Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reseated due to Infant/Bassinet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Baze
I think you have your last paragraph backwards. It was the GA that caused the problem and the FA was on the OP's side. So no interfering with the crew card to pull. And I don't think there is an interfering with the GA card.
Right, I meant if the FA came out on the OP's side at the time instead of later. Good question as to whether there is an "interfering with the GA card". Maybe a tactic would be to stand pat to the GA and then if the GA brings an FA over, ask the FA if s/he is asking or insisting, but in a gracious tone, and just suck it up if the FA says you gotta go... it's going to go downhill fast after that.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
I can see the family needing two of three bulkhead seats for the bassinet. I don't see why they must have all three of them.

The mother should have the right to breastfeed whenever she wants, but she should not have the right to remove someone from their seat because she feels uncomfortable doing that in front of other people.
This. x1000. If she's uncomfortable about doing it on an airplane, then she needs to buy the whole row of seats to guarantee her privacy.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
First things first, the airline can choose to reseat you at any time for any reason or no reason at all. Doesn't matter if or how much you paid, how long you held the seat assignment, etc. They make this very clear in the CoC you agree to when you buy the ticket.

No child requires a bassinet - if the parent would like one, they should make the effort in advance to secure one. I think the airline was too generous here with accommodating their last minute request at the expense of other passengers.

I would politely decline any reseating requests to worse seats, but ultimately comply with demands from flight crew.

If you kept your seat, I'd assume the mom would have done everything possible to make the flight miserable, given their reported behavior and sense of entitlement. A little baby poo goes a long way.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Bassinet can only be placed in the bulkhead, so it's standard practice to move pax who already have seats assigned in the bulkhead in order to accommodate.
Speaking of "standard practice", it's standard practice to reserve bassinet-eligible seats in advance:
A limited number of bassinets can be reserved for use, free of charge, on international aircraft only.

It's also standard practice with bassinet requests to only give free E+ seats to one adult and up to one companion:
Along with bassinet requests, we will provide accompanying seat assignments for an adult traveling with an infant and up to one travel companion.

Originally Posted by AndySAV
Is refusing to move when asked or instructed failure to follow the instructions of the flight crew?
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes.
Kacee could you share the regulation with us?

The only regulation I'm able to find relating to compliance with crewmember instructions is specifically with regard to smoking and seatbelts:

§ 121.571 Briefing passengers before takeoff.
(a) Each certificate holder operating a passenger-carrying airplane shall insure that all passengers are orally briefed by the appropriate crewmember as follows:
(1) Before each takeoff, on each of the following:
(i) Smoking. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions smoking is prohibited including, but not limited to, any applicable requirements of part 252 of this title). This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with the lighted passenger information signs, posted placards, areas designated for safety purposes as no smoking areas, and crewmember instructions with regard to these items.
(iii) The use of safety belts, including instructions on how to fasten and unfasten the safety belts. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions the safety belt must be fastened about that passenger. This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with lighted passenger information signs and crewmember instructions concerning the use of safety belts.

(emphasis mine)

Maybe a moot issue in this case the request or demand never actually came from flight crew anyway, just from an overzealous GA.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
they just wanted my seat in the center pair because they had two babies (they only paid for two seats, but evidently wanted the use of three--something was said about there not being enough oxygen masks in the side pair as the excuse)
This is an actual regulatory issue, there are a limited number of excess oxygen masks on the aircraft and every passenger must be provisioned with one.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
First things first, the airline can choose to reseat you at any time for any reason or no reason at all. Doesn't matter if or how much you paid, how long you held the seat assignment, etc. They make this very clear in the CoC you agree to when you buy the ticket.

The only regulation I'm able to find relating to compliance with crewmember instructions is specifically with regard to smoking and seatbelts:

[I]§ 121.571 Briefing passengers before takeoff.
Not a regulation, but UA's Contract of Carriage says that they can refuse to transport: "Passengers who fail to comply with or interfere with the duties of the members of the flight crew, federal regulations, or security directives;"

Which seems like a catch-all they can use for any refusal to follow FA's instructions if they want.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
Reseated due to Infant/Bassinet

Get a smaller laptop and it'd be easier to work.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
You shouldn't have moved.

If the breastfeeding lady felt uncomfortable, she could have done it somewhere else (the lav).

So now the lady had three seats to herself and the baby?

Bad United.
I had a lady on Amtrak indicate that I might not be comfortable sitting next to her as she would be feeding. I informed her it was a non-issue for me
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I am a strong advocate of mothers who breastfeed .... and especially during Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I always am in favor of "second base." The right to breatfeed never should be restricted.

