FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   North TATL 757 fuel stops / diversion delays [2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1642696-north-tatl-757-fuel-stops-diversion-delays-2015-a.html)

RNE Mar 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Anecdotally, aren't some fares on TATL 757s less costly than on wide bodies? I know this was the case on my last jaunt across the pond. If so, then isn't that "compensation" for the risk of a fuel stop?

CO_Nonrev_elite Mar 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 24590373)
Anecdotally, aren't some fares on TATL 757s less costly than on wide bodies? I know this was the case on my last jaunt across the pond. If so, then isn't that "compensation" for the risk of a fuel stop?

Usually nonstops price higher than 1-stops

RNE Mar 30, 2015 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite (Post 24590405)
Usually nonstops price higher than 1-stops

Agreed. But I meant 757 nonstops cost less than 767 and 777 nonstops on the same route. And I was speaking anecdotally, of course. ;)

PV_Premier Mar 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 24590496)
Agreed. But I meant 757 nonstops cost less than 767 and 777 nonstops on the same route. And I was speaking anecdotally, of course. ;)

there aren't too many routes where you can have the option between 752 and a widebody... only a few come to mind...

EWR-CDG
EWR-LHR
IAD-LHR

in my very non-scientific sampling of a few random 4 day trips in the near future, the pricing is the same for all outbound and return flights regardless of equipment on those routes. certainly, YMMV as always.

halls120 Mar 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 24590675)
there aren't too many routes where you can have the option between 752 and a widebody... only a few come to mind...

EWR-CDG
EWR-LHR
IAD-LHR

in my very non-scientific sampling of a few random 4 day trips in the near future, the pricing is the same for all outbound and return flights regardless of equipment on those routes. certainly, YMMV as always.

I just booked an IAD-LHR r/t, and the fare was the same for all three flights. Upgrades with GPU were available for all three departures and returns, but I chose one of the 777 flights, because I'm not interested in seeing Goose Bay. :)

Ber2dca Mar 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 24588314)
Because the 752s are all they've got, and UA has taken a good CO idea (752s on short TATLs to secondary stations like DUB / BRS / BFS) and turned it into a bad idea (752s on longer TATLs on the edge of their range capability to primary markets).

Most of the "new" UA top brass are simply the CO execs with new signs on their office doors. So really when you talk about "UA" doing this or that you're still talking essentially about CO.

JOSECONLSCREW28 Mar 30, 2015 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 24588118)
Are they still retiring 11 767's this year?

If they move all the 767's to EWR what will ORD be left with? 787?

We have 3 x LHR, 1 CDG, 1 AMS. I'm sure I'm missing another.

It does seem like UA has some extra slack in the 67 fleet. I had 2 cancel the same day and they still found a 3rd.

All 3-cabin 763s will be getting converted to the 2-cabin 76E standard. Most likely they will route throughout the hubs and some domestic markets instead of being dedicated to a certain hub. No plans at this time to route the 787s thru ORD.

VickyKing Mar 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 (Post 24591219)
All 3-cabin 763s will be getting converted to the 2-cabin 76E standard. Most likely they will route throughout the hubs and some domestic markets instead of being dedicated to a certain hub. No plans at this time to route the 787s thru ORD.

Sounds like a great plan. And with this change, the urge to order the A321LR will be a lot less. Perhaps UA can wait for the later batches with PIPs included before jumping onto it.

Schneestarre Jun 10, 2015 6:26 am

TXL-EWR diverted to LGA

TXL-EWR was diverted to LGA, a couple days ago. I wonder how they handle Immigration clearance in such a case given the fact that LGA doesn't have CBP facilities?

JVPhoto Jun 10, 2015 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Schneestarre (Post 24947643)
TXL-EWR was diverted to LGA, a couple days ago. I wonder how they handle Immigration clearance in such a case given the fact that LGA doesn't have CBP facilities?

That's a 15 mile difference according to GCMap. Was it because of traffic/wx at EWR? I was gone the past few days but I saw on the weather app some cloud/thunderbolt days in NYC.
Did they deplane there or fly back to EWR? I've had the opposite happen twice where we were meant for LGA but ended up at EWR. One time the plane took off and landed at LGA and the other time it terminated at EWR.

milepig Jun 10, 2015 10:06 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 24947757)
That's a 15 mile difference according to GCMap. Was it because of traffic/wx at EWR? I was gone the past few days but I saw on the weather app some cloud/thunderbolt days in NYC.
Did they deplane there or fly back to EWR? I've had the opposite happen twice where we were meant for LGA but ended up at EWR. One time the plane took off and landed at LGA and the other time it terminated at EWR.

When I've been in a similar situation, in my case weather-related combined with running low on fuel. We landed at a near-by airport, they put more fuel on board and then held us there on the plane until we had clearance to proceed to the original destination.