Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reseated due to Infant/Bassinet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Families like this drive me nuts. I have two small children and when we fly I spend HOURS and pick specific flights to make sure that we get the right seats. I understand the IRROPs can FUBAR things, but if it is that important to people that they sit there, they should work harder to make it happen ahead of time. Frankly, I think UA should block those seats until the gate can clear them. There are enough babies on flights to work it out then.

It's always the family with 4 middle seats trying to get people to swap out of E+ aisle/window seats. My favorite response to the request to move is "No, thank you". That's what I use now.

Obviously if the kid is small and freaking out, I make an exception, but you can usually tell the people that are used to gaming the system and taking advantage of people.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Offer to move to business class, but otherwise that's really a personal issue for the other passenger.
^^^^^

I would have thrown the old handicap thing - bad knees or something like that. If they couldn't accommodate me, I would have played the game and asked to be placed on the next flight at their expense (I don't know if that was an option for you). I also would have played the whole "Your desire to assist her is inconveniencing me, and I reserved this seat first."

Unfortunately, if you need to be on that particular flight, you are at their mercy.

On another note, we are going to China in BF on a pmUA 777-200. We are adopting a little one and won't know our travel dates until about 2-4 weeks before we leave. I called UA about the possibility of needing the bassinet in row 8AB or 8KL and what we can do if those seats are already taken. The agent told me that the flight attendants are empowered to move people for that reason. Of course, in our case, the person being displaced will still be in a BF seat.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes.
Urban legend. It is not a criminal violation to refuse to follow the instructions of the flight crew on most issues.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Bassinet can only be placed in the bulkhead, so it's standard practice to move pax who already have seats assigned in the bulkhead in order to accommodate.

However, the woman has NO right to demand other passengers be moved in order to breastfeed. I would have stood my ground on principle.
^ What he said
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Often1

The risk in pushing this with the GA is that the Captain's response is that he simply doesn't want the passenger on his aircraft. No violation, but you are stuck sitting at a gate at FRA with a refund.
If you have check bags, then Captain would have to weigh moving OP vs the time wasted getting the bags off the plane. Call his bluff ...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I would think there would have had to have been at least one non-rev in BF that could have been displaced.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: UA GS
As a parent of 2 children that has traveled from the US to Europe with both my kids at least annually since they were born this hits close to home.

My view would be that families seeking the bassinet slot should make sure they are booked in E+ if they want to be eligible for the bulkhead - that way a displaced passenger would be guaranteed a seat of equal value.

Additionally, there are lots of options for breastfeeding in public - I personally never had an issue with that, bot recognize that some do. In that case there are nifty blankets designed for just this purpose that keeps you covered up.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So, my take is that those with infants should be able to sit in the seats by the bassinets. Without exception, UA should do what it can to accommodate. Blocking at least some (or all) bulkheads with a bassinet may be the answer. If not, I don't think asking folks to move should be a problem. It just makes sense, and I say this irrespective of my next sentence. Which is that as an expectant father, who will be doing some traveling with an infant next year, that emphasizes my stance on that issue.

As for the uncomfort with breast feeding, IMO, that is a problem the mother is going to have to deal with. And probably more than when she is on an airplane. A simple thing such as a full flight (which is fairly common nowadays, anyway) is going to put the kabosh on that. Plus, no matter what, its not really private since there will be people in the row across, walking up and down the aisle, etc. If they want that, book a seat for the infant. I don't think feeding in the lav is really the right solution, however, there are covers nowadays specifically for that purpose, and they are common. Depending on the length of the flight and how much baby is eating at that point, there is also the option of bottling milk beforehand (at least for some feeding) - TSA has an exception for bottled milk for babies, don't they?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
What if the flight was 100% full? Would she still have been too uncomfortable to have someone else in a seat nearby? If it's a natural thing done in public without restrictions, then there isn't a restriction as to who can be near. Sure, privacy may be desired, but not required at the expense of others.
That was my thought, too. I think the desire for privacy comes, in part, from the sheer number of people that still tell breastfeeding mothers to cover up, or, even worse, take it to the lav. There's still a lot of growing up to do for everyone involved.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbrower
Urban legend. It is not a criminal violation to refuse to follow the instructions of the flight crew on most issues.
Total non sequitur. Whether it is a "criminal violation" was not the question. Suggest you re-read the thread.

It is in fact beyond reasonable dispute that disobeying a flight crew member can get you tossed off the aircraft. That was the question we were responding to.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rjque
That was my thought, too. I think the desire for privacy comes, in part, from the sheer number of people that still tell breastfeeding mothers to cover up, or, even worse, take it to the lav. There's still a lot of growing up to do for everyone involved.
You turned it there. It isn't other passengers discomfort with it, it is the breastfeeders issue. He isn't saying "I won't sit next to a breastfeeding baby". The cover-up or bathroom option is to address the breastfeeders 'head-trash', not anyone elses.

Soooo, what if there are more babies than bassinets? Do you have to wait for a later flight? If a bassinet isn't a requirement- if it is possible to fly with a baby without a bassinet, there shouldn't be requirement for people to move. The bassinet is a convenience, not a necessity then.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier
Originally Posted by AndySAV
Is refusing to move when asked or instructed failure to follow the instructions of the flight crew?
This is exactly why I moved. I had already told the gate agent no thanks twice. When she came back again she (the gate agent) was getting a little testy. Everyone was seated except them - they were standing by the bulkhead, and doors were ready to close.

On a side note, I didn't like the fact the she went to the GA to get it done for her. Had she asked me herself I probably would've been guilt tripped into moving earlier. The GA tried to bully me because of her "authority" - that's what kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Pax can be moved for any reason (or no reason at all). That ends the question of whether there is a "right" to force OP to move.
This answers my question. If anyone tells you to move you must obey, regardless of what boarding pass says, without recourse other than a refund.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Welcome to FT, Rick371!
Thank you. I don't travel near as much as most on here, but about 7 business trips a year with 2-3 international gets me lowest status level.

Last edited by Rick371; Oct 23, 2014 at 11:02 am
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
MODERATOR NOTE:

Let's stay away from the topic of breast feeding pros & cons and focus on the issue where the OP was asked/told that they had to move their seat due to an infant bassinet seat and how to help the OP with advice as to how to pursue this.

goalie
UA Form Co-Moderator
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade

Once my butt is in the seat, it's mine unless a better seat is offered.
Or the airport police haul you out of the aircraft.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Goalie, I see things differently. The OP didn't move because of a bassinet. He was asked to, declined, and was not reseated. So the bassinet part of the story is only background.

The OP was asked to move because another passenger didn't want to sit next to him. I think it's reasonable to discuss if there are ever any reasons where United should move one passenger because another one doesn't want them there, and if so, what those reasons might be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.