Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Multi-million dollar SAVINGS in onboard food and beverage options

wow, the new UA meal policy sucks.

Flew UA1608 IAH-SAN today ... and there was no meal. Not even a snack plate ... just the snack basket. Same flight last week had a FULL lunch service.

Ways to go UA. Many pax were asking/complaining to the FAs and she was frazzled as well mumbling something like 'paperwork error'.
A few days ago the flight still showed lunch but since Thursday it shows 'refreshments' ... so clearly not a catering error.

Last edited by cfischer; Feb 8, 2015 at 5:12 am
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Correct. 2:30 falls within the non-traditional meal time for the new UA policy.

My flights haven't fallen in that zone yet so to me the new meals are a welcome change.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
skip as many meals as you can....

The thing about breakfast or the first or second meal service on United is that they are gross. The CO deli plate was OK but this is my rule for deciding on whether to attempt a breakfast:

1. Transatlantic from East Coast. NEVER. If you had the dinner why do you need to eat 4 hours later? Even the coffee is disgusting better just to ask for water.

2. If your flight only has breakfast as the meal option - SKIP IT. I don't recall any good breakfasts that sit well in your belly. Any class.

3. Transpac to/from East Coast. The chicken katsu is ok but probably loaded with salt and fat.

4. Eating a lot of food on a long flight increases your jet lag.

5. I would rather sleep as much as possible than to eat an awful breakfast.

6. I haven't read this whole thread but if I am going to pay $6000 for a premium seat it is not for the food. It is for comfortable seats, avoiding the sUA 777 which are comfortable but too close together, and working towards earning Global Services which is worth a lot.

7. The only decent wine, once airborne internationally, is the champagne.

8. I have had some excellent dinner main courses on UA, but overall presentation is sloppy.

9. I don't believe UA will ever serve a good breakfast.

10. Would prefer UA spend the money on faster wifi and aircraft maintenance than a decent meal. Airplane food is terrible compared to any fine restaurant. Would prefer to get to my destination on time.

11. No matter how much money UA puts into on board dining, I don't believe people will be rushing to the experience.

12. Last two flights to Europe in January featured meat options with white beans or white asparagus. I don't like either, why can't they serve up at least one classic dish.

13. Prosciutto and melon as the appetizer - wow really thought provoking

I hope the food improves on int'l flights, but while I am waiting I have found a glass of champagne and the nuts to be enough. If I am asleep I am not hungry, and I can arrive feeling more refreshed. UA ought to offer better food service in the premium cabins, but the ability for a 5-6 hour sleep outweighs a good meal. Some flights, like to Hong Kong, u have to eat something. But IMHO, the less eaten the better one feels arriving at the destination.

Adam
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Correct. 2:30 falls within the non-traditional meal time for the new UA policy.

My flights haven't fallen in that zone yet so to me the new meals are a welcome change.
I just love it when they keep selling these things as enhancements and 2/3 flights this week had NO food whatsoever when they used to have food just a few days ago. Flyer friendly
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
wow, the new UA meal policy sucks.

Flew UA1608 IAH-SAN today ... and there was no meal. Not even a snack plate ... just the snack basket. Same flight last week had a FULL lunch service.

Ways to go UA. Many pax were asking/complaining to the FAs and she was frazzled as well mumbling something like 'paperwork error'.
A few days ago the flight still showed lunch but since Thursday it shows 'refreshments' ... so clearly not a catering error.
On the other hand, I was on EWR-PBI last night, which would have been a snack plate at best a couple weeks ago. Instead, it was coded as dinner. (Granted, the flight attendant kept referring to the meal as a "snack," and there was no dessert whatsoever, but the meal at least seemed closer to dinner than it did to a snack.)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cfischer
I just love it when they keep selling these things as enhancements and 2/3 flights this week had NO food whatsoever when they used to have food just a few days ago. Flyer friendly

CO has a long history of over-hyping and related problems with expectation setting.

It sucks that this mentality came over to the new UA, but when I saw the announcement, the first thing I did was try to figure out where the cuts were. I guess I'm so familiar with how CO did business, I'm onto their games.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Just flew SNA-EWR last Thu and they had a new breakfast skillet with eggs, spinach and a few other things. Maybe my expectations are low, but I liked it.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
UA6524 on 4/21/2015 GRR-DEN - fresh meals were on-board this flight. I wish I could post a picture, but the chicken sandwich was very good, as well as the fruit salad. Everything was served on main-line UA glassware with main-line UA silverware as well. Absolutely 1000% better than the snack boxes. I hope I never see them again, frankly.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just had a very nice Cuban sandwich in First from Denver to Chicago. I could get use to this.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:09 pm

I rarely fly domestically and was looking forward to a revamped F class meal.

On the outbound flight, UA forgot to board lunch; the attendant was very apologetic and served potato chips, crackers, etc., instead.

On the return flight, the chatty attendant delayed dinner service and was still taking orders when the pilot announced "landing in 20 minutes." Needless to say, no dinner was served.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by bamboola

On the outbound flight, UA forgot to board lunch; the attendant was very apologetic and served potato chips, crackers, etc., instead.

On the return flight, the chatty attendant delayed dinner service and was still taking orders when the pilot announced "landing in 20 minutes." Needless to say, no dinner was served.
Routes? Aircraft?

Thanks,
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:12 pm

DFW to ORD on United Express - a small aircraft with only 6 to 10 F seats.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Routes? Aircraft? Thanks,
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
ORD-LGA UX this am, breakfast flight. Sum total of food - wrapped muffin. Catering error or part of the multi-million dollar investment?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by bamboola

Both inexcusable. Hope you sent an email complaint for each.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I flew to the Carribean and was pleasantly surprised. It has been a while since I was surprised by UA.

- The additional of a waffle-ish breakfast choice was great compared to the ancient Jeff McMuffin

- The FA greeted me, thanked me for my loyalty and asked me for my meal choice pre departure. I assume I was the only 1K as he asked everyone else post departure.

- The meal was quite good, the fruit a better quality than I recall.

- The FA offered mimosas (prosecco + OJ) both pre-departure and during the flight.

- Featured original CO F seats, while not the best, much better than the slimmer versions on the 737-900s.

- Flight left on time, arrived early, lots of information from the pilot and FAs in flight, including warnings about losing direct TV coverage.

Basically this is what I would expect and I'm thrilled to have a flight where UA is back on track!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.