Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you flown UA/ANA to Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by geofflaredo
thank you for trying to bring discussion back to my original question/issue - my wife and I are both 5'10" and "normal" weight. Which certainly sounds like a "knee crusher" experience back of the bus on NH.
I have flown several times on ANA in Y on the NRT/BKK route. When they flew the 767, it was a real knee crusher. They have since changed to a 777 which is not nearly as bad. I am 6'1'' and survived. (Good tip - take out all the crap from the seat back pocket and put it in the overhead bin once all the suitcases are loaded. Gives you a significant amount of extra knee room).

If ANA was still flying the 767 on the route, I would not have flown it anymore. Once was enough for that

I also agree that the service on ANA has been good. The food is edible and the FAs are very active and accommodating. I will post some pics of the economy service at the end of this post in case you are interested.

That said - I would still like to find a better way to get to BKK...and I don't think it will be on United. If they would open up HKG as a transfer point at a reasonable W fare, I would be much more likely to stick around. After much searching, it seems United wants to route deep discount economy fares to BKK through HKG. Anything eligible for GPU, they want to force you into a NRT route.

As mentioned, here are some photos of the ANA Y cabin service. These are from late 2014:

Beer/wine is provided at no cost with each of the meals. A bottle of water is also on each meal tray.

IIRC:
For the NRT->BKK flight, a meal is served shortly after takeoff. There were several drink runs throughout the rest of the flight and drinks were always available in the galley.

For the BKK-NRT flight, a muffin and water was served after takeoff. A meal was served shortly before landing. Again, drink runs were plentiful. Good service all around.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by LNKed

I have never had a bad experience in NH economy. In fact, economy seats on one configuration of the 787 the pitch is 33-34 inches which is essentially Y+. (Not flown on intra-Asian routes but worth mentioning.) Yes, the other configs are comparable to Y-, but if I'm getting the far better service of ANA I can get over that. (I'm 5'11" by the way)
You had flown NH's long haul 787 in 2-4-2 or 3-3-3 config ? I believe 2-4-2 has 34" pitch but 3-3-3 only has 31", all 2-4-2 will config into 3-3-3 this year.

Also, NH's intra-asia 787 are also 31" in Y too, intra-Asia 787 that are 2-4-2 will reconfig into 3-3-3 as well.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
UA needs to add the codeshare TG flights back from HKG-BKK.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by flybit
Yes, that would be Flyer Friendly.

So no, that's not in the cards.

Plus NH might not be happy with that.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
BR is the only one that offer a true premium economy product even for intra-asia flights. For CX, however, when it is premium economy for intra-asia flights, you only get the seat, no upgraded meal and no extra amenities, it is just a better E+ seat ! (no legrest except the first row)
The CX A333 I flew on about 5 weeks ago certainly had legrests in every row in PE.

And regardless, I'll take the CX regional PE seat any day over E+. As travelinmanS said, to compare the two is laughable.

When United can raise the value prop of E+ to a point where it can compete with Asian carriers (or even Delta!) then we can start having a conversation.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by flybit
Yup; and while were at it how about non-stop UA TATL flights to codeshare with the following TG non-stop routes:

BRU-BKK
CDG-BKK
CPH-BKK
FCO-BKK
FRA-BKK
LHR-BKK
MAD-BKK
MXP-BKK
MUC-BKK
OSL-BKK
ZRH-BKK

From the US east coast it is just as quick and easy to fly eastbound to Thailand, and I quite prefer the BKK arrival and departure times of the TG european flights.

SunLover
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by SunLover
Yup; and while were at it how about non-stop UA TATL flights to codeshare with the following TG non-stop routes:

BRU-BKK
CDG-BKK
CPH-BKK
FCO-BKK
FRA-BKK
LHR-BKK
MAD-BKK
MXP-BKK
MUC-BKK
OSL-BKK
ZRH-BKK

From the US east coast it is just as quick and easy to fly eastbound to Thailand, and I quite prefer the BKK arrival and departure times of the TG european flights.

SunLover
How easy or difficult is it to get award seats in C on these flights? Does anyone know?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Award seats in C are doable on the European->BKK routes on TG. Not a guaranteed thing, but availability is pretty good. It has tightened up just like all award availability, but there is still some out there. If you have flexibility on where to connect (assuming you are starting in the USA), you have a good chance of finding something available.

F is also regularly available, but the sharp increase in award miles needed has pretty much ruled those out for me now.

TG flies a version of the 777-300 which has flat bed seats in J. This plane is usually on the OSL, CPH, ARN,and BRU routes out of Europe. Other than the A380, all the other TG plane types have slanty-seats in J.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sapguy
How easy or difficult is it to get award seats in C on these flights? Does anyone know?
Easy. You have to do that routing both directions.

TG only has lie-flats on a few of those flights.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
TG only has lie-flats on a few of those flights.
It's about half:

Lie-flat J:
ARN 773
BRU 773
CDG 380
CPH 773
FRA 380
OSL 773
ARN 773
DME 772/773 (rotating lie-flat)

SunLover
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
and...... what PQD and PQM credit did you get?

the mileage and dollar credits matter to me a lot. so, if I choose to fly IAD-NRT-BKK, UA metal on first leg and NH on the second, will I get 100% credit for miles and dollars (yes, i'd buy the entire itinerary through UA).
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the mileage and dollar credits matter to me a lot. so, if I choose to fly IAD-NRT-BKK, UA metal on first leg and NH on the second, will I get 100% credit for miles and dollars (yes, i'd buy the entire itinerary through UA).
It is treated just like any other flights...the same rules for PQM and PQD earning.

Assuming you purchase on 016 ticket stock, it is not a bulk fare, etc..then you will earn PQM and PQD on the flights.

You will not earn Lifetime miles on the ANA segments.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:03 pm

I purchased and flew BKK->OMA with the BKK to NRT segment on ANA. Everything went okay and the plane landed safely. I was credited the miles.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
It is treated just like any other flights...the same rules for PQM and PQD earning.

Assuming you purchase on 016 ticket stock, it is not a bulk fare, etc..then you will earn PQM and PQD on the flights.

You will not earn Lifetime miles on the ANA segments.
Be careful though. At times, I'm noticing that the early morning flight NH BKK-NRT that you want is a B787 Dreamliner, with fewer seats, requiring you to pay full Y for a ticket to get you to NRT in time to connect to UA TPAC.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Be careful though. At times, I'm noticing that the early morning flight NH BKK-NRT that you want is a B787 Dreamliner, with fewer seats, requiring you to pay full Y for a ticket to get you to NRT in time to connect to UA TPAC.
hmm, thanks. i'm looking deep into next year and, at least on the listings so far, it's showing 777s. that can always change, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.