Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by COA777
Hmmm. First ingredients are water...As to "chicken" in First/Business on United, unless it clearly evidences real chicken (bone-in), I won't be touching it, and no chance at all that I'll be eating "chicken" dishes from BOB menu.
The chicken breast I had yesterday -- and the only edible meal out of four -- was indeed real chicken and not mashed up and reformed chicken. Is it not true that humans are something like 90% water? So too there would be a volume of water in any real meat we purchase. As for the corn starch, could be the breading on the chicken breast.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Is it not true that humans are something like 90% water?
Nah, 70%. That ingredient list is quite disturbing. Only way could've been worse: "Chicken-like compressed matter" or "Soylent Green".
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by spearsba
Just flew ORD-ANC on a 737-8 in F. We were given 3 main course choices. I chose the spinach pasta, pretty tasty. The sides and salad were also good. The return from ANC-DEN in F was the midnight flight, most slept but they did ofier a cheeseburger that wasn't half bad. Not really on topic, but the FA bounced around the F cabin taking orders, me first.
Is a third choice coming to transcon/domestic long hauls? That menu would fit in with UA's push to increase gluten-free options.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Have they announced a specific date for rollout on UA Express flights? I have about 7 flights on CR7s in January, but have a feeling it won't be ready by then.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Have they announced a specific date for rollout on UA Express flights? I have about 7 flights on CR7s in January, but have a feeling it won't be ready by then.
I was on a Go-Jet CRJ-700 flight just a few weeks back, and the FA told me that they do not have ovens for hot food and that she was not aware of any changes from the snack boxes..... looks like there would need to be major overhauls to the aircraft to facilitate anything more than a cold snack service.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I was on a Go-Jet CRJ-700 flight just a few weeks back, and the FA told me that they do not have ovens for hot food and that she was not aware of any changes from the snack boxes..... looks like there would need to be major overhauls to the aircraft to facilitate anything more than a cold snack service.
Think is gonna hafta be on the 170/75s, don't think those wee 145s/CR2/CR7s can handle it. Fortunately they're going byebye. ^
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Think is gonna hafta be on the 170/75s, don't think those wee 145s/CR2/CR7s can handle it. Fortunately they're going byebye. ^
Definitely ^^ to this... the only ones I would miss are the ERJ145's... seats are actually pretty comfortable and I like the single seats.

I would bet that the CRJ700's will take quite a long time to phase out after the investment UA just put into those with the new Recaro seats....
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Well, I think they are planning cold tray service the way both AA and DL do on many of their longer regional jet routes. No need for ovens, but an upgrade from the processed food in the snack boxes.

Just trying to figure out when that will begin.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Well, I think they are planning cold tray service the way both AA and DL do on many of their longer regional jet routes. No need for ovens, but an upgrade from the processed food in the snack boxes.

Just trying to figure out when that will begin.
yes this is basically the plan.

knowing UA, it will take about 10 years to implement.

on my recent 2.5hr DL midcon CR700 flight, I had basically the same cereal breakfast as UA mainline. of course, DL still managed to put out a better quality product (fresher fruit, bigger portion) with the exception of the bread.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Definitely not by January. I seem to recall that being part of the "mid-2015" set of changes so don't hold your breath.

Also, the meal times and details are such that it would be a cold sandwich on offer generally.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
What is so difficult about getting the food on UX flights? We haven't gotten an update on this since August, and multiple spring flights have changed from mainline to UX. the snack box paid F customers are getting is literally crackers, hummus, and chocolate covered acai berries. All packaged. All processed. The Savory snack is better.. Anything in the back is better,. Thats less than whats sold in coach. At minimum, can't we have what coach has until they finally get around to serving something? This is an insulting gap in service compared to other carriers. Why is this taking a year to change? And why are F customers fed something of lesser quality than the Y cabin buys for $7?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: 1K
Heck, I'll settle for a glass of water on my UX route DRO<->DEN when in F.

Seems like the UX crew can't be bothered to offer even mediocre service in F even when there are often 2-3 GS in the 7 seat F cabin.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
... And why are F customers fed something of lesser quality than the Y cabin buys for $7?
Because at today's UA, cash is king. If you want the buy on board food, all you have to do is fork over $7 to the FA and they will deliver a snack box to you in F.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:33 am

I'm still having a hard time seeing where the "multi-million dollar investment" is going. Add a few salads, move over-priced sandwiches back to front, do "something" at UX, etc. Is there anything significant to all of this?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Heck, I'll settle for a glass of water on my UX route DRO<->DEN when in F.

Seems like the UX crew can't be bothered to offer even mediocre service in F even when there are often 2-3 GS in the 7 seat F cabin.
Rainey is still working on his next presentation to the investment community that premium passengers are over-entitled.

If you will.

For a recent 7 AM SNA-DEN flight, we got a scone. And that was mainline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.