Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reseated due to Infant/Bassinet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
No, I mean your off-topic fantasy where the FA lies to the captain.
Right. Because that's never happened before
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean Germanfflyer's hypothetical about a pax being tossed for refusing to drink 4 oz of warm milk? I agree, that was silly

The question being discussed is whether OP could have been tossed off the aircraft for refusing to move. Yes, he definitely could have.

btw, I don't think anyone who's responding reasonably here would not agree that the OP was placed in an impossible situation and handled it gracefully.
+1 - Totally agree - it's easy to hide behind the internet and boast of how easily one would stand up and handle things - but in reality the OP really had no choice - and that sucks...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:14 am

The question being discussed is whether OP could have been tossed off the aircraft for refusing to move. Yes, he definitely could have. Pax have been tossed off of UA flights for complaining about the inflight movie. Movie Complaint Leads to Flight Diversion
the pax were thrown off for messing with the drop-down screens, not because they complained about which movie was shown.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:25 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Your boarding pass gives you as much right to a certain seat as an Enron stock certificate contributes to your retirement...none nada zilch. Thats true in EU too, by the way.

It is within the airlines' discretion to move you to any seat for a number of reasons, and, I think it is worth noting, then can refuse to even tell you why they are doing it. In the case of FAMs, the most certainly WONT tell you.

Again, you can refuse the new seat, in which case the airline will ask you fly the next plane...and bingo, your IDB and EU comp go poof.

If you refuse to fly the next plane and dont comply with a crew directive, you won't fly on that OR the next plane..for a few days.
Sorry but you are totally incorrect!
And no they can not move you around the assigned seat becomes part of the contract - at least it is treated that way in the EU!
If they take it away and can not justify it with a valid reason it is a IDB triggering all kinds of fines and actions....

You mean Germanfflyer's hypothetical about a pax being tossed for refusing to drink 4 oz of warm milk? I agree, that was silly

The question being discussed is whether OP could have been tossed off the aircraft for refusing to move. Yes, he definitely could have. Pax have been tossed off of UA flights for complaining about the inflight movie. Movie Complaint Leads to Flight Diversion

btw, I don't think anyone who's responding reasonably here would not agree that the OP was placed in an impossible situation and handled it gracefully.
Well I do think it is a very good example of a crew being in trouble for their little power trip - NONE of the authorities was interested in the case - as stated the FBI did not even spend 5 Minutes on it - UA lost a ton of money and ended up with bad PR - I am very sure they thanked the pilot and the crew for it...

Please also note that obviously the family did not do something wrong and even might go after UA....if this would have been in the EU - all passengers would be eligible for EU compensation!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 28, 2014 at 7:18 am
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Here's a general suggestion that might deter all but actual serious requests. After taking your seat, hold your phone in your hand, attach your headset (wired is better than Bluetooth, since it's more visible) and pretend to be on an important business call. You could also hold the phone up to your ear, but your arm will get tired. Watching a movie doesn't work as well, since you'll be expected to just hit the pause button. I would hope most people would hesitate to interrupt you. If it's a clearly legitimate request (e.g., FAM), the FA won't hesitate to interrupt.

You'll have to "end" your call when the door shuts, but by then there won't be any more seat changes.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I do that to avoid people in the streets when I don't want to stop and talk.

If you just say "but, sell, BUY! Sell! Sell! Ger me the London office!" Maybe someone will even post a DYKWIA story about you here as well!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
I always pretend to not understand English - when I do not want to argue and just ignore .....
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suspicious behavior.

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
What was the "discriminatory reason" you're referring to? (Asking this of the OP, not you)
My impression is that the issue was that she didn't want a male next to her while breastfeeding. If he had refused to move and had been thrown off it would be for being male.

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
No, I mean your off-topic fantasy where the FA lies to the captain. But you know that's what I meant.
And you think that doesn't happen?!?!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 28, 2014 at 1:05 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
This thread has become too personalized and drifted way off topic so as they say when you de-plane, buh-bye

goalie
UA Forum Co Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.