Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2014]
Thread on qualiflying for 2015, Global Services 2015 Notifications (ONLY)
and a thread on FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: GS 2015 -- No Word Yet / Still waiting / Why?

Known facts from United:
  • Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
  • We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
  • Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24280055-post276.html

We appreciate your commitment to United® in 2014, and thank you for making us your choice of airline so often throughout the year. We've carefully reviewed your request to be reconsidered for Global ServicesSM status. Unfortunately, based upon your flight activity, we are unable to extend a Global Services invitation for 2015.

As you plan your travel for 2015, here are a few things to keep in mind:

■ Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier®-qualifying criteria.

■ We evaluate your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

■ Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabin or fully refundable tickets.

On behalf of everyone at United, thank you for your commitment and valued business. We appreciate that you make us your choice in the skies, and will look forward to seeing you on many future flights.

Best regards,
Your Global Services team
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
My PQD was just under $40k and flew 100% INTL flights in biz with mix of fares with one C fare and several P and Z fares.

My domestic flights for the connections were all F or A fare.

Fly into BOS or MHT.

100% of my flights were paid fare in the front cabin on UA metal. Got invited again in GS.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Correct me if I am wrong...I seem to remember reading posts written by some of the most seasoned and reputable FTers in this forum indicating "Location" is simply a unconfirmed myth as one of the considerations for GS qualification.

IMHO, if two persons spend the same $ amount and same cpm, both should have the same contributions to UA.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
Originally Posted by PJRTAMR
Asked on another thread but no replies. I made global services for 2015 with a spend of 59000 and 46 com out of SFO. Moving to Boston this year and am wondering if the standards are lower to make GS due to a much smaller United market. Any insight?
Personally I don't think it is harder to make GS at SFO, especially if you fly high PQD and low PQS on UA metals. If you fly lots of domestic or a mixture of partner flights, then the bottom line for GS is less clear.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
"Your kit status:Shipped! Your Global Services membership materials are on the way. They should arrive in 4–6 weeks."

Didn't they use to ship the GS kit by Fedex? How could it take 4-6 weeks in transit, unless it's being delivered on a UAX flight?
Originally Posted by Ari
USPS Priority Mail in recent years, I think.
Last few years I have received the GS box in the regular mail. Its a cellophaned black box.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
IMHO, if two persons spend the same $ amount and same cpm, both should have the same contributions to UA.
IMHO, this statement doesn't make sense. Different "home" city means different fares, routing, schedules, equipment, operator, and various overhead specific to the airport. It seems to me that all of this would translate to a generally different profitability by "home" city. Is $1,000 spend in San Antonio equivalent to $1,000 spend in Houston? Probably not.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by hookthem
IMHO, this statement doesn't make sense. Different "home" city means different fares, routing, schedules, equipment, operator, and various overhead specific to the airport. It seems to me that all of this would translate to a generally different profitability by "home" city. Is $1,000 spend in San Antonio equivalent to $1,000 spend in Houston? Probably not.
that would certainly make sense to me if UA can track by passengers by route, equipment, etc.

Also, one's mailing address and flying pattern (flight origination and destination) may be quite different.

For example, I am an expatriate. I use my parent's address for all mails, but most of my flights originates either in NY or a location in AsPac. For 2015, most of my flights may originate in Europe....the mailing address is almost meaningless to UA in my case to determine whether to award GS to me.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
I saw quite a few denials this year. The line seems to be ~50k for non-renewals. Has anyone under 45k gotten a non-renewal invite this year?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: United
Just went through EWR GS check in for the first time.

Everyone was friendly and efficient. The nicest guy, though, was a CS person near economy check in. My taxi dropped me off in a spot no where near the GS desk, so I stopped by and asked for directions. He couldn't leave his desk, but was really helpful. Thing is, I had 5 or so people in front of me and waited my turn. He was really helpful and friendly to everyone else too. Kind of helped me feel better about cutting in line at security.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Benefit clarification question ... parents flying together on XN award ticket booked out of their own account. Can I call in and ask for my RPUs to be applied to their itinerary, or must I be listed on the PNR? Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by greenpau
Benefit clarification question ... parents flying together on XN award ticket booked out of their own account. Can I call in and ask for my RPUs to be applied to their itinerary, or must I be listed on the PNR? Thanks.
Yes you can. In fact, I did just that for my parents. And they'll book into PN.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau
You know you could call and ask the GS people directly? They won't bite . Plus the whole point of GS is to think/worry less about rules and consistency.

Anyway, I asked about this recently did this and told me that the miles had to come out of my account (which they were) but I didn't have to be on the res. She also mentioned that she recently got a memo that it was going to change in April (didn't ask any specifics as I was in a rush but something about the account holder being on the same PNR too).
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by edcho
... She also mentioned that she recently got a memo that it was going to change in April (didn't ask any specifics as I was in a rush but something about the account holder being on the same PNR too).
Status inheritance on award tickets is changing in April - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-accounts.html .
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Sawasdee
Award availability and upgrade are the most useful benefit for me. Gotta love to see T > XN > PN
Originally Posted by Kacee
Does that work? If so, nice way to evade the W requirement.
Originally Posted by Ari
Yes, it works.

I just off the phone with GS and am completely confused. I am trying to book a Saver Award that is upgradeable with RPU/GPU for CLD-LAX-OGG. Using Expert Mode, I see the following:

CLD-LAX: Y9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T7, L0, K0, G0, N0, X0
LAX-OGG: F9, A9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R7, RN7, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T7, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

With T>0 and PN>0, shouldn't I be able to book a Saver Award and then upgrade using an instrument? I spoke with two GS reps (only spoke with the 2nd in detail) and both said no. The second went so far as to say that I had to see United Economy (T) fare class availability for this to work. Am I understanding GS benefits completely wrong? Perhaps it is the CLD-LAX United Express single-cabin segment that is causing the issue and there is no XN space?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:26 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
Originally Posted by aslee122
I just off the phone with GS and am completely confused. I am trying to book a Saver Award that is upgradeable with RPU/GPU for CLD-LAX-OGG. Using Expert Mode, I see the following:

CLD-LAX: Y9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T7, L0, K0, G0, N0, X0
LAX-OGG: F9, A9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R7, RN7, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T7, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

With T>0 and PN>0, shouldn't I be able to book a Saver Award and then upgrade using an instrument? I spoke with two GS reps (only spoke with the 2nd in detail) and both said no. The second went so far as to say that I had to see United Economy (T) fare class availability for this to work. Am I understanding GS benefits completely wrong? Perhaps it is the CLD-LAX United Express single-cabin segment that is causing the issue and there is no XN space?

Thanks!
Try look up in expert mode on each flight "individually". I found sometimes fare class display has some glitches when having more than one segment. If individual segment has T>0 and PN >0, you should be able to have a saver award with confirmed upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aslee122
The second went so far as to say that I had to see United Economy (T) fare class availability for this to work.
This doesn't make any sense as a justification for not being able to do what you want to do.

Perhaps you will do better handling this in two steps. First, tell them you want to convert the T to a saver economy award (XN). Then, once that's done, ask them to apply your upgrade to the LAX-OGG segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.