Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 18, 15, 1:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2014]
Thread on qualiflying for 2015, Global Services 2015 Notifications (ONLY)
and a thread on FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: GS 2015 -- No Word Yet / Still waiting / Why?

Known facts from United:
  • Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
  • We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
  • Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24280055-post276.html

We appreciate your commitment to United® in 2014, and thank you for making us your choice of airline so often throughout the year. We've carefully reviewed your request to be reconsidered for Global ServicesSM status. Unfortunately, based upon your flight activity, we are unable to extend a Global Services invitation for 2015.

As you plan your travel for 2015, here are a few things to keep in mind:

■ Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier®-qualifying criteria.

■ We evaluate your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

■ Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabin or fully refundable tickets.

On behalf of everyone at United, thank you for your commitment and valued business. We appreciate that you make us your choice in the skies, and will look forward to seeing you on many future flights.

Best regards,
Your Global Services team
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 15, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador

Time for a new 2015 thread? It should be an interesting year on United

My big hope is that UA solves the preboarding conundrum. Perhaps an invitation for all GS pax to line up at the gate five minutes early outside the boarding lanes?

Last edited by RealFan; Jan 1, 15 at 4:57 pm Reason: Adding content
Old Jan 2, 15, 6:29 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million M; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
No way...makes too much sense
Old Jan 2, 15, 7:08 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by RealFan View Post
Time for a new 2015 thread? It should be an interesting year on United

My big hope is that UA solves the preboarding conundrum. Perhaps an invitation for all GS pax to line up at the gate five minutes early outside the boarding lanes?
This!
Old Jan 2, 15, 7:20 am

Programs: UA lifetime 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime TE, Avis is dumb
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home View Post
This!
While they generally say "please wait to approach the gate area until your boarding group is called", they put those darn BG1, BG2, ... BG5 queues to encourage everyone to line up prior to pre-boarding! Would calling GS 5 min before help this? My experience is that the boarding area will still be crazy crowded
Old Jan 2, 15, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Simple: add a queue for GS and other preboard.
Old Jan 2, 15, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by hookthem View Post
While they generally say "please wait to approach the gate area until your boarding group is called", they put those darn BG1, BG2, ... BG5 queues to encourage everyone to line up prior to pre-boarding! Would calling GS 5 min before help this? My experience is that the boarding area will still be crazy crowded
I hear you. However, I think a five minute buffer would be helpful. You could cut through any boarding group line and let the other pax know that GS pax were paged to the front.

By doing it the way they do it now, you really can't move to the front until the preboard announcement and if you're not at the front of one of the BG lines, it is virtually impossible to fight the crowd. If the GA calls for all GS pax to come forward five minutes before the preboard announcement, I think that would fix things.

By the way, this is what they've been doing at LGA the past few months which is where I got the idea. I think it should be rolled out everywhere else. That way, we don't have to get to the gate early to stand around but can get there within five minutes of the announced boarding time and simply go all the way to the front around the lines and just wait there.

Originally Posted by Skacorica View Post
Simple: add a queue for GS and other preboard.
In most airports, I'm afraid there's not enough space to do this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 2, 15 at 1:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Jan 2, 15, 9:11 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by RealFan View Post
I hear you. However, I think a five minute buffer would be helpful. You could cut through any boarding group line and let the other pax know that GS pax were paged to the front.

By doing it the way they do it now, you really can't move to the front until the preboard announcement and if you're not at the front of one of the BG lines, it is virtually impossible to fight the crowd. If the GA calls for all GS pax to come forward five minutes before the preboard announcement, I think that would fix things.

By the way, this is what they've been doing at LGA the past few months which is where I got the idea. I think it should be rolled out everywhere else. That way, we don't have to get to the gate early to stand around but can get there within five minutes of the announced boarding time and simply go all the way to the front around the lines and just wait there.
They have been doing it in FRA too and I liked it.
Old Jan 2, 15, 9:59 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hookthem View Post
If people don't line up ahead of time it would be chaos at the time of announcement. On a recent flight from SNA I arrived at the gate 30 minutes prior to boarding and there were more then 50 people ahead of me in BG1. At least it was a peaceful line...
Old Jan 2, 15, 2:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
My wish is that a group of ground agents carry me through the masses on their shoulders, but I'm unlikely to get that to happen.

We had a baby this year and my travel was abruptly stopped, so my first year of GS likely is to be my last for a while, but the early boarding thing is a nice but goofy benefit.

Really not feasible to wade through a line of 20+ Group 1 boarders unless you are close to the front of the line, and if you are close to the front of the line, you do not need the special early boarding.

If I'm feeling cranky, I wade through the group. If I'm feeling crafty, I sneak around through one of the less populated other boarding groups. If I'm lazy, I just board whenever my space in line happens.

I'm going to miss GS next year. I did not miss a single upgrade opportunity this year.
Old Jan 2, 15, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I thought I read on the 2014 thread that someone got their invite yesterday as a newbie. Are any of the newbie invites coming through yet?
Old Jan 2, 15, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by DENflyer3 View Post
I thought I read on the 2014 thread that someone got their invite yesterday as a newbie. Are any of the newbie invites coming through yet?
One person got an invite on the notifications thread. I haven't seen anything else. I can speak for myself (53k PQD, 50 cpm) and a friend (90k PQD, 45 cpm) and we haven't seen anything yet. Denver Market.
Old Jan 2, 15, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-XP
on the mystatus.united.com page it says:

"Enjoy your 2015 Global Services status, with all the benefits and services that come with it.Your current Global Services status and benefits are valid through January 31st, 2015"

I guess that means I re-qualified?
Old Jan 2, 15, 4:23 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Hopefully GS GPU and RPU should continue to clear to PN.

Also, awards using GS miles should inherit GS status regardless who is traveling.
Old Jan 2, 15, 6:42 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
My wishes for 2015:

-LAX GFL return ASAP
-unrealistic wish for GS on UA BF to get invite to FCL in stations like TPE and PVG where partner lounge is utilized
-higher success rate for prioritized meal choice
-complimentary and mandatory charm school sessions for UA EWR based airport staff
-direct number to access HNL and Dearborn call centers. I am tired of educating IAH based agents on UA policies. (two weeks ago I had to change an international flight and was told that the GPU would be lost and the agent pulled another. Not forfeited, just lost she explained. Called back the next day to get it added back to my account. And so many other examples....)
Old Jan 2, 15, 7:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by jbharvey View Post
on the mystatus.united.com page it says:

"Enjoy your 2015 Global Services status, with all the benefits and services that come with it.Your current Global Services status and benefits are valid through January 31st, 2015"

I guess that means I re-qualified?
Somewhere above that, it probably says:
"We are still finalizing our Global Services℠ invitations for 2015. Please check back after January 12. Reserved for our top-tier Premier members, Global Services status is based on many criteria, most notably how your flight activity compares to others'. This exclusivity helps us deliver the best possible service to our very best customers."

You'll note that your message says January 31st, 2015, not 2016.

You have the same message I have, and I almost assuredly won't qualify in 2015.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: