Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchasing (Cash/Award) AC Premium Economy on UA ticket stock (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing (Cash/Award) AC Premium Economy on UA ticket stock (016)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rflor
You got me confused. Everything I've read shows the Premium Rouge on the A319s to be a 2x2 product vs. the 3x3 product in the rest of the aircraft. That, along with descriptions of the seats and food offerings, led me to believe it's a PE product....
Premium Rouge is the quasi-business product. I wouldn't say it's premium economy, more like domestic business seats, but that follows through on long haul flights too - i.e., you're in a domestic business seat on a 10hr flight from YVR to KIX as much as YYZ to FLL. It's probably somewhat similar to Norwegian's premium class, although with Rouge you'll get poorly trained, low paid Canadian FA's burdened with an overabundance of obnoxious passive-aggressiveness.

Rouge Plus is the first few rows of regular Rouge with extra pitch and nothing else. Just make sure you're buying the right product.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:19 am

caught in limbo, please help

Hi guys, I am hoping your can help me with my travel dilemma

I booked an economy flight through United for a trip from MSP to Milan. The flight is operated by Air Canada. I want to upgrade my seat to Premium Economy which exists with Air Canada, but not United. I tried calling both airlines and each directs me to the other and then finally they called each other and still could not figure out how to make this happen.

Have you ever came across this problem? If so, how was it resolved?

thank you!
Old May 22, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
It's not possible to upgrade a UA plated ticket to premium economy on AC, except perhaps on the day of travel at the airport.

If you're still within the 24 hour ticket purchase window, my recommendation is to cancel with United and rebook with Air Canada.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by transportprof
It's not possible to upgrade a UA plated ticket to premium economy on AC, except perhaps on the day of travel at the airport.

If you're still within the 24 hour ticket purchase window, my recommendation is to cancel with United and rebook with Air Canada.
You can't "upgrade" the ticket but you can absolutely fly AC Premium Economy on a United ticket. You need to "change" the ticket to PE - if within 24 hours cancel and rebook is easier. This is something that would need to be done by calling United, and it would help to know which booking codes are needed (B on the short segments and probably E or N for the long ones).

If it's outside of the 24-hour window however you might not be able to avoid paying a change fee. Also note that it requires switching to the native AC flight number.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:40 pm

Hi all,

Not a regular UA flier, but with some MP miles.

Can someone just confirm that it is not possible to book ANY Star Alliance Premium Economy product using United miles? I am specifically looking at EVA.

Thanks!

Joe
Old May 25, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nyjoe4
Can someone just confirm that it is not possible to book ANY Star Alliance Premium Economy product using United miles? I am specifically looking at EVA.
Correct, it is currently not possible.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Correct, it is currently not possible.
Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:35 am

Use UA miles to book AC Premium Economy?

Hi everyone,

I have 300k Mileageplus miles and I'd like to use them to book a trip to the UK for my family next summer.

We want to travel in Premium Economy, but I checked on the UA site and it doesn't list that. Does anyone have any idea how I can make this booking? I think I should have more than enough miles - it's just that I don't know how to make the booking.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not possible. Economy or business class only.

But welcome to FT!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Nope.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:35 am

Oh well.. thanks anyway!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Data: Mixed AC outbound and LF inbound ex-WAS booked via company TA PE on 016 stock. Effortless outside of having to manually enter the lower priced AC and LH fare codes. Both airlines defaulted to high fare buckets for PE and Y fares for connecting flights (eg IAD-YUL defaulted to Y when G was available).

Cheers.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Effortless outside of having to manually enter the lower priced AC and LH fare codes. Both airlines defaulted to high fare buckets for PE and Y fares for connecting flights (eg IAD-YUL defaulted to Y when G was available).
That's because the PE fares map into Y on flights without a PE cabin. That shouldn't (necessarily) have been more expensive.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does a TA ticket 016 if there are no UA segments?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
How does a TA ticket 016 if there are no UA segments?
I was wondering this too.

TAs, AFAIK, are able to do this, but it’s not within IATA protocol for sure, and violates the agreement with the airline to issue tickets on their stock. Airlines especially don’t like it since typically, TAs use the air carrier merchant accounts to run the charge, so not only is the airline not really getting (or at least keeping) any revenue since the fares go to the operating carrier, but they lose $ because they are paying to process the cards.

Most TAs won’t do this because, kind of like HCT, do it once and the airline probably won’t really do anything. But its probably pretty easy to find, and do it semi-regularly and there will be consequences - in this case likely fines and if it gets bad enough - flagrant and frequent, they probably will lose the ability to sell tickets using their stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.