Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I noticed that SDC options are not showing up for flights the next day in app or on the website, even though my fare class is available and the flights for tomorrow are within 24 hours. However I do see options to SDC to flights today. What gives? I’m guessing I have to call if I want to change to a flight tomorrow.

Edit: Interestingly, if I try to change my flight not through the SDC interface, but through the change flight interface, flights are showing up as $0 with the change fee waived for all flights within 24 hours with my fare class (it says "Change fee waived for refundable ticket", but I am on a K fare so definitely not refundable).

Last edited by pregabalin; Mar 13, 2019 at 7:03 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
If I read the FAQ correctly I think this is allowed but I would be interested to hear of any recent experiences.

I am flying AAA-BBB-CCC tomorrow. Im hoping to extend my layover at BBB for potentially a few days. There are only a couple of BBB-CCC flights a day so it wouldn't require too many changes to push it back to Sunday. I won't have bags checked. Can it be done and whats the best way to do it? I'm currently Gold.

Thanks
It can be done, just roll the SDC thru the 24 hour window. Every time the "next" flight up enters the 24 hour window move your flight forward. It can be tedious at times and there is always the possibility you run into a few full flights that block you from moving your flight any farther forward. In that case you have a choice. Leave now, or buy a new ticket (in my case usually award) for when you really want to leave.

Note: If the first time you check the future flight it is not presented as an option, don't despair. If there are seats available as you get closer to departure they usually open up the lower fare classes and you will get to move the flight. I have been as close as T-30 minutes before I was finally able to move my flight forward.

P.S. If you don't have expert mode activated yet, set that up in your UA profile. Seeing the available fare classes on future flights is invaluable in projecting the likelihood of success.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by pregabalin
Edit: Interestingly, if I try to change my flight not through the SDC interface, but through the change flight interface, flights are showing up as $0 with the change fee waived for all flights within 24 hours with my fare class (it says "Change fee waived for refundable ticket", but I am on a K fare so definitely not refundable).
Are you flying through one of the many cities that are currently under a weather waiver?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by threeoh
Are you flying through one of the many cities that are currently under a weather waiver?
No. Even weirder is when I changed the flight online I am now on an H fare.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:25 am
ezl

I'm flying with my gf ORD-SFO-SIN. The first leg is on Saturday then 13h overnight layover and second leg is on Sunday morning. What's my best play to get to Singapore earlier? I'm 1k.
I could SDC just the first leg to Friday night and then hope to get on the Saturday morning flight to SIN? Would that be permitted since it is the exact same flight just day earlier?
I was thinking I could do standby on one of the Saturday flights to SIN (there are two) but im not sure how feasible this is.

What do you recommend?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ezl
I'm flying with my gf ORD-SFO-SIN. The first leg is on Saturday then 13h overnight layover and second leg is on Sunday morning. What's my best play to get to Singapore earlier? I'm 1k.
I could SDC just the first leg to Friday night and then hope to get on the Saturday morning flight to SIN? Would that be permitted since it is the exact same flight just day earlier?
I was thinking I could do standby on one of the Saturday flights to SIN (there are two) but im not sure how feasible this is.

What do you recommend?
Assuming that both of you are on the same PNR, you will check what App offers you during check-in process at T-24 h. If you do not like the options (ORD-SFO-SIN), you call 1K line and beg an agent to change to earlier flights. I am not sure that App will offer SDC options for ORD-SFO only because there is not enough break at SFO to be treated as two separate trips. Good luck.
I am sure that someone else will provide more suggestions.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Assuming that both of you are on the same PNR, you will check what App offers you during check-in process at T-24 h. If you do not like the options (ORD-SFO-SIN), you call 1K line and beg an agent to change to earlier flights. I am not sure that App will offer SDC options for ORD-SFO only because there is not enough break at SFO to be treated as two separate trips. Good luck.
I am sure that someone else will provide more suggestions.
IME, a 13-hour overnight transfer will be enough to have the computer treat them as two separate trips. However, an agent should be able to SDC the OP to an all-Saturday departure -- if you take the first flight of the day from ORD to SFO, you can make the Saturday morning SIN flight -- or possibly to a Friday night / Saturday morning combo. (Not all agents will do overnight transfers -- and note that it'd have to be a later Friday departure than your currently scheduled Saturday flight; so if you're on the 8 PM Saturday flight, you'd have to change to the 9:30 PM Friday flight, not the 8 PM one).

