Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Did you have a long layover at FRA? If not, and it was offering you options including all of the flights, e.g., SFO-ORD-FRA-DEL, that would be news to me. I wonder if that is specific to LH.
The United flight 58 scheduled to arrive FRA around 10am and the connecting was around 1pm to Delhi. App gave me like 10 options to go through the other hubs to get to FRA on United metal but morning departures from SFO. Was just curious as I was already in a PP seat so didn’t change (nor would I have changed).

Originally Posted by Kacee
No, you cannot.
Hmmmm.. yes you can. Although I didn’t try to click through it did offer a good 10 different options.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2019 at 1:28 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
I was already in a PP seat so didn’t change (nor would I have changed).
Nor could you have changed.
Hmmmm.. yes you can. Although I didn’t try to click through it did offer a good 10 different options.
​​​​​​​Just because it was offered doesn't mean it would ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:24 am

Merging consecutive posts by same member after move

Originally Posted by Kacee
Nor could you have changed.

Just because it was offered doesn't mean it would ticket.
True but it was offered. Maybe things changed. My connecting flight to Delhi was a UA coded LH though.

apparently its a no no but has anyone experienced it.

i had a ticket from SFO to FRA to DEL last month with UA-metal from SFO to FRA connecting to a UA-coded LH flight from FRA to DEL on a 016 ticket.
upon app check-in, i was offered a list of choices at $0 to change to SFO to ORD/IAD/EWR to FRA connecting to my original FRA to DEL flight.
I did not go ahead with the change so don't know if it actually will process. There were some comments that it will not process which might be true.

Wanted to see if anyone else had this option and went through with the change with a downline partner flight. Posted here since this thread is SDC specific.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2019 at 1:38 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from another thread the topic of SDC to another flight with a downline partner flight.

apparently its a no no but has anyone experienced it.

i had a ticket from SFO to FRA to DEL last month with UA-metal from SFO to FRA connecting to a UA-coded LH flight from FRA to DEL on a 016 ticket.
upon app check-in, i was offered a list of choices at $0 to change to SFO to ORD/IAD/EWR to FRA connecting to my original FRA to DEL flight.
I did not go ahead with the change so don't know if it actually will process. There were some comments that it will not process which might be true.

Wanted to see if anyone else had this option and went through with the change with a downline partner flight. Posted here since this thread is SDC specific.
{W}hen it was offering you $0 choices, were those choices 'SFO-ORD-FRA-DEL' or just 'SFO-ORD-FRA'? If the former (including -DEL), that is new behaviour for the SDC function.

In either case, you likely would have gotten a reservation without a ticket. In other words, you would have hit the 'confirm' button, and then it would say, problem! see an agent. Thereafter you'd be able to view the reservation with all the segments you think you have after the change, but you would be unable to check in until an agent found a way to force a ticket.

However, let's see if anyone has experience with your exact scenario.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2019 at 1:40 am Reason: cleanup after move
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
As long as the number of connections doesn't change, I don't actually think it would be a problem - UA is happy to accept its own revalidated coupons, and LH wouldn't see any change.

I've had success doing this type of SDC with an agent before, but I also haven't seen it from the app.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by fumje
{W}hen it was offering you $0 choices, were those choices 'SFO-ORD-FRA-DEL' or just 'SFO-ORD-FRA'? If the former (including -DEL), that is new behaviour for the SDC function.

In either case, you likely would have gotten a reservation without a ticket. In other words, you would have hit the 'confirm' button, and then it would say, problem! see an agent. Thereafter you'd be able to view the reservation with all the segments you think you have after the change, but you would be unable to check in until an agent found a way to force a ticket.

However, let's see if anyone has experience with your exact scenario.
the choices were from my two segments to three segments with the last segment still showing the same FRA to DEL on United coded LH flight. My original is United metal SFO to FRA.

