Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I think the square plate adds to the presentation. I didn't reply to the point because it is moot.
Does it taste good? Does it look good?
I like the look of the DL salad you posted but I have absolutely 0 right to compare it against the UA one that I actually ate.

I can only weigh in on like 1 or 2 non-p.s. domestic flights a year.

In every single post flight survey on UA I've mentioned the need to change/update breakfast and/or only serve it at a time it may be relevant to where you are landing...aka I don't want that breakfast landing in HKG at 8pm.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by spin88
+1 [Have your dad fly VX, he will be really impressed ] Here is my salad, mid-con flight on DL from a few days ago:

Portion was bigger, and it had a lot of Quinoa (the UAL folks would probably say "Keen-what?") which made it filling. Of note, Delta gives you a double size container of dressing - twice what UAL gives you (see its bigger and taller) - so its enough to actually cover the salad - which again is bigger to start with. Even for the small UA salads, the dressing is never enough. My guess is Delta has to spend another 5-6 cents for that dressing...

And the Cheese was good, and the grapes were fresh and taste, not partially rotten on the bottom with the skin turning white like UA serves.

And the red-wine was actually drinkable: A good probably $12-13 retail bottle, and the coffee is SBC, which is two billion times better than freshbrew.
I flew JFK-SLC on a lunch flight with DL a few weeks ago. It was a salmon salad and it was surprisingly delicious. One the the healthiest meals I've ever had on a plane.

The UA salads look pretty unhealthy, small, and less detailed compared to DL.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm on ps right now. Same stuff we've seen for years.

Edited to add: I didn't have an entree, but my companion sent her beef tenderloin back uneaten. Said it was the worst tasting steak she'd ever had.

Oh, and the AVOD is down for the entire aircraft.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Wow...it's come down to elitism and snooty comments about grains?
Welcome to the San Francisco mindset.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 19, 2015 at 5:00 pm
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Time to spend some money on decent food and snack offerings in the UA club. The current dross is not fit for human consumption....
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I think the square plate adds to the presentation. I didn't reply to the point because it is moot.
Does it taste good? Does it look good?
I like the look of the DL salad you posted but I have absolutely 0 right to compare it against the UA one that I actually ate.

I can only weigh in on like 1 or 2 non-p.s. domestic flights a year.

In every single post flight survey on UA I've mentioned the need to change/update breakfast and/or only serve it at a time it may be relevant to where you are landing...aka I don't want that breakfast landing in HKG at 8pm.
And I've filled out the same surveys, made the same comments, and I'm sure everyone else on this Board has too. United is simply not willing to spend the $$$ necessary to provide the soft product that its competitors serve. They don't care, they think people will fly them regardless of how poor the soft product is, so far the yield numbers vs. AA and DL suggest this is simply wrong.

For the record, I've had the UA salad you did, it is no where near as tasty.
Roll is a rock, soup is salty (and cheap, onions cost nearly nothing) and the stuff in the salad that I had looked like they came from a dumpster in back of food for less. Tomato was bruised, cucumbers were dried out. Everything in that salad - for example using Carrots rather than greens, and only old rather wilted Romain lettuce - is cheap.

I plead guilty to being a food "snob" I have a whole food down the block from my house, and I drive across the bridge to Berkeley Bowl on a regular basis. I buy my fish from a wonderful Japanese Market. This said, I do not expect a three star meal in domestic first, but I do expect to be served something that is filling, tasty, and if possible healthy. Delta (and I understand AA) make an effort in this department, United does not, and it shows.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
No, an entire lack of creativity, combined with utter cheapness and to the bone cost cutting, in UA catering. In fairness, the lack of creativity may be simply lack of ability to spend money to buy e.g. quality greens, or better ingredients.
I agree - but the issue here is not only that UA breakfast stuff (refuse to call it food) is bad/cheap/dull, but also that it has been the SAME since forever. IMHO, cheapness would be easier to take if some variety were thrown in. And, seriously, a breakfast choice of sugar-on-sugar cereal or cardboard-tasting-heart-attack-in-a-box?

