Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you flown UA/ANA to Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Have you considered going through ICN and using OZ on the ICN-BKK sector? better legroom and seat width in Y than NH
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
you can leave SFO at Midnight:40 or 1:15am and arrive the same day in BKK before noon.
that would be truly amazing.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by randyqx
that would be truly amazing.
That would be amazing, so I checked. If you fly BR SFO-TPE-BKK and leave SFO at 00:05, you arrive into BKK at 11:50 the next day.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
That would be amazing, so I checked. If you fly BR SFO-TPE-BKK and leave SFO at 00:05, you arrive into BKK at 11:50 the next day.
i am less amazed
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Ahhh right I see on the EVA site they put the date in red instead of a +1. Mea culpa!
But at least on the way home you leave BKK at 17:20 and arrive SFO 19:20 the same day.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you flown UA/ANA to Bangkok?

CX and BR are the only reasonable same carrier all the way through options on this route. Their premium economy is often about the same as UA charges for the W "upfare" and will give a relaxing ride all the way through to BKK. Try it once, you'll never to back to UA/NH or UA/anything even if you can upgrade the UA portion.

CI also often has deep discount C class available which isn't as cheap as premium econ but isn't bad either.

All these choices will earn miles in a major US carriers' program if that is important to you.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
CX and BR are the only reasonable same carrier all the way through options on this route. Their premium economy is often about the same as UA charges for the W "upfare" and will give a relaxing ride all the way through to BKK. Try it once, you'll never to back to UA/NH or UA/anything even if you can upgrade the UA portion.

CI also often has deep discount C class available which isn't as cheap as premium econ but isn't bad either.

All these choices will earn miles in a major US carriers' program if that is important to you.
CX premium economy from LAX stops in Hong Kong.
It is OK I think they give you 3 more inches than UA Econ P.
But from HK to BKK it is not premium economy, only coach.

This CX flight runs from $2100+

You can book the same route in UA economy plus for about 1/2 of what CX charges.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
CX premium economy from LAX stops in Hong Kong.
Compared to what - the UA nonstop? You know that there are no nonstops from the US to BKK on any carrier, right?

It is OK I think they give you 3 more inches than UA Econ P.
It's more than just pitch, it's also a wider seat and an entirely different class of service. And if you are comparing the UA 744, it's more than three inches extra on CX.

You can book the same route in UA economy plus for about 1/2 of what CX charges.
The comparison was to an upgradeable UA W fare, which runs about $1700 from SFO, and includes a seven hour flight NRT-BKK on NH's kneecrusher.

Not sure you really understand the point of this discussion, which is about how to get to BKK without having to endure the kneecrusher for seven hours.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
NH is putting 787s w their flatbeds on the route this year though, right?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No idea, but it will still suck in Y unless you're able to score an exit row.

If one is willing to pay for J, there are lots of good options to BKK. The problem that gives rise to this endless discussion is trying to use a GPU TPAC on a single UA ticket without getting stuck in Y on NH for 7 hours.

While there are lots of theoretical connection points to various Asian carriers (TPE, ICN, etc.), the reality is that UA is funneling this business to NH via NRT with its through-fare pricing of the W. If you want to pay less than $2K, that's basically the only option.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I sure hope so - I still can't believe that NH ordered their "intra-Asia" 787's with their traditional bamboo barco-loungers. Although some find the seat nice the pressure points for me are all wrong and it is an excrutiating experience to say the least in J..... I much prefer TG if I can get on their A380 - so nice....
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by tcc_dc
I have done the ANA segment a couple times, and it was meh even compared to UA business class.

I am actually doing the IAD-PEK-BKK via Thai Airways from PEK-BKK in February to see if that is better.
The only ANA regional J product I have experience on is the couple runs NRT-MNL. Like 4hrs? I thought it was pretty darn good service. Way better than UA domestic F.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:34 pm

I just flew BKK-NRT in NH/J a few days ago. The experience was AWFUL and had me cursing all the way for my stupidity in choosing NH over TG for this leg.

The seating in a 777 was 2-3-2 (compare that to BR's 2-2 on the same aircraft); so the seat width was way too narrow and the cabin was crowded. Reclining the seat was by those old UA-style levers and of course it did not go flat. From the seating perspective, a very uncomfortable flight.

In spite of a 7 AM take off, the main meal was served about 4 hours later; a snack was available on demand and i ordered the Foccacia Cheese & Ham sandwich; unfortunately it was inedible and I abandoned it after a couple of bites. The bread was all soggy and the ham was a thin slice that tasted of nothing.

The Japanese main meal that I opted for was OK, but I have generally had much better on JL.

The toilets were not in a good shape and were obviously not cleaned by the crew between uses.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by Kacee
Compared to what - the UA nonstop? You know that there are no nonstops from the US to BKK on any carrier, right?

It's more than just pitch, it's also a wider seat and an entirely different class of service. And if you are comparing the UA 744, it's more than three inches extra on CX.

The comparison was to an upgradeable UA W fare, which runs about $1700 from SFO, and includes a seven hour flight NRT-BKK on NH's kneecrusher.

Not sure you really understand the point of this discussion, which is about how to get to BKK without having to endure the kneecrusher for seven hours.
If you read the thread you would see my suggestion to go through Hong Kong, not NRT.
If you did some research the W fare on UA is about 1400 RT from lax to HK.

Only 3 hours of knee crush instead of 7, HK to BKK.

Also, if you knew about the route you can get an Emirates air Bus class seat for about $550 RT, HK BKK.

So for less than $2000, you are in bus. class the entire trip. That is if you qualify for global upgrades.

If you think CX prem econ. for over 2k is worth it, then go for it.

Last edited by Asiatraveler15; Jan 4, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Air India is now in Star Alliance and they offer discount biz fares ex-BKK to the US.. for example, $2500 r/t ai BKK-ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.