Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Receipt of 2015 (Jan 2016 expiration) MileagePlus Elite Card/Packets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Receipt of 2015 (Jan 2016 expiration) MileagePlus Elite Card/Packets

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Finally received mine 11MAY, after I asked UA where it was on 18APR.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by RicoBHI
I've called three times now (twice in March, and once again yesterday) to request my 2015 1K materials.
I've called and emailed about 4 times since March, still no kit.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
I'm looking on the MyStatus page and I don't see anything mentioning the Gold Kit. Have they taken it off or do they not send out Gold Kits anymore?

It's my first time getting Gold and, even though I know it's not much, I want the swag.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: Gold Elite
United Mileage Plus Elite ...NOT

Living in Caracas (well, that's my home, anyway. I spend a majority of time as far away as possible these days), I have a unique problem with United's "elite" customer service. As our mail system is not reliable, I asked if I could pay for FedEx service at my own expense, as it at least includes tracking. (Oh, and I pay my United stuff in dollars, not in Bolivars for those of you that know our issues!) Here is the exchange (any help or ideas are appreciated):

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

Submitted: 10/1/2015 2:07:40 AM
Remote Host: X.X.X.X
User Agent: AppleMAC-Safari
Signed In: Yes

Name: Sir Joseph Gilmore
E-mail Address: [email protected]
MileagePlus Number: MUXXXXXXX
Premier Status: 2
Category: None
Subject: Premier Program
Reply: Yes

Things in Venezuela seem to be deteriorating rapidly. I've never received my MP Silver package (or even my Club card with my new merged number (MUXXXXX)). With my Gold packet getting ready to send, would it be possible for me to pay for FedEX shipping to my home address in Caracas? You can send it collect on delivery FedEx, if needed. I would also like to get a replacement Silver package and Club card with new merged number sent the same way. Please advise if this is possible.

Gracias!
Joe Gilmore

Easy right? "No problemo Sir Joseph. We'll get that right out to you! Sorry for the inconvenience! We value all our elite flyers and club members. Thank you for using our products!"

...Not so fast... This was the response.....

Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2015 05:38
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Premier Program (KMM30036400V13828L0KM)

MUXXXXXX

Hello Sir Gilmore:

We’re always glad to hear from Premier Gold members like you. Thanks for writing.

Unfortunately since our Premier cards and kits are fulfilled by a outside vendor, we are unable to FEDEX the kit to you.

We have requested a Premier Gold card and kit be sent to the primary address on file. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. You may track your card’s processing and shipping date online at http://premierstatus.united.com.

In the meantime, you may print your MileagePlus® card online. Please visit www.united.com and from the “My Account” page, click “Print Duplicate MileagePlus Card” located below the Premier status qualification information. You can also access a copy of your MileagePlus card on the United App, which is available to smartphone users.

We're glad we could help. Don't hesitate to contact us again if there's anything else we can do.

Regards,

Jimmy McAlister
MileagePlus® Service Center

We appreciate your participation in the MileagePlus program and your support of United and our partners. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future. For MileagePlus program information, please visit www.mileageplus.com.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
Hola!

So from the United answer below, it is not that important to United Airlines that Mileage Plus members actually receive their welcome kits for the status levels we obtain and that United just does “some effort” to “try” to fulfill in the program. Wow! I will be sure to remember that when I talk to Delta about their status matching program.

Since United apparently has little or no control or input over their mileage plus program kit fulfillment vendor (as implied by United’s response below) and no quality control, nor wishes to take the time or responsibility to ensure that the fulfillment is actually completed by its outside vendor, it says a lot about United’s commitment to its frequent flyers.

Let’s go this route then. I did not receive my silver kit and I want it (as well as my gold kit when available). Please advise your “kit vendor” that they failed to fulfill my silver kit and to resend. It is NOT my responsibility to make sure my kits get delivered, it is yours. As you can see below, I was even willing to go the extra mile for you and pay for the shipping via a method with tracking for YOU. Now I’m just really mad. American, the Greyhound of the skies, doesn’t even treat their status members like this! Read the reply below, not even a care that the silver package fulfillment wasn’t properly accomplished.

Webster:

Fulfillment:
: to do what is required by (something, such as a promise or a contract)
: to succeed in doing or providing (something)
: to succeed in achieving (something) : to make (something, such as a dream) true or real

Your ‘Fulfillment’ (“…our Premier cards and kits are fulfilled by a outside vendor…”) [actually, it’s “an” outside vendor.] by “an” outside vendor is incomplete and currently unfulfilled and unsuccessful. Please rectify that. Feel free to give your outside vendor my email for successful completion assistance, if you like.

Gracias,

Joseph W. Gilmore

[email protected]

Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2015 08:33
To: Joe Gilmore <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Premier Program (KMM30042357V24365L0KM)

MUXXXXXX

Hello Sir Gilmore,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, a Silver kit cannot be requested since your account no longer reflects Silver status. In addition, we do not have a way to contact our vendor to request they reissue your Silver kit.

I truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Whenever possible, we try to accommodate our customers' requests and are sorry that we cannot do so in this instance. We value your business and look forward to serving you in the future.

