Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DC-Chicago-Billings,Montana Stopover possibility?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC-Chicago-Billings,Montana Stopover possibility?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vandrei
Originally Posted by mkr
Where do you read that there are no free stopovers within North America?
Originally Posted by Indelaware
There are no free stopovers on awards wholly within North America.
Not an authoritative source, but apparently the cost for a domestic stopover is 10,000 miles. ....
that is my experience (10K for a domestic RT stopover post Feb 2014)

Indirectly alluded to by UA Insider post in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2014-a.html

and again
A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the continental U.S., Alaska and Canada. For travel booked on or after February 1, 2014, a stopover is permitted only on certain roundtrip itineraries. Additional mileage may be required.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:08 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by csquarediva
Prices just go up and up as airlines continue to merge. Delta and United are really my only two choices flying from the east coast. And you can only really get to Billings from SLC, MSP, or DEN.

The Delta flights are way better (esp. if you connect through MSP and you don't have the same weather problems as through SLC or DEN). But there's so little Delta award availability (and it appears practically none to Montana at the saver rate) so those miles aren't really useful, so when looking at flying on award travel, United is sort of the only option.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
that is my experience (10K for a domestic RT stopover post Feb 2014)

Indirectly alluded to by UA Insider post in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2014-a.html

and again
More enhancements to MP.

OP, sounds like you have limited choices. Have you checked out AmTrak? Sometimes they have specials.

Last edited by mkr; Jul 10, 2014 at 11:26 pm
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
EDIT: Late to the party, nevermind.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by mkr

More enhancements to MP.

OP, sounds like you have limited choices. Have you checked out AmTrak? Sometimes they have specials.
Amtrak to Chicago?

I think that either the OP needs to spend the extra miles or take F9 out of IAD at $49 o/w a/i + bag fees if the stopover in CHI is needed.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
EDIT: Late to the party, nevermind.
Flying UA is always a party for those FFs who twist the rules appropriately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.