Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS 2015 -- No Word Yet / Still waiting / Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread is for those that have not received affirmative notification of 2015 GS notification. So far appears to be only renewals and not new qualifiers. Question about how and when further selections will be made and posting of status for feedback is appropriate for this thread.
For checking 2015 elite status and membership kit shipment status, see mystatus.united.con
For posting actual GS notifications please use Global Services 2015 Notifications (ONLY)

For general discussion of GS benefits and what is need for qualification, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2015]

This multi-thread approach is because a few members have asked for this separation to see if some trends / criteria for section can be determined.
Print Wikipost

GS 2015 -- No Word Yet / Still waiting / Why?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:55 am

Interesting.

Any idea why StarAlliance inventory is so much lower when trying to book though United than directly via the StarAlliance carrier? Is it United that is blocking it? For example, united.com rarely lets me book F on Swiss ZRH - SFO. It will only let me book business class. But if I go on swiss.com or look at the load for the same flight it shows that the entire F bucket is available.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ew6050
Interesting.

Any idea why StarAlliance inventory is so much lower when trying to book though United than directly via the StarAlliance carrier? Is it United that is blocking it? For example, united.com rarely lets me book F on Swiss ZRH - SFO. It will only let me book business class. But if I go on swiss.com or look at the load for the same flight it shows that the entire F bucket is available.
Miles and More gets extra award space for it's members

Seats for sale does not equal available award space regardless
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Interesting.

You're confusing separate issues.

Codeshare inventory is typically a limited subset of total inventory, which is what you're referring to. So when you book an LX operated flight under a UA flight number, you will typically see different inventory from what LX offers under the LX (native) flight number.

If you can get UA to book using the native LX flight number (not as a codeshare), you should have full access to LX inventory.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:14 am

GFL Access? Do you mean Global First Lounge access even if you aren't in Global First seat?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
GFL Access? Do you mean Global First Lounge access even if you aren't in Global First seat?
GS are able to access the GFL on an int'l business class booking.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Back on the subject of this thread...Why on earth does it take two weeks into the new year to determine the GS recipients? Sort of ridiculous and seems like a pretty major {mess} when you're dealing with your most profitable customers.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 29, 2014 at 10:17 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, LH FT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Presidents Club, National Exec Elite,
Originally Posted by Skacorica
Back on the subject of this thread...Why on earth does it take two weeks into the new year to determine the GS recipients? Sort of ridiculous and seems like a pretty major {mess} when you're dealing with your most profitable customers.
I think somebody dropped the ball on this one. My guess is that the team tasked to put this together messed something up and is now delayed. Just like when you hear an IT integration will take 2 months and then a year later it finally happens. This is a way to lose business for those like myself who might give more money now to Lufthansa or Swiss because frankly they are better airlines and without GS I really don't {care} about flying United because either way I'll be 1k.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 29, 2014 at 10:18 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by NikolaTesla
I think somebody dropped the ball on this one. My guess is that the team tasked to put this together messed something up and is now delayed. Just like when you hear an IT integration will take 2 months and then a year later it finally happens. This is a way to lose business for those like myself who might give more money now to Lufthansa or Swiss because frankly they are better airlines and without GS I really don't {care} about flying United because either way I'll be 1k.
That's the dangerous game they are playing with me, too. Need to book an A fare to Sydney in late Jan, and if I do not get GS renewal by the time I need to make a decision, I will not hesitate to fly QF.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 29, 2014 at 10:18 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect mod edit
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
I made a conscious choice in 2014 to go out of my way to maximize spend with UA to determine whether that would yield GS status. SFO-based, and fly lots of TPAC and TATL in paid business class (although often Z or P), along with a fair amount of expensive domestic hub-to-hub economy fares. I also bought a few domestic A fares this year. If it's not sufficient to earn GS, I'll probably move almost all of the international business class travel to LH and SQ in 2015, as making 1K (both PQM and PQD) will be easy with the travel that logically goes to UA anyway.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
No. UA doesn't earn the revenue when it issues a ticket on another carrier on its own stock. It's simply acting as a travel agent.
I thought the purpose of the profit-sharing agreements with LH on TATL routes was to address this.

Am I incorrect? Does it honestly matter (for GS qualification) if I book LH or UA on a route that both airlines serve if the timing of the LH flight is better for me?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Does it honestly matter (for GS qualification) if I book LH or UA on a route that both airlines serve if the timing of the LH flight is better for me?
I think you will get conflicting answers to this question, with some saying that only UA operated flights count towards GS. I have no idea what the answer is.

Your question is much more subtle, btw, than the one I was responding to. That poster was asking whether any ticket purchased on 016 stock would qualify for GS spend on the theory that "UA collected the revenue." That's obviously not the case.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you will get conflicting answers to this question, with some saying that only UA operated flights count towards GS. I have no idea what the answer is.

Your question is much more subtle, btw, than the one I was responding to. That poster was asking whether any ticket purchased on 016 stock would qualify for GS spend on the theory that "UA collected the revenue." That's obviously not the case.
Fair enough, thanks for the reply. Guess we'll see. My last TATL flight of the year was on LH (purchased on 016 stock and originally bought under the UA codeshare number; only swapped to the LH flight number so I could apply a GPU). My PQD haven't posted yet (still shows "processing), but they would put me up near $48k for the year.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
I thought the purpose of the profit-sharing agreements with LH on TATL routes was to address this.

Am I incorrect? Does it honestly matter (for GS qualification) if I book LH or UA on a route that both airlines serve if the timing of the LH flight is better for me?
The purpose of a JV is surely not so that UA can give PQDs for LH metal.

Seriously though, you are conflating a number of issues. Does UA get revenue for the flight? Does UA award PQD for the flight? Does UA consider the flight with respect to awarding GS status? Those are all separate questions (except that if the answer to either of the first two is "no", the answer to the third is almost certainly "no").

Remember that UA will not award PQD if the LH ticket is not on 016 stock, regardless of the existence of JV. However, UA will award PQD for any PQM-earning *A ticket that is issued on 016 stock - again, regardless of the existence of JV. The posed rationale for this phenomenon is that UA needs to know the revenue of the ticket in order to issue PQDs.

That said, historically it's been UA metal only for GS qualification. Hard to believe that would have changed.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
While I'm not expecting to make GS (78K PQM, $8,419 PQD ...) I do love reading this thread. It's fun to hear how people try and figure out the rules to an unpublished program And speaking of which, why is everyone looking at what they have already flown instead of mentioning anything about what they already have booked for the next year? If I were running the GS program, I'd definitely look to see who is sticking with my company along with who has provided us the most business (and some other parameters) then determine the intersection of those groups.

It's unlikely I'll ever make GS as I only fly for pleasure. Eight years ago I make the decision to make 1MM by the time I hit 40 ... two years to go and less than 187K miles to go ... slowly but surely In the meantime, while I'm waiting to hit my mark, please keep posting about yours regarding GS!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SFHokie
While I'm not expecting to make GS (78K PQM, $8,419 PQD ...) I do love reading this thread. It's fun to hear how people try and figure out the rules to an unpublished program And speaking of which, why is everyone looking at what they have already flown instead of mentioning anything about what they already have booked for the next year? If I were running the GS program, I'd definitely look to see who is sticking with my company along with who has provided us the most business (and some other parameters) then determine the intersection of those groups.

It's unlikely I'll ever make GS as I only fly for pleasure. Eight years ago I make the decision to make 1MM by the time I hit 40 ... two years to go and less than 187K miles to go ... slowly but surely In the meantime, while I'm waiting to hit my mark, please keep posting about yours regarding GS!
Most book last minute. So looking at next year is useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.