Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Hey all

Flying tomorrow out of PDX, but am trying to get an earlier flight. However, the app/website is not letting me SDC. I have two suspicions as to why:
1) I flew into PDX today, and I've had issues before with reservations where the inbound and outbound are close by
2) I requested an upgrade with miles

Should I call the premier desk? I don't think the fares by themselves are an issue, I had the option to SDC today with the same fare class, but one of my flights in in F and the other is in E+ waitlisted.

Is this fixable by calling or am I going to be unable to SDC this one? Btw, I'm fine with forfeiting the miles/upgrade. Would much rather get home earlier. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:07 pm

If your current PDX-AAA fare class is open on the flight you'd like to change to, you should have no problem switching it if you call an agent.

Miles upgrades break just about any possible change except by phone. That may be the source of the issue.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Flying ORF-EWR today, booked on the 7:15pm flight. Last night at T-24, I wanted to SDC to the 5:15pm flight (both 145's). The app didn't show this flight, even though it showed seats available. I called the 1K desk, and the agent initially said I couldn't SDC because the only seat left was full Y fare, and I would have to pay a $300 fare difference to SDC. Then, after I declined, he said because I am 1K, he could force it through (booking now shows M fare, was S).

Looking at that (5:15pm) flight now, it looks like there are seats open in every fare class, even Basic Economy and Saver Award. I guess this is part of the lottery of whether to wait until closer to flight time to see if more seats open up. Still. anyone who paid a fare difference to SDC from one non-stop to another, then noticed open seats, would not have been happy.
I had three calls with 1K agents recently. The first one was related to post #701 , attempting to create a long layover at LAX before an international flight. Even though my fare class was available, 1K agent tried to charge me $1200.
The second one was more interesting. I tried to change PVG-SFO-EWR to PVG-LAX-EWR. App did not allow me to change even though the fare class was available. A 1K agent changed it without any question; she grabbed a higher fare class. Once I arrived at LAX, App gave me no options (very strange) for LAX-EWR. The third call was to attempt to change to connection flights through PSP. This agent tried to sell me a full Y fare starting from PVG although I had flown PVG-LAX. The additional charge was more than $3000!!! Btw, LAX-PSP-EWR had my fare class at that time. My explanation is that agents just tried to follow what computer told them. The first and last calls occurred at night; so I might encounter inexperienced agents. The second call occurred during regular business hours.
Happy travel.

Edit: after the third call, the agent put my original flight back. I got all SDC options available on App afterwards, including LAX-PSP-EWR.
Originally Posted by rankourabu

Any recent experiences of UA allowing to SDC onto the UA metal flight when previously booked on a partner operated codeshare? The flights leave roughly at around the same time.
Yes, I did it at United Club (from AC to UA flight). I had no success with a phone agent for the same request.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2019 at 10:25 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
This agent tried to sell me a full Y fare starting from PVG although I had flown PVG-LAX. The additional charge was more than $3000!!! Btw, LAX-PSP-EWR had my fare class at that time.
This is the correct behavior. It's the app that's wrong.

PSP is not a valid transfer point on a PVG-EWR fare. In order to change to the flights you wanted, the agent had to find a fare that would work. Since most international fares can't be combined end-on-end with domestic fares, it ended up needing to price all the way up to Y.

LAX-PSP-EWR having your fare class was irrelevant, because your fare isn't valid for those flights.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I think it's important to understand that the reason it worked is that the app is ignoring the rules. It's not a question of agent experience or familiarity -- it's just that you got agents who elected to enforce them.

(To be clear, I don't think LAX-PSP-EWR is the least bit abusive. It's just that routing rules prohibit you from inserting a random non-hub city into the middle of your trip in most cases).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is the correct behavior. It's the app that's wrong.

PSP is not a valid transfer point on a PVG-EWR fare. In order to change to the flights you wanted, the agent had to find a fare that would work. Since most international fares can't be combined end-on-end with domestic fares, it ended up needing to price all the way up to Y.

LAX-PSP-EWR having your fare class was irrelevant, because your fare isn't valid for those flights.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I think it's important to understand that the reason it worked is that the app is ignoring the rules. It's not a question of agent experience or familiarity -- it's just that you got agents who elected to enforce them.

