Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MAJOR Change coming {delayed} to GPU redemption on Lufthansa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAJOR Change coming {delayed} to GPU redemption on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Wonder how this would work with a pure 220 ticket for lets say a FRA-BKK route?

How do you upgrade this with UA?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ecosse3
My colleague was attempting to sponsor me for an upgrade on a LH flight in October, so I had given him instructions to call in and request the paper cert. He was told that they would not issue the paper cert now as the process was changing. The agent would not assist him now and instead said that he needed to do this online after the first week of September. He didn't get as much detailed information as the OP, but the story seems consistent.
I know for a fact that UA accepted certificate requests yesterday, August 29. If you'd rather have a paper certificate instead of using the new procedure you may wish to have yur colleague not wait and hang up and call again today...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I know for a fact that UA accepted certificate requests yesterday, August 29. If you'd rather have a paper certificate instead of using the new procedure you may wish to have yur colleague not wait and hang up and call again today...
Having enough GPUs in the account would also give the benefit of being able to try and request an upgrade in advance when the changes are implement + plus have a paper instrument for standby...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I agree, this seems to be the best approach in the near term. Hopefully they still accept the paper certs after the change.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:56 pm

Has this taken effect yet? Just about to book a trip on LH. Don't have time to wait for a certificate. My flight is on Sunday!!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arrosen
Has this taken effect yet? Just about to book a trip on LH. Don't have time to wait for a certificate. My flight is on Sunday!!
Spoke with a UA service director today because I have a reader I'm helping with this. She said that it is literally expected at any minute and emails should be going out today or tomrw about it being live. IF I were you, I would call UA and have them fedex you a coupon. Hopefully not too late.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
As of today, that is, 24 hours after we were assured this process would change, http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx says paper GPU.

Don't you think UA insider would weigh in, especially on what is overall a positive change?

Originally Posted by Lack
Reading that thread it appears this was a case of a mola. The OP never reported back if doing the e-upgrade online worked or not.

Last edited by mre5765; Sep 6, 2014 at 1:43 pm
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Not sure what to make of the and I'm glad that that's what you were told and I hope it works out for you. I was just relaying what we were told. My flight is not until late Oct, so it's not a pressing issue for me. Hopefully they will "grandfather" those of you with paper certs. We were instructed not to try for those, but rather to wait. Further clarification from those "in the know" (and not relying on the differing information of phone reps) would be helpful.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Disappointing that they can't hit their IT targets on time.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ecosse3
Quote:
Further clarification from those "in the know" (and not relying on the differing information of phone reps) would be helpful.
Speaking of those in the know. Whatever happened to UaInsider? Has he been enhanced out of existence?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:48 pm

1. It shouldn't be too hard to write an app that checks several times a day...

2. I haven't flown LH in years, the last time I used paper certs was when they could be used on any flight by anyone. At that time, clearly some seats were becoming available only at the last minute---I would frequently have to wait until the boarding process was well under way. So those 'no-show seats' are now off the table.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
teetering on the edge of buying some LH flights that i want to be able to upgrade, it's frustrating that this isn't live yet since the award inventory is there for at least one segment from Y->C currently
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:51 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Disappointing that they can't hit their IT targets on time.
Do you have an update as to when UA expects to have this implemented? This would potentially be a great benefit. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
I guess not this year - just heard that LH is making major changes to their reservation system - putting all other changes on hold!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I guess not this year - just heard that LH is making major changes to their reservation system - putting all other changes on hold!
This could be part of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.