It is the lack of effort that bothers here the most.

Last edited by nikolastojsin; Jan 19, 2015 at 4:05 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
I agree - but the issue here is not only that UA breakfast stuff (refuse to call it food) is bad/cheap/dull, but also that it has been the SAME since forever. IMHO, cheapness would be easier to take if some variety were thrown in. And, seriously, a breakfast choice of sugar-on-sugar cereal or cardboard-tasting-heart-attack-in-a-box?

It is the lack of effort that bothers here the most.
Worst thing about is that UA pays lip service to improvements and other nonsense but the status quo governs. Who's fooling who?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
My first two United flights of the year were dinner time flights EWR-IAH (777) and IAH-LGA (738). While we were given meals, it was the same crap we've been getting for years. Service on the 777 was decent, service on the 738 was VERY hit and miss. One lovely FA and two absolutely terrible ones. Arguments in the galley as two wanted to skip the pre-departure drinks, and the other argued correctly that we still had 15 min prior to push, and it's policy. They did reluctantly do the service. Right before doors closed, there were 3 empty first seats and again, the two didn't want to get the agent to do the upgrades, but the other again fought to have them do their jobs.

No wifi, but did have direct tv and did watch the AFC / NFC championships

Both flights on-time. CPU X 2 on IAH-LGA and cleared two expiring RPU on the EWR-IAH
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:49 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
My first two United flights of the year were dinner time flights EWR-IAH (777) and IAH-LGA (738). While we were given meals, it was the same crap we've been getting for years. Service on the 777 was decent, service on the 738 was VERY hit and miss. One lovely FA and two absolutely terrible ones. Arguments in the galley as two wanted to skip the pre-departure drinks, and the other argued correctly that we still had 15 min prior to push, and it's policy. They did reluctantly do the service. Right before doors closed, there were 3 empty first seats and again, the two didn't want to get the agent to do the upgrades, but the other again fought to have them do their jobs.

No wifi, but did have direct tv and did watch the AFC / NFC championships

Both flights on-time. CPU X 2 on IAH-LGA and cleared two expiring RPU on the EWR-IAH
Enlightening report, mostly not about the food but the poor service. It is interesting to note that some of these FAs think nobody is watching them knowing what they are supposed to be doing. Yet there are Frequent Flyers seated in First who know what is supposed to be happening.

There is a new thread started for 2015 to report poor service from Flight Attendants. Perhaps you may want to report your experience there also.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...periences.html
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:26 am
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
UAInsider has provided an update on January 21, 2015 regarding the rollout of these improved food services. See new thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...in-dining.html
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:11 am

I find the timing to be very interesting. They announce improvements in August, 2014, but it appeared rushed, had a LONG time line, few details. Then they (nearly 6 months later) announce some actual good things. Were I not already gone from UA, I would see this in a very positive light (coffee and booze still need fixing, but this helps the food).

But, and this is the key, there is no reason - if this was actually the plan - not to have put this out earlier. They have to know catering is a big issue, and I'm sure it has a major impact on the NPS. Even UAL defenders complaint about the food.

So if they were going to do this, why not put out the details earlier (or actually make changes earlier) prevent further brand damage? Certainly, with lots of FFers leaving at year end, you would want this to go out in October/November at the latest.

My guess is that there is a further drop (as we saw last year in the 1Q) in FF traffic, and that, along with outsized profits, has finally forced their hand. The uncompetitive nature of the product is so glaring that something had to be done.

So I actually think this is far more than they ever intended to do back in August, it is an actual plan, and a bigger plan.

But people buy on schedule and price, and nothing that United does or does not offer in soft product will change buying decisions.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2015 at 11:46 pm Reason: Unneeded snark removd
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:25 am
mkr
Suspended

I think that some in upper management had to be dragged kicking and screaming into making this decision. It only took so many sledge hammer hits to their heads before they finally got the message..."improve the soft product, duh." Maybe J. Smisek had to personally taste all the new food and it took him several months to make a decision about the food.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
I find the timing to be very interesting. They announce improvements in August, 2014, but it appeared rushed, had a LONG time line, few details. Then they (nearly 6 months later) announce some actual good things. Were I not already gone from UA, I would see this in a very positive light (coffee and booze still need fixing, but this helps the food).