(To be clear, I don't think LAX-PSP-EWR is the least bit abusive. It's just that routing rules prohibit you from inserting a random non-hub city into the middle of your trip in most cases).
I believe what you're saying, but I think it contradicts the wiki:

• Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
Maybe the wiki should be updated?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Maybe the wiki should be updated?
The wiki is definitely not correct as written; you can't SDC AUS-LAX-SFO to AUS-LAX-NRT-SFO, for example. But I'm not really sure what change would be appropriate: I don't know if the OP's experience is a one-off or if agents have started being more strict about what changes they'll allow. If there's a new focus on honoring the fare rules, I suspect we'll see more examples in the future.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
We have a YYZ-SFO and onwards booked with YYZ-SFO being UA codeshare, AC metal, booked before YYZ-SFO on UA metal was an option.

I'd really rather not fly AC (somehow 47% overall OTP, and 63% on this particular flight doesnt inspire confidence of not missing the connection to Asia - in addition to being stuck in AC Y-) . Its a United ticket.

Any recent experiences of UA allowing to SDC onto the UA metal flight when previously booked on a partner operated codeshare? The flights leave roughly at around the same time.
About 16 months ago I had SFO-YVR as UA xxxx operated by AC, and a SFO UA agent moved me to a UA flight.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
I have a question regarding the SDC rules for fare buy-ups. My wife and I are currently booked on DEN-LAX-SYD, one of those dirt cheap G-fares that they sold a month ago. I called the 1K desk and asked how much it would be to buy up to the W-fare, so that I could apply GPUs on the itinerary. They gave me the number, but insisted that this would be a voluntary change that would cost a $300 change fee per ticket.

My question is, if I called back within T-24 of departure, could I still buy up to the W-fare then without the change fee (availability of W provided, of course)? Or is a buy-up to a higher fare class always subject to a change fee, regardless of the timing?

Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
I have a question regarding the SDC rules for fare buy-ups. My wife and I are currently booked on DEN-LAX-SYD, one of those dirt cheap G-fares that they sold a month ago. I called the 1K desk and asked how much it would be to buy up to the W-fare, so that I could apply GPUs on the itinerary. They gave me the number, but insisted that this would be a voluntary change that would cost a $300 change fee per ticket.

My question is, if I called back within T-24 of departure, could I still buy up to the W-fare then without the change fee (availability of W provided, of course)? Or is a buy-up to a higher fare class always subject to a change fee, regardless of the timing?

Thanks!
I'd call back and just ask again to buy up to W fare; I think you'll find an agent who will do it without the change fee.

I don't have a ton of experience with SDCs, but I do not think it includes buying up within 24 hours.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danpeake
I don't have a ton of experience with SDCs, but I do not think it includes buying up within 24 hours.
SDC, in general, definitely allows you to buy-up to a different fare class. However, that fare has to be available at the time you're making the request. Many W fares have advance purchase requirements that would scuttle this approach, at least if this is an outbound leg (advance purchase requirements don't apply when changing return legs). I'm not sure if you can buy-up using SDC on the same flight you're already on, though.

That said -- OP, understand that you can't waitlist a GPU within 24 hours of departure, so you'd need open PZ space to be able to upgrade. If you see open PZ now, there's no guarantee it will stick around.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:52 pm

SDC, in general, definitely allows you to buy-up to a different fare class. However, that fare has to be available at the time you're making the request. Many W fares have advance purchase requirements that would scuttle this approach, at least if this is an outbound leg (advance purchase requirements don't apply when changing return legs). I'm not sure if you can buy-up using SDC on the same flight you're already on, though.

That said -- OP, understand that you can't waitlist a GPU within 24 hours of departure, so you'd need open PZ space to be able to upgrade. If you see open PZ now, there's no guarantee it will stick around.
Thanks for the insight. No PZ inventory available right now. Booking desk said more than 10 available seats in Polaris though, and only 3 folks waitlisted. I'm doing this for the first time ever, but I'd say chances are somewhat decent.

Interestingly enough though, the buy-up would not change the fact that the ticket is nonrefundable. So hypothetically speaking, if the upgrade won't clear, I threw good money after bad to ride in coach. HOWEVER, if I were to just cancel the existing ticket and bought a new refundable round trip ticket, it would cost me $15 per ticket less than the fare buy up. And, if the upgrades weren't to clear, we could just cancel the trip altogether. We just found out that my wife is pregnant, and instead of making her get on a 15 hour flight (and back) in Economy Plus, I'd rather turn the Australia trip into a stay-cation.

Last edited by whipwhitaker; Mar 7, 2019 at 1:55 pm Reason: Elaboration on reasons
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the insight. No PZ inventory available right now. Booking desk said more than 10 available seats in Polaris though, and only 3 folks waitlisted. I'm doing this for the first time ever, but I'd say chances are somewhat decent.
Never trust anything you hear from the booking desk. What does inventory look like? Have you checked the future flight status tool at https://cablepick.net/united ? Besides, even if they're right, some GS could buy 9 tickets tomorrow.

