 lifetimers are some of UA's best customers and they have decided to continue the $100 annual fee. The representative said I'd be getting a new letter and she noted the conversation in my file.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by OhforthedaysofCO
Just talked to Chase for the third time. Good news! It appears they have realized that the grandfathered $100 lifetimers are some of UA's best customers and they have decided to continue the $100 annual fee. The representative said I'd be getting a new letter and she noted the conversation in my file.
Good news indeed! ^
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
So I've been speculating this whole time.

I'm the late batch of card holders that are paying $395 a year. I never got any letter regarding even the increase so it's a relief it didn't go through
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
So I've been speculating this whole time.

I'm the late batch of card holders that are paying $395 a year. I never got any letter regarding even the increase so it's a relief it didn't go through
Letters are still arriving. Yur letter will come...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Yep got mine this past weekend.

Grrrrrrrrr
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
So, will I have liking them to change the card to a Sapphire or even an explorer card? The business was paying the fee, but $450 is too steep to ask them to pay.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by OhforthedaysofCO
Great news! I just received my notification, but hadn't yet gotten around to calling Chase to complain. Now I'll just sit back and wait for my new letter.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Preparing phone bombs away when the letter arrives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.