Regards,

Melodie Martin
MileagePlus

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is PRIVATE and CONFIDENTIAL.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Hola!
Very sorry to hear that at your level, United Airlines has absolutely no control over their external vendor or input into its quality control or customer fulfillment. I will escalate this issue in a certified letter to Oscar Munoz and Greg Hart this afternoon to see if their offices may be able to assist those of you at Mileage Plus customer support gain some level of quality control over your product. I expected more from customer support. As a fellow Hispanic, Mr. Munoz may better understand the Hispanic community abroad and the issues we face. I know he did wonders when he was at CSX. You should probably escalate this on your side as well.
Is this still the correct information for the Corporate officers at UAL?

1200 East Algonquin Road
Elk Grove Township, IL 60007

Gracias,
Joseph W. Gilmore

[email protected]

Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2015 09:23
To: Joe Gilmore <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Premier Program (KMM30044085V27364L0KM)

Dear Sir Gilmore:

Thank you for contacting the MileagePlus Service Center.

We’re always glad to hear from MileagePlus® members like you. Thanks for writing.

I am not familiar with the address, however you may also fill out a customer care feedback form online. Just go to www.united.com>at the right hand side click on Contact Us>move down to the bottom>Customer Care>View Options. You may request to have it fowarded to Oscar Munoz.

Regards,

Rowena Celestino
MileagePlus® Service Center

We appreciate your participation in the MileagePlus program and your support of United and our partners. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future. For MileagePlus program information, please visit www.mileageplus.com.

Hola,
Thanks! I prefer to go direct. I will verify the address with my friends at Frommer's, USA Today travel, and FlyerTalk Internet forum. Thank you for your time.
Joseph W. Gilmore

[email protected]

Well, thank goodness Delta still has their match program. What's up with basic customer service these days???

Last edited by joegilmore; Oct 1, 2015 at 7:58 pm Reason: language
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joegilmore
In the meantime, you may print your MileagePlus® card online. Please visit www.united.com and from the “My Account” page, click “Print Duplicate MileagePlus Card” located below the Premier status qualification information. You can also access a copy of your MileagePlus card on the United App, which is available to smartphone users.
I think this is a very reasonable workaround. The kit really has limited value. Obviously it's nice to have, but it shouldn't affect your travel or life in any meaningful way. Some * lounges want a card for access, but they will almost always relent with a printed/electronic one. However, this is not relevant to your expedited request for a silver card.

So from the United answer below, it is not that important to United Airlines that Mileage Plus members actually receive their welcome kits for the status levels we obtain and that United just does “some effort” to “try” to fulfill in the program. Wow! I will be sure to remember that when I talk to Delta about their status matching program.
Wow, I'm not sure you will like Delta for very long. There are tons of problems with US FF programs, this kit issue is pretty far down that list. I'd much rather UA fix its other issues. Paper/physical kits are nice, but that is an area that is appropriate to cut, not much is paper-based anymore. Better for UA for focus on the higher priority operational and loyalty issues and forget about snail-mail items.

Personally I'm impressed you received such a detailed and professional response. Yes, they didn't validate your feelings/loyalty in the way you wanted, but it's a better response than I've received for many issues, including those that involve significant amounts of $$$.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:56 pm

Sorry, for me it's a reflection on the company's view on basic customer service. If you can't complete the small things, you'll never complete the larger ones. The inability of the program to successfully fulfill its smaller obligations is a direct reflection of its management and a direct lead in to those larger problems that you mention. Granted, most people miss that it's the attention to detail on the micro issues that is the reason for the macro issues. I came from Delta as a Platinum several years ago. They had some issues, but never missed like this. I have a friend from IBM that was a 4+ million miler with United that recently jumped ship to Delta because of the customer service here. He gave up everything. So, no.... this is no way to run the company. As a 1K, I'm actually sorry that you're surprised that I was able to get "this" level of service from United. That actually doesn't make me feel like continuing to 1k, if that's your expectations at that level.

Sorry, I'm Gold and 10k from platinum now. Need to change that in my profile.

Last edited by joegilmore; Oct 1, 2015 at 3:00 pm Reason: Addition
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Sorry, for me it's a reflection on the company's view on basic customer service. If you can't complete the small things, you'll never complete the larger ones. The inability of the program to successfully fulfill its smaller obligations is a direct reflection of its management and a direct lead in to those larger problems that you mention. Granted, most people miss that it's the attention to detail on the micro issues that is the reason for the macro issues.
It seems unrealistic to expect UA to make special provision for something as relatively meaningless as the MP packet outside of their normal business process, especially when the reason special provision needs to be made is that the MP member lives somewhere without reliable mail service.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:25 pm

The US airlines seems to have their customers trained for much lower expectations of fulfillment. (Commenting on the general US Airline customer market, no one specific)

Really? Emirates', BA, and Korean Air elite mail has always gotten here without issue. ...but again, it's important enough for them to use FedEx. With United, they won't even allow me to pay the FedEx. Delta was several years back, so I can't include them in the current discussion as the situation on the ground has changed since then. I have about 45,000 more US miles to go this year, it doesn't look like it will be on United. I think I'll use the "match" programs and see if I can't find what my 4 million miler friend found. With Platinum and 1k reporting that this is an acceptable level for US service, I'm deeply saddened.

Something of interest I just saw. This sums up the US airlines vs what First Class means to those outside the US ...and why attention to detail (even the really small ones!) is paramount.

Last edited by joegilmore; Oct 8, 2015 at 12:39 pm Reason: Commenting on posters is not allowed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.