Interestingly enough though, the buy-up would not change the fact that the ticket is nonrefundable. So hypothetically speaking, if the upgrade won't clear, I threw good money after bad to ride in coach. HOWEVER, if I were to just cancel the existing ticket and bought a new refundable round trip ticket, it would cost me $15 per ticket less than the fare buy up. And, if the upgrades weren't to clear, we could just cancel the trip altogether.
I'm not sure I follow. If you cancel the existing ticket, that money remains nonrefundable, no matter what you do with it. At best, you end up with nonrefundable flight credit that you have to pay $300 per ticket to use.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:06 pm

I'm not sure I follow. If you cancel the existing ticket, that money remains nonrefundable, no matter what you do with it. At best, you end up with nonrefundable flight credit that you have to pay $300 per ticket to use.
OK, sorry for any confusion. Existing ticket cost $535 a pop, buy up would cost $1,140 plus $300 change fee, for a total of $1,975 per ticket. New ticket costs $1,668 a pop, plus the $300 change fee if I wanted to use the flight credit from canceling the nonref, for a total of $1,968 ($7 cheaper per ticket). But, it would be a refundable V-fare ticket, which we can cancel in case the upgrade doesn't clear by the time we get to the airport.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, sorry for any confusion. Existing ticket cost $535 a pop, buy up would cost $1,140 plus $300 change fee, for a total of $1,975 per ticket. New ticket costs $1,668 a pop, plus the $300 change fee if I wanted to use the flight credit from canceling the nonref, for a total of $1,968 ($7 cheaper per ticket). But, it would be a refundable V-fare ticket, which we can cancel in case the upgrade doesn't clear by the time we get to the airport.
OK. First of all, under no conditions would I pay $1140 plus a change fee in order to waitlist GPUs. I wouldn't even pay $1140 without the change fee. Instead, I'd use miles + copay -- $600 + 30K miles in each direction. The $600 is refunded if the upgrade doesn't clear, so it's basically like your second scenario, but without asking for any waivers.

That said, if you can buy up to W, you can buy up to a refundable V fare as well; you don't need to do the two-step cancellation / rebook that you've described. In either case, if you use any of the credit from a nonrefundable ticket, that amount (plus the change fee, if any) remains nonrefundable. However, the additional money should be refundable -- although I'd make sure to clarify that with the agent.

Finally, make sure that you're checking PZ inventory on just the LAX-SYD leg. Otherwise, if DEN-LAX is PZ0 but LAX-SYD is PZ2+, you'll see PZ0 even though you could actually upgrade the leg that you care about.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:32 pm

OK. First of all, under no conditions would I pay $1140 plus a change fee in order to waitlist GPUs. I wouldn't even pay $1140 without the change fee. Instead, I'd use miles + copay -- $600 + 30K miles in each direction. The $600 is refunded if the upgrade doesn't clear, so it's basically like your second scenario, but without asking for any waivers.

That said, if you can buy up to W, you can buy up to a refundable V fare as well; you don't need to do the two-step cancellation / rebook that you've described. In either case, if you use any of the credit from a nonrefundable ticket, that amount (plus the change fee, if any) remains nonrefundable. However, the additional money should be refundable -- although I'd make sure to clarify that with the agent.

Finally, make sure that you're checking PZ inventory on just the LAX-SYD leg. Otherwise, if DEN-LAX is PZ0 but LAX-SYD is PZ2+, you'll see PZ0 even though you could actually upgrade the leg that you care about.
Thanks for your elaborate response. Unfortunately, the mileage upgrade award won’t work because I don’t have enough miles for the both of us for both ways (actually, not even for one way). So that option is not available to me, unless I bought miles, which would be the worst of the sucker bets in this case.

Buying up the fare plus paying the change fee is a close second. Almost $1,500 per person in order to waitlist the GPUs is ludicrous. I made sure to just check the LAX-SYD and the SYD-LAX legs for PZ inventory, but both are zeroed out at this time. So nothing is in fact available right this second.

Canceling the nonrefundable ticket or changing it into a refundable V-fare seems to be the best option here. I can waitlist my GPUs, and if they don’t clear on the outbound we’ll just cancel the whole thing and stay in Colorado. While the $300 change fee per ticket are gone in this scenario, and the originally paid $535 would be a flight credit which I can use two weeks later on my next business trip, the difference in fare would be refundable. So no real risk involved other than the $300 change fee per ticket, which I would incur anyway if we canceled the trip as-is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.