OP: On its own, the app will not allow you to SDC to the Saturday morning SFO-SIN flight, because it's going to treat ORD-SFO and SFO-SIN as separate trips. It would allow you to SDC to the Saturday evening flight, if you got to SFO in time. Trying to standby for a flight the previous calendar day is tricky; you'd have to convince the check-in agent to give you something to get you past security. Not all check-in agents will do that.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:53 pm
ezl

1k line already said that i would have to do 2 separate SDCs... is it worth doing a few calls on Friday until I get someone nice and willing to cooperate?
And do you think once I get to SFO is there an option to do standby on one of the Saturday flights. Or is it not feasible since the actual flight is supposed to be on Sunday?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ezl
1k line already said that i would have to do 2 separate SDCs... is it worth doing a few calls on Friday until I get someone nice and willing to cooperate?
It can't hurt. Just make sure that your fare class is available all the way through, and ask like this:

"I'm currently booked from Chicago to Singapore with an overnight connection in San Francisco. I'd like to make a same-day change to tonight's Chicago to San Francisco flight leaving at X:XX, and then connecting to the Singapore flight leaving at Y:YY."

Originally Posted by ezl
And do you think once I get to SFO is there an option to do standby on one of the Saturday flights. Or is it not feasible since the actual flight is supposed to be on Sunday?
Standby will be tricky for exactly that reason. You could go to the airport and try. You would also be able to SDC to the Saturday evening flight, but not the morning one, if the strategy to move them both at the same time doesn't work.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by ezl
Are you in J or Y? The Saturday flights are usually much busier than the Sunday ones, in particular in J where your fare class might be less likely to be available if there are seats at all. (Saturday morning have you arrive Sunday evening to sleep a night before the week starts. Saturday evening is my preference as it arrives Monday morning early enough to work that day).

if you are able to leave Thursday or early Friday, maybe just doing a regular ticket change (for the $400 fee) is more practical to get an extra day or two in Singapore.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
As long as the number of connections doesn't change, I don't actually think it would be a problem - UA is happy to accept its own revalidated coupons, and LH wouldn't see any change.

I've had success doing this type of SDC with an agent before, but I also haven't seen it from the app.
Originally Posted by myperks

the choices were from my two segments to three segments with the last segment still showing the same FRA to DEL on United coded LH flight. My original is United metal SFO to FRA.

Again, I did not click through so the possibility of erroring out is good as well.
FWIW, I have IAD-FRA on UA and then FRA-GVA on LH. The app is giving me IAD-SFO/ORD-FRA on UA as well as the other IAD-FRA flight as SDC options, with the FRA-GVA flight always the same.

Adding the SFO layover would be a pretty good MR, if I had the time. .
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by prometa

FWIW, I have IAD-FRA on UA and then FRA-GVA on LH. The app is giving me IAD-SFO/ORD-FRA on UA as well as the other IAD-FRA flight as SDC options, with the FRA-GVA flight always the same.

Adding the SFO layover would be a pretty good MR, if I had the time. .
thanks for this data point. Then again no one has reported that it will actually work when one clicks through but it’s nice to see another report of the app offering what I’ve seen before.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I plan to fly SFO-IAD and arrive before 3pm April 1. Currently there is a cheaper flight on 9:40pm April 1(UA697 Z class). Is it reasonable to book this flight and expect to SDC to something earlier(March 31 night or April 1 morning)? or is this strategy too risky? I have UA Gold if that matters.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by willsplashing
I plan to fly SFO-IAD and arrive before 3pm April 1. Currently there is a cheaper flight on 9:40pm April 1(UA697 Z class). Is it reasonable to book this flight and expect to SDC to something earlier(March 31 night or April 1 morning)? or is this strategy too risky? I have UA Gold if that matters.
I would estimate about 30% chance of success to a morning nonstop with a Z fare and being stuck waiting until 9:40pm the night before to make a change. A C fare might bump your odds closer to 50%, but that cabin is going to be J0 several days out and anything left will fall victim to the TOD at T-24.

If you are willing to consider connections and/or a Sunday night redeye, your odds are much better.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by findark
I would estimate about 30% chance of success to a morning nonstop with a Z fare and being stuck waiting until 9:40pm the night before to make a change. A C fare might bump your odds closer to 50%, but that cabin is going to be J0 several days out and anything left will fall victim to the TOD at T-24.

If you are willing to consider connections and/or a Sunday night redeye, your odds are much better.
I'm open to anything after 9:41pm Sunday night with/without connection, as long as it gets me to IAD before 3pm Monday. I don't think SDC to the same flight(9:40pm one) exactly 1 day ago is allowed anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.