Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MAJOR Change coming {delayed} to GPU redemption on Lufthansa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAJOR Change coming {delayed} to GPU redemption on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Where did UA announce the switch for August 1st?
Please point me to the announcement!

Thank you!

I still seriously doubt that the info given is correct and complete - there might be a change coming but it is most likely different than what you were told.....
I guess we will wait and see. UA had too many details re: how this would work, which leads me to think its finally ready for launch.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:10 am

The new changes make sense to me except you have to constantly re-submit your upgrade request if it doesn't clear.
Hopefully UA/LH will realize this is a bit silly and enable waitlisting..
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by agjil
The new changes make sense to me except you have to constantly re-submit your upgrade request if it doesn't clear.
No waitlisting would be fully consistent with both the *A upgrade process (no waitlisting) and the rule for UA partner awards (no waitlisting on partners).

The part that makes no sense to me is the 10 hour nonsense.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
If a GPU is confirmed on LH, the main concern will be the handling of any irrops. So long as the confirmed GPU is honored under these circumstances for an alternative flight, then this can be a very successful and customer friendly policy. What also needs to be clarified is out of which inventory class UA GPUs book into under LH's inventory.
AFAIK LH handles any upgrades as confirmed seats. IRROPS and you get reaccomodated in C/F.

Originally Posted by Kacee
The part that makes no sense to me is the 10 hour nonsense.
I think that might be due to meal load requirements (LH won't upgrade unless they have a meal for you). Maybe they can work around a system with standby if they have food catared anyway, but doubt it's a priority for them.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agjil
Hopefully UA/LH will realize this is a bit silly and enable waitlisting..
I can see why they won't wait list. They would see it as too easy for the pax to submit a request once and be done. I think they want us to work for it a little bit!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Are the GPUs on Lufthansa flights subject to the same fare-class restrictions as using them on United Metal?

If not, it would seem the way do it would be to search for Business (or First) award space availability, buy the ticket then apply the upgrade.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers
Are the GPUs on Lufthansa flights subject to the same fare-class restrictions as using them on United Metal?

If not, it would seem the way do it would be to search for Business (or First) award space availability, buy the ticket then apply the upgrade.
Eligible LH Fare classes are: V, Q, H,U,M,B,Y
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:57 am

You have to go one fare higher (V) in Economy.
And the upgrade buckets aren't the same as award space, which is plenty annoying even for LH M&M members.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Lack
You have to go one fare higher (V) in Economy.
And the upgrade buckets aren't the same as award space, which is plenty annoying even for LH M&M members.
So I guess it's:

1. Buy ticket
2. Try to upgrade
3. Cancel ticket within 24 hours
4. Repeat
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:00 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
What fare buckets do LH upgrade inventory come from for Y to C and C to F?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:37 am

So I guess it's:

1. Buy ticket
2. Try to upgrade
4. Repeat
I think if you call up LH and ask for upgrade availability, they'll give out that info so you can then book on the spot with UA and try to move up front.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
So I guess it's:

1. Buy ticket
2. Try to upgrade
4. Repeat
You can optimize by searching for award availability from miles and more, as. LH upgrade and award inventory are the same.

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
What fare buckets do LH upgrade inventory come from for Y to C and C to F?
Same as award. For F it is O. For C I think it is I, but I rarely redeem for LH C.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
You can optimize by searching for award availability from miles and more, as. LH upgrade and award inventory are the same.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...available.html

Not so much.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Given the hold times to call lh, I would be faster to buy and cancel if it doesn't clear.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My colleague was attempting to sponsor me for an upgrade on a LH flight in October, so I had given him instructions to call in and request the paper cert. He was told that they would not issue the paper cert now as the process was changing. The agent would not assist him now and instead said that he needed to do this online after the first week of September. He didn't get as much detailed information as the OP, but the story seems consistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.