Again, I did not click through so the possibility of erroring out is good as well.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
I noticed there's a post in this thread wherein someone reported being offered UA codeshare options via SDC. What do you think are the chances I could do a SDC, assuming my fare class is available, from XXX-YYY (UA) to XXX-ZZZ-YYY, with just the one hour ZZZ-YYY leg on LH metal with a UA flight number? I'm not feeling too good about my upgrade clearing on XXX-YYY but it will definitely clear on XXX-ZZZ so that's why this is a compelling option.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:37 pm

Can anyone confirm that it's still possible to SDC after having ordered a special meal?
I'm aware this most certainly results in forfeiture of the meal, which is why I'm concerned that UA may have disabled the SDC function for bookings with a special meal...?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Just wanted to comment on a recent positive experience. I don't really like the principle of praising someone for doing their job, but it seems harder to find agents that really listen to you.

Last week my fiancee and I were flying DEN-LAX, on the 1015 pm flight. Booked a cheap G fare, and wanted to get out earlier. We both got CPU'ed, which meant no SDC via the app. Had my eye on DEN-PRC-LAX (prescott, az) for a couple weeks - flight always went out very light, only a CRJ200, only one flight a day with a 20 minute layover in PRC (it's the same plane). I also like collecting airline routes.

Called up the agent, told him exactly what I wanted for us, after a minute he wanted to make sure I knew it was DBA Skywest, I said no problem. Took about 3 minutes total, and then that was it. I was worried I'd have to give him what I wanted multiple times, that he would still look for other options, etc. One of the few times I'm glad I picked to request a survey after and made sure to (vote?) appropriately on the followup call. I probably could have just called and asked to move up to an earlier DEN-LAX flight and then made the change on my own, but it still requires agent intervention to downgrade us.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I had flights this morning which had CPUs applied to both flights. Had checked to see if I could change the flights to last night and it showed $0 for the airfare but a $200 change fee (it was a G fare) and there were a couple of options. As I messed up the first time I did a SDC I called in when it got to the 24 hours and knew my options. The CS agent offered me the two different departures and told me no additional fare but change fee. I pointed out I was within the 24 hour window. She then tried again at which time she agreed no change fee but additional airfare cost of >$160 as no G fares available. I declined the SDC. This morning they were offering $800 to move to a later flight but I needed to be home and was not confident there would not be delays later in the day. They should have put me on a flight last night where there was room!

I certainly understand there can be volatility with available fares but the sudden change of no fares in my class being available when there is no change fee surprised me.
Question 1: Is this unusual?

I ask as I will want to change a flight later this month to a flight the next day and am concerned about there being no fare class available. i have a W fare with a GPU waitlisted but am not that concerned on whether it takes as it is only an 8 hour flight.
Question 2: is it better to check in first and then SDC or not check in and call within the 24 hours of the flight you want to catch?

I have a flight in a few months on 016 ticket that I would like to change from LH to UA and was thinking of using SDC but see some comments that I cannot SDC non UA flights but others say you can.
Question 3: can you SDC LH flights on 016 ticket? The flights involved are LH connecting to LH.

TIA.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Anyone care to opine on the likelihood of a successful G fare SDC on LAX-EWR? Currently on a morning flight but would prefer to swap to one of the redeyes (or the afternoon flight) the night before.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Anyone care to opine on the likelihood of a successful G fare SDC on LAX-EWR? Currently on a morning flight but would prefer to swap to one of the redeyes (or the afternoon flight) the night before.
It is very likely if you try to change to a 787-10 flight, with >300 seats. Good luck.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I certainly understand there can be volatility with available fares but the sudden change of no fares in my class being available when there is no change fee surprised me.
Question 1: Is this unusual?
Availability changes all the time. Did you look at Expert Mode? Was G available on your flight?

Question 2: is it better to check in first and then SDC or not check in and call within the 24 hours of the flight you want to catch?
It doesn't make any difference.

I have a flight in a few months on 016 ticket that I would like to change from LH to UA and was thinking of using SDC but see some comments that I cannot SDC non UA flights but others say you can.
Question 3: can you SDC LH flights on 016 ticket? The flights involved are LH connecting to LH.

TIA.
You definitely won't be able to SDC to an LH flight. You might be able to SDC to an UA-operated flight.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I had LAX-EWR-(DTW) last Thursday. There was at least G2 (because it was me +1) on 4 or 5 EWR flights I noticed I could have moved to.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I'll be SDCing away from the 78J - luckily for me the last redeye of the day is on a 77G (I suppose)...

Originally Posted by Kmxu
It is very likely if you try to change to a 787-10 flight, with >300 seats. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.