FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   North TATL 757 fuel stops / diversion delays [2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1642696-north-tatl-757-fuel-stops-diversion-delays-2015-a.html)

vitira Feb 23, 2015 1:22 pm

39 on Feb 16

We were almost diverted OSL-EWR. GA made announcement in the lounge at OSL that we were going to be making a stop in BGR, much to the dismay of many of the pax (especially those who lived in Maine and would have been happy to get off the plane there, if it were allowed). We got on and the pilot talked us through the issues (headwinds) and said that he was negotiating a new flight plan with the company to avoid the stop, explaining that the 20 minutes it would delay the flight would allow us to fly direct. Which actually was the case; we got cleared for a route way up over Greenland and made it in to EWR without issue (as far as I can tell, no Channel 9 on those COdbaUA 757s).

hobo13 Mar 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Seems like CDG-EWR should be added to the list. Looks like maybe 5 diversions in the last month or so.

JOSECONLSCREW28 Mar 28, 2015 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13 (Post 24581174)
Seems like CDG-EWR should be added to the list. Looks like maybe 5 diversions in the last month or so.

Well to be fair the 757 CDG - EWR that diverted the other day diverted because of MX issues not because of running out of gas. It also diverted to LHR and is finally back in EWR after about 2 days of trying to get it fixed.

Channel 9 Mar 29, 2015 12:16 am

Originally Posted by SunLover (Post 24137880)
Don't give Jeff any ideas; or pretty soon we will see the introduction of TATL RJ's... ;)

SunLover

I think Jeff will next move to the Brazzy EMB-120 TATL! United's new mantra (inherited from CO days) "As small as possible"

halls120 Mar 29, 2015 6:02 am

UA 123 LHR-IAD diverted to BGR Friday, yesterday and today. Main reason I chose UA919 for my upcoming flight when I could have confirmed upgrades on UA 123 on the same date.

3Cforme Mar 29, 2015 6:49 am

UA123 is having some visitors in Bangor today:

UA 75 HAM-BGR-EWR

UA 125 TXL-BGR-EWR

UA 55 CDG-BGR-EWR

cfischer Mar 29, 2015 7:33 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 24582877)

UA 75 HAM-BGR-EWR

UA 125 TXL-BGR-EWR

UA 55 CDG-BGR-EWR

How can this be efficient for UA? For 3-4 months per year they have a ton of diversions (costly), misconnecting pax and claims for compensation/hotels etc. which of course they are liable for.
Delta can fly their 752s just fine; UA can't. They either fix this problem or they stop flying 752s to Europe ... it's that simple. I avoid them whenever I can, MX and diversions make for an unpleasant combo.

JOSECONLSCREW28 Mar 29, 2015 7:34 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 24582877)

UA 75 HAM-BGR-EWR

UA 125 TXL-BGR-EWR

UA 55 CDG-BGR-EWR

Add 71 AMS - EWR to that list.

wxguy Mar 29, 2015 7:44 am

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 (Post 24583036)
Add 71 AMS - EWR to that list.

The jet stream is ferocious this week. The other day I was on UA924 IAD-LHR with a flight time of 5:55. Our ground speed was approaching 800mph.

I'm happy I chose UA919 for my return tomorrow -- it's a 777-200ER and hopefully will make it without visiting BGR :)

CO_Nonrev_elite Mar 29, 2015 10:47 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 24583031)
How can this be efficient for UA? For 3-4 months per year they have a ton of diversions (costly), misconnecting pax and claims for compensation/hotels etc. which of course they are liable for.
Delta can fly their 752s just fine; UA can't. They either fix this problem or they stop flying 752s to Europe ... it's that simple. I avoid them whenever I can, MX and diversions make for an unpleasant combo.

It should also be mentioned at the booking process for any ticket that is booked Europe to USA on 752 during the winter months that there is a reasonable chance of diverting. They sell these flights on the basis that they are nonstop, people pay a premium based on them being sold as nonstop. People avoid other competing carriers because they are sold as nonstop.

It's not like its a surprise to UA each year, it's been like this every year for a long time. Either upgrade the aircraft for the winter months, or weight restrict them to the point where the nonstop can always make it. United will say it isn't profitable to weight restrict it, but it's not profitable for the passenger to get jerked around each time it happens. It's just another item on a LONG list where UA doesn't quite value the customer like the other carriers do.

PV_Premier Mar 29, 2015 10:54 am

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite (Post 24583844)
United will say it isn't profitable to weight restrict it, but it's not profitable for the passenger to get jerked around each time it happens.

ah, but at that point it's the passengers' problem and not UA's :-:;)

on that topic, when these diversions occur, are passengers typically compensated?

are hotels/meals provided for misconnecting pax?

i've never experienced a diversion because i've only ever flown TATL on a 752 once (and will never do it again if it can be reasonably avoided).

cfischer Mar 29, 2015 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 24583869)
ah, but at that point it's the passengers' problem and not UA's :-:;)

on that topic, when these diversions occur, are passengers typically compensated?

are hotels/meals provided for misconnecting pax?

i've never experienced a diversion because i've only ever flown TATL on a 752 once (and will never do it again if it can be reasonably avoided).

EU Reg 261 applies ... and UA often manages to get them in late enough to qualify :rolleyes:. Diversions have yielded compensation and accommodation in the rare cases that I have experienced them. Not sure how this turns out for most Y pax ...

CO_Nonrev_elite Mar 29, 2015 1:02 pm

North TATL 757 fuel stops / diversion delays [2015]

No, United blames them on the weather (stronger winds than anticipated) even though they are like this every year

Orion Mar 29, 2015 1:04 pm

UA LHR to IAD

UA 123 LHR to IAD diverted to Bangor today. It is scheduled to arrive IAD about five hours late. The other two flights are B777's and are scheduled to be about forty minutes late.

LASUA1K Mar 29, 2015 2:42 pm

I'm sure UA has done the math, and they prefer to make the stop over weight restricting or having a bigger aircraft.

I avoid the 757 on TATL as I'm based in ORD and like connecting in Europe over a EWR stop. People do prefer the non stop from EWR, I wouldn't risk it though.

UA should really make a comment when booking, that due to winds, the flight may require a stop.