Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you flown UA/ANA to Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Except it's a Y or B fare on CX and the total ticket costs nearly 2x the NRT connection on NH.

That's why BKK has become such a dilemma for UA flyers. There are no good options anymore.
Particularly from SFO. Other options are either enormously more expensive or have extremely long layovers or both. TG connection to UA is $10k business class.

Suffer through the barcaloungers on NH.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I just flew TG last night to BKK from NRT on the A380 - wow what a ride and I highly recommend TG - and NH is good in business - but not so much in Economy... I'm with those that go through HKG - the 7 hour flight from NRT to BKK in Economy, and then landing at midnight, is just brutal...
The TG 380 is a fantastic ride in J. Bummer that UA jacked up the intra-Asia redemption levels so ridiculously high (40,000 miles one way in J, 60,000 in F).

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have seen ua.com offer the HKG routing at the very lowest fare buckets, but the routing disappears when specify W or higher buckets.
Yes it's very strange, if you specify W or higher on the UA segment, the CX connection doubles in price.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
The TG 380 is a fantastic ride in J. Bummer that UA jacked up the intra-Asia redemption levels so ridiculously high (40,000 miles one way in J, 60,000 in F.
Yes it is ridiculous - I splurged and took the flight in F - the food and service were outstanding - as was the Dom - a 2004...
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yes it is ridiculous - I splurged and took the flight in F - the food and service were outstanding - as was the Dom - a 2004...
An excellent new year's splurge!

When I flew that route in J, it seemed like they were handing out a lemongrass scented warm towel every three minutes or so
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
I take this leg all the time.

UA/LAX to NRT. Then ANA to BKK.

Coach for 7 more hours sucks after you have already been sitting.

It is pretty typical coach. They do have a decent entertainment system.
The food is pretty poor.

My last flight this year I changed the route. LAX to SFO then to Hong Kong.

Form HK it is only 3 hours to BKK. I use Thai air(star alli member) with miles or just pay.
It is about $300 RT HK to BKK.

I am booking this route thru HK for just about all my trips in 2015.
Originally Posted by Madisonman39
I live in DC, too and I've taken the flight to HKG. You don't have to go on a non *A carrier from HKG to BKK. Take Ethiopian. The connection is good, the airline is inexpensive and it is only a 2.5 hour flight instead of the 7 hours. What I've done is flown up to EWR and then taken the flight from their to HKG. It is a much better configuration than the IAD to NRT route and well worth the extra stop.
Curious how you (or any other FTers) are booking the HKG routing with separate tickets. I wouldn't mind doing it this way but the risk of irrops would seem to be too high to have separate PRNs.

How do you handle it when/if the TPAC leg causes misconnect?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:07 pm

Curious how you (or any other FTers) are booking the HKG routing with separate tickets. I wouldn't mind doing it this way but the risk of irrops would seem to be too high to have separate PRNs.

How do you handle it when/if the TPAC leg causes misconnect?
It just depends on your risk tolerance. I've booked separate tickets connecting to CX at HKG and would do it again. This, despite having a forced overnight last time due to mx delay SFO-HKG. You arrive so late BKK even if the connection works that the delay isn't that big a deal. There was no change fee on my CX discount J ticket, Shangri-La Bangkok was great about not charging me for the night I missed, and UA went above and beyond by giving me a hotel voucher for HKG. Though I would not count on that happening again.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Madisonman39
I live in DC, too and I've taken the flight to HKG. You don't have to go on a non *A carrier from HKG to BKK. Take Ethiopian. The connection is good, the airline is inexpensive and it is only a 2.5 hour flight instead of the 7 hours. What I've done is flown up to EWR and then taken the flight from their to HKG. It is a much better configuration than the IAD to NRT route and well worth the extra stop.
Thanks. This is exactly what we did on our trip this month and it worked well, and Ethiopian was cheap - MUCH cheaper than TG. FYI - we were originally booked from EWR, but I just hate that airport, so kept looking for new R availability. day before travel, switched to the ORD flight. Glad i did; EWR arrived in HKG 90 minutes late, so we would have missed connection by a mile (it was tight anyway, under an hour). ORD flight arrived a little early, easy peasy.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
It just depends on your risk tolerance. I've booked separate tickets connecting to CX at HKG and would do it again. This, despite having a forced overnight last time due to mx delay SFO-HKG. You arrive so late BKK even if the connection works that the delay isn't that big a deal. There was no change fee on my CX discount J ticket, Shangri-La Bangkok was great about not charging me for the night I missed, and UA went above and beyond by giving me a hotel voucher for HKG. Though I would not count on that happening again.
The way we handled it this time: we had tix HKG-BKK on Ethiopian. I also had award tix on TG's first flight out of HKG (arranged that purchase through UA) in the morning, just in case. The connection worked, and when i got into BKK i went online and cancelled the TG itin. Refund of the small charge appeared immediately, and the miles will follow.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by geofflaredo
The way we handled it this time: we had tix HKG-BKK on Ethiopian.
Unfortunately Ethiopian is only flying that route once a week right now.

If arriving from SFO, the only current same-day connection that's viable the other six days of the week is via CX.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Unfortunately Ethiopian is only flying that route once a week right now.
And they're scheduled to end it in April 2015.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
risk tolerance was another reason i booked the TPE connection to BR versus the HKG connection to CX (though, admittedly, R space at booking was the primary motivation coupled with the possibility of *A upgrade award on BR). i figured UA/BR would do a better job in IRROPs than UA/CX. i knew i would also be able to interline my bags which was a further motivating factor. the connection in TPE was long enough that UA would have really had to screw the pooch for it to cause a problem, and in any case my BR ticket was refundable.

if i find myself needing to go to BKK again and having to book it on *A i would probably take the same route. however, i think next time i would just go CX the whole way.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: 1k
I have seen ua.com offer the HKG routing at the very lowest fare buckets, but the routing disappears when specify W or higher buckets.

I agree with the majority that indicates no good BKk options anymore with United. I am leaning toward a status match with AA for their new HKG routes and further travel onto BKK on CX.

8 SWUs and mileage-based RDMs (at least for now) plays into the decision as well. On the down side, I have been reading that AAs new HKG route is a tough upgrade.
I called about this W from SFO to HK to BKK.
They said it is because there is no star alliance flight leaving in time HK to BKK.
The sfo flight arrives at 8pm and there is a Thai air at 845 but they told me it is not enough time to make the connection.

Once I hit HK, I am on my own. HK air, Cathay Pac, or Emirates all have later flights.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
Have you flown UA/ANA to Bangkok?

Flew HND-BKK on ANA's 787 in Y on the 8 across version. NEVER AGAIN. I booked a paid Rt on ANA. After arriving at my hotel in Bangkok I booked a TG flight back to HND using miles.

There should be regulations against this type of seat period.

Last edited by kenziid3; Jan 3, 2015 at 5:50 am Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kenziid3
Flew HND-BKK on ANA's 787 in Y on the 8 across version. NEVER AGAIN.
Believe those are being phased out for 9 across, or at least I've seen it reported.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Believe those are being phased out for 9 across, or at least I've seen it reported.
This is what I have heard at well from some friends that work at NH and should be phased in soon. I too agree that the NH product in Y is punishing for an average sized westerner...

I'm currently at BKK TG F lounge after a very fun night in N\BKK celebrating the new year - now heading back to Tokyo to recover on the TG 380 in F - OMG the service here on TG is phenomenal - I have my own private suite in the F lounge after being driven here on a cart with a bunch of people to take care of everything.... I forgot what an international F lounge is really like lol... Of course it cost me 120k miles roundtrip but damn - this is almost worth it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.