Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MAJOR Change coming {delayed} to GPU redemption on Lufthansa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAJOR Change coming {delayed} to GPU redemption on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
so i just read 5 pages for nothing
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
Do you have an update as to when UA expects to have this implemented?
I'd put my money on it happening at the same time as the new UA web site ges live.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Bump. Any news on this (ever) happening?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Bump. Any news on this (ever) happening?
a few posts above yours

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I guess not this year - just heard that LH is making major changes to their reservation system - putting all other changes on hold!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Premier Platinum, Hertz PC
I just called Mileage Plus customer service to order a few paper certificates, and they said they are Fedex'ing. I guess that means it is still paper for now.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by why fly
so i just read 5 pages for nothing
Me too. Mods, can you please change the title to reflect that this is NOT happening anytime soon!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
Thats why I always read the last page first
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC RA, HH Gold
I called and tried to request electronic processing for some GPUs - agent on the line told me that the process had failed and that they expected it to begin/attempted again in March 2015.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (1K), Starwood (Gold)
Upgrade chances SFO-FRA

Hi there,

I've been waiting for the electronic GPU process to come online, but now that it seems it won't be available anytime soon, I'm stuck with a decision.

I'm headed to Europe in a couple of weeks and need to choose a United 747-400 or a Lufthansa A380 for the long SFO-FRA leg. United.com is offering just about the same price on the two.

The United flight has five J seats in inventory (only two of which show up as available on the seat map) and zero upgrade inventory. The Lufthansa flight has 22 business class seats available on the seat map (which I know isn't always an accurate indicator).

How do my chances at a GPU upgrade compare between those two flights? Should I book the United metal and go into what looks like a long shot with the regular electronic upgrade process, or book the LH metal and take a chance with the paper upgrade? Anyone who's used a paper upgrade on LH out of SFO, what's your success rate been?

If my upgrade doesn't clear, I think I'd prefer to have an E+ seat on United, but my upgrade chances appear to be slightly better on LH.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Paper upgrades are major PITA. So I suggest UA. YMMV!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vitruvius
How do my chances at a GPU upgrade compare between those two flights? Should I book the United metal and go into what looks like a long shot with the regular electronic upgrade process, or book the LH metal and take a chance with the paper upgrade? Anyone who's used a paper upgrade on LH out of SFO, what's your success rate been?
The odds of clearing on the UA flight are not at all good. You might ask on the LH forum about the likelihood of the LH flight clearing.

Note that you need a minimum V fare to upgrade on LH (compared to the W on UA).
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
LH on the 380 isn't that tough of an upgrade generally. The hard product isn't that great however.

I don't think the paper GPUs are a huge pita, so long as you can request them far enough in advance and don't have to mail them back.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just tried to use my paper gpu from FRA to ord on the 747-8i. They told me they could only give me the premier economy seat. What the heck? I said no thanks. I guess business was showing full so it defaults you to premier economy.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I used a paper GPU on a FRA-DEN flight. Worked great. I turned my GPU in they said there were 18 seats available. 6 seats went empty. This was a Friday flight home.

My outbound ORD-FRA I missed my GPU by one- and the E+ seat was broken and didn't recline. That sucks.

United better get the GPU thing straightened out, or I might just switch to LH. I go thru FRA pretty much anyways.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Update: now the flight manager is saying they can't even give premier economy because the gpu is only good to business or first. This system stinks. I asked if I could at least be put on the upgrade list even though business is showing full in case some one didn't show and she said no. Need to start looking for different routes I guess using united metal perhaps.

Pushing tin, what type of business class seat is on the Den-FRA route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.