Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DC-Chicago-Billings,Montana Stopover possibility?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to fly from DC (any airport) to Chicago (any airport) to Billings, Montana.

I've gotten a itinerary to price at 35,000 (3 one ways at saver rates), but I keep trying to figure out if there's a way to get a free stopover and drop the mileage cost.

I think the problem is that the DC-Chicago leg is pricing at 10,000 miles, which excludes it from the free stopover (although if it was 12,500, I think it would count--not quite sure since the rule change)

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could maximize miles? Flying to visit family in Montana is at least $450 minimum for a roundtrip--even 6 months out on a random week--so I'm really trying to stretch my miles as far as possible. My last two trips to Europe were cheaper than my last two trips to Montana!

Flight I'm looking at now is:

BWI-ORD Sept. 26
ORD-BIL Sept. 29
BIL-IAD Oct. 13.

Need to be in Chicago by 5pm on Sept. 26 (through morning of Sept. 28), but otherwise my dates/times are flexible.

Any advice from the flyertalk experts would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:32 pm

There are no free stopovers on awards wholly within North America.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd look for something really cheap in terms of cash DC-ORD and just use miles ORD-Billings, as that's where you're getting hosed on price in all likelihood.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I'd look for something really cheap in terms of cash DC-ORD and just use miles ORD-Billings, as that's where you're getting hosed on price in all likelihood.

Good idea. Also, if the OP has access to Avios, BWI-ORD is 4,500 miles in that program.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:24 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
I am assuming there is a compelling reason to go through Chicago.

WN flies a one way from several airports DC area to Chicago Midway for $110
on Sept 27
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, Chicago is a wedding. I'm not really concerned about the DC-Chicago leg--tons of options there. Just trying to maximize value on a DC-Montana trip. Would be a perk to get the Chicago trip for basically free.

I guess a better question might be tips/tricks for saving on a ridiculously always expensive domestic flight
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Which airlines fly to Billings? If it is a monopoly, you may simply be SOL.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:58 pm
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Sorry, I misread when you needed to be in Chicago. A Kayak check revealed airfares RT Chicago- Billings at $439. But you also need to get back to DC...a problem.

Would you be renting a car while in Billings? If so, have you checked out other options to fly to another city out that way & rent a car there? Just a thought.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by mkr
WN flies a one way from several airports DC area to Chicago Midway for $110 on Sept 27
F9 has $49 o/w a/i fares IAD to ORD. Of course, it is F9.

AS, UA, DL, and some smaller carriers.

The problem with flying to most Montana airports on United is two-fold: one, the large number of UX CRJ-200s and other undesirable aircraft, and two, the over-reliance on DEN. If anything goes wrong at DEN, it's not terribly hard to get in trouble.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
No wonder I couldn't pull off a stopover between IAD and FCA.

Last edited by vandrei; Jul 10, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:44 pm
mkr
Suspended

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Where do you read that there are no free stopovers within North America?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
Not an authoritative source, but apparently the cost for a domestic stopover is 10,000 miles.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/1...ited-stopover/
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkr

I've seen it online that you can and that you can't. I think there's a lot of confusion since the award rule changes.

Prices just go up and up as airlines continue to merge. Delta and United are really my only two choices flying from the east coast. And you can only really get to Billings from SLC, MSP, or DEN.

The Delta flights are way better (esp. if you connect through MSP and you don't have the same weather problems as through SLC or DEN). But there's so little Delta award availability (and it appears practically none to Montana at the saver rate) so those miles aren't really useful, so when looking at flying on award travel, United is sort of the only option.

downfall of being from an awesome place like Montana

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 10, 2014 at 11:54 pm
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:43 pm
mkr
Suspended

Originally Posted by csquarediva
Prices just go up and up as airlines continue to merge. Delta and United are really my only two choices flying from the east coast. And you can only really get to Billings from SLC, MSP, or DEN.

The Delta flights are way better (esp. if you connect through MSP and you don't have the same weather problems as through SLC or DEN). But there's so little Delta award availability (and it appears practically none to Montana at the saver rate) so those miles aren't really useful, so when looking at flying on award travel, United is sort of the only option.
I called the 1K desk. I was informed there is 10,000 mile charge for a domestic stopover on reward travel. I have never seen that written down on the UA website.

You can reach Billings from Seattle also. What about routing through Canada? Isn't Canada considered International to avoid the 10,000 mile stopover charge?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by mkr
I called the 1K desk. I was informed there is 10,000 mile charge for a domestic stopover on reward travel. I have never seen that written down on the UA website.
See the seventh bullet on

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...vel/types.aspx

which reads:
A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the continental U.S., Alaska and Canada. For travel booked on or after February 1, 2014, a stopover is permitted only on certain roundtrip itineraries. Additional mileage may be required. (emphasis added)
So the OP can't route through Canada either.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mkr
You can reach Billings from Seattle also.
And Portland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.