But, and this is the key, there is no reason - if this was actually the plan - not to have put this out earlier. They have to know catering is a big issue, and I'm sure it has a major impact on the NPS. Even UAL defenders complaint about the food.

So if they were going to do this, why not put out the details earlier (or actually make changes earlier) prevent further brand damage? Certainly, with lots of FFers leaving at year end, you would want this to go out in October/November at the latest.

My guess is that there is a further drop (as we saw last year in the 1Q) in FF traffic, and that, along with outsized profits, has finally forced their hand. The uncompetitive nature of the product is so glaring that something had to be done.

So I actually think this is far more than they ever intended to do back in August, it is an actual plan, and a bigger plan.

But hey, as all of the "savvy" folks know, people buy on schedule and price, and nothing that United does or does not offer in soft product will change buying decisions.
There was speculation in the thread this was done and rushed to meet American's 9/1 downgrade of meals. Come February 1, United will have the lowest threshold for meal times among the big three, save for the exception markets on American. Compared to the slop they are serving now, these changes next month will easily eclipse American's tv dinner style meals.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater
There was speculation in the thread this was done and rushed to meet American's 9/1 downgrade of meals. Come February 1, United will have the lowest threshold for meal times among the big three, save for the exception markets on American. Compared to the slop they are serving now, these changes next month will easily eclipse American's tv dinner style meals.
Well United has heavily cut catering, and even more so quality post 3/12. Some on this board say that catering quality does not matter, people buy on price and N/S or are locked into corporate contracts/hubs. I think their view reflects UA (and maybe UA) Upper Management's view.

If so - and there is a long history to support this. Its not like people have not been complaining about catering since Jeff took over, and the survey responses are just terrible. So I don't think they suddenly changed their stripes and said "oh, now lets spends some $$$, leap AA, gain a bunch of customers"

Nor do I think they suddenly woke up to the fact people were unhappy. Rather, it is January, if they decided to do this in in September, they announce in December (or November) as people decide what to do for next year.

That it is done in January says to me that UAL is getting bad signs on sales, either problems with corporate accounts, or a new round of defections (like this time last year) as they look at the numbers of high spending GS/1Ks, and someone was able to draw a line, force a partial reversal in policy.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Well United has heavily cut catering, and even more so quality post 3/12. Some on this board say that catering quality does not matter, people buy on price and N/S or are locked into corporate contracts/hubs. I think their view reflects UA (and maybe UA) Upper Management's view.

If so - and there is a long history to support this. Its not like people have not been complaining about catering since Jeff took over, and the survey responses are just terrible. So I don't think they suddenly changed their stripes and said "oh, now lets spends some $$$, leap AA, gain a bunch of customers"

Nor do I think they suddenly woke up to the fact people were unhappy. Rather, it is January, if they decided to do this in in September, they announce in December (or November) as people decide what to do for next year.

That it is done in January says to me that UAL is getting bad signs on sales, either problems with corporate accounts, or a new round of defections (like this time last year) as they look at the numbers of high spending GS/1Ks, and someone was able to draw a line, force a partial reversal in policy.
What I was going at what this was in the works last spring. Jeff and Co. felt they needed to do something to bring back HVFs after another disastrous first quarter. When American came out with their changes post 9/1, United tried to launch what they could earlier, hence the new lunch/dinner sandwiches. United probably wanted to wait to launch their new meal service this year but felt necessary to do an initial round of new meal service just as American was cutting theirs. With the Parkerization of American, United might be able to win back a few HVFs. I agree this is lipstick on a pig, ignoring the many other, more important reasons why they lost so many HVFs. Ultimately, until they move off of SHARES, United will have a serious revenue problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.