And I generally think it is offensive when someone tells a breastfeeding mom she has to go into a lav. I certainly do not like eating in a lav, especially on a plane.

But in this case, the mother was offered a seat. It's her own nervousness that caused the issue. She could have fed in the assigned seat. The alternative was the bathroom -- that would have been her choice.

I might have offered to take a walk during while the kid was nursing. But I would not have given up the seat for E- the entire flight.

I completely agree with you.. BUT I also think that that advocacy has to come with public acceptance and comfort... It seems to much so that it is expected that a feeding mother must hide or be hidden..

Whip it out and get it done. And I say this a proud husband of a BF mother and BF-ed daughter.. If the Mum was uncomfortable then tough.. get over it..

As for the whole bassinet thing it just sounds like UA need to get their crapola together on this and come out with some clear policy and make sure that this stuff is not dealt with at the gate The need should be dealt with at booking and a flag raised if there is going to be an issue giving plenty of time for UA to address issues before all seat assignments are taken (being moved from bulkhead to another E+ seat is far better than going to E-)..
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
But, thousands upon thousands of people use 15" laptops in non-bulkhead, non-E+ seats every day.
Have you used a normal size laptop in E- recently? Try doing that in E- on a slimmed Airbus and report back on how easy it is to do anything. I don't consider having to type while not being able to read the screen to be very useful.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Kacee could you share the regulation with us?
FAA regs make it a civil violation to interfere with a crewmember's performace of duties. 14 C.F.R. §§ 91.11, 121.580, 135.120.

This is interpreted to give the crew wide latitude. See, for example, IATA Guidance on Unruly Passenger Prevention and Management. A passenger can thus be held liable under these regulations for causing any sort of disturbance that interferes with the flight crew's duties. This includes arguing with the flight crew, since it distracts them from their normal duties. See, e.g., In re Bengry; In re Ignatov..

So is there a reg which specifically says "if you refuse to follow any crew instruction, that's a violation?" No. But as a practical matter, failure to follow instructions can be deemed interference, you can be thrown off the aircraft (the pilot needs no justification at all to do that), and the FAA can commence a civil enforcement action (although as a practical matter those seem to be limited to fairly egregious cases).
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:52 am

Speaking of "standard practice", it's standard practice to reserve bassinet-eligible seats in advance:
A limited number of bassinets can be reserved for use, free of charge, on international aircraft only.

It's also standard practice with bassinet requests to only give free E+ seats to one adult and up to one companion:
Along with bassinet requests, we will provide accompanying seat assignments for an adult traveling with an infant and up to one travel companion.
It actually is not standard practice on any US airline as these seats can't be assigned in advance except for those that pay or elite. (NWA used to assign at booking when they were still around).

It is standard practice on most non US airlines to assign bassinet seats at booking. Some will block them for assignment to those that have an infant w/o seat booked 24 hrs before the flight or at the airport.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
I wonder how if the individual had a medical condition would they have made him move....I for one have had several blood clots and would not have moved...so I usually travel business or bulk head..Would they have made me move?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Have you used a normal size laptop in E- recently? Try doing that in E- on a slimmed Airbus and report back on how easy it is to do anything. I don't consider having to type while not being able to read the screen to be very useful.
Never said it was easy, just that there are many, many people who do it so saying it is "impossible" was over the top. If it were impossible then no one would do it.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by TomMM
Or the airport police haul you out of the aircraft.
Since this was in Germany - UA would have problem our authorities are not as airline friendly as the US - you can not mandate to reseat people just because you say so - there has to be a valid reason - and " I am not comfortable" with the guy next to me - is not one that is going to float with the authorities...
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Since this was in Germany - UA would have problem our authorities are not as airline friendly as the US - you can not mandate to reseat people just because you say so - there has to be a valid reason - and " I am not comfortable" with the guy next to me - is not one that is going to float with the authorities...
I believe the pilot has authority to order a passenger removed from his/her aircraft anywhere in the world.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by Kacee
I believe the pilot has authority to order a passenger removed from his/her aircraft anywhere in the world.
Yes he can - but if it is done without a valid reason - EU261 compensation is due as it is considered denied boarding!

Not wanting to change seats for a family is not considered a valid reason!

I am also quite sure the captain would not have interfered as he knows - forcing a passenger to change seats for no safety reason is going to be a problem to explain in the paperwork.
Unload luggage etc. it is going to cost - and he would need to explain to the airline + maybe to the legal of the passenger as he seeks compensation for the damages for the lost flight.

Last edited by Germanfflyer; Oct 26, 2014 at 11:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.