Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Explorer priority boarding(?) experiences if CC not used for purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus Explorer priority boarding(?) experiences if CC not used for purchase

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:28 pm

I feel I am forced to buy it to get on board quicker as (and I will probably be unpopular for saying this!) I can't believe how much and the size of cabin baggage Americans take on board United seem to have no (or an unenforced) cabin baggage policy, its usually a free for all on the flights we seem to go on
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scotsman2010
I feel I am forced to buy it to get on board quicker as (and I will probably be unpopular for saying this!) I can't believe how much and the size of cabin baggage Americans take on board United seem to have no (or an unenforced) cabin baggage policy, its usually a free for all on the flights we seem to go on
The amount shocks me too, and yes, it generally is a complete free for all - even after Sizergate 2014.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:16 pm

Explorer card benefits worked retroactively for me

I'm 1K so the boarding priority and bag charges aren't relevant to me. But I will say that when I got the Explorer card, multiple old but still unflown award reservations of mine, bought with a different card to cover the tax charges, suddenly showed eligible for CPU, which is another Explorer card benefit, and one I didn't qualify for prior to getting the card. So at least in my case, a new Explorer card retroactively changed old reservations to update the benefits. Others have reported this as well.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:19 pm

Just to follow-up here...

The issue with priority boarding not working resolved itself. 12 hours before the flight I refreshed the boarding pass again and the group changed from 4 to 2. No problems on the return at 24 hours out.

Must have just been a glitch.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Another data point:

Purchased a ticket in Y- a few months ago using company card not Chase Visa

Called this week to convert my old, legacy, no benefit Chase Visa card to Explorer card

Checked in this morning for flight today and received Geoup 2 priority boarding.

Amazing how things actually work correctly sometime
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Baze
Sorry, but I wish this wasn't a benefit of the card. Or UA should do it like they used to, priority boarding AFTER all elites and before general boarding. With more and more of these CC out there group 2 is getting to be huge, and yes, many of the people in group 2 are CC holders. Just my opinion. And the purchase of priority boarding should be in the same place, after elites and before general boarding. Groups 3,4 and 5 have hardly any people in them any more.
This'll drag the thread OT, but yeah, CCs need to be pushed back to 3, as well as Silvers. Push Plats (and maybe 1Ks like me back to 2). BG1 can be too large.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:43 am

The same thing is happening to me, but I actually booked my EWR-DEN flight with my Explorer Card. I checked in this morning and got stuck in GROUP 5!!! I called two times and both agents told me I needed to deal with it at the airport, as they couldn't change my group over the phone. I am a new cardholder but I have the card in-hand and used the card to book the trip. I hope I don't get the run-around at EWR because I will NOT be happy.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This'll drag the thread OT, but yeah, CCs need to be pushed back to 3, as well as Silvers. Push Plats (and maybe 1Ks like me back to 2). BG1 can be too large.
I would agree with this, but only if they allowed paid first to board before anyone else, including GS, and especially people who get a free upgrade to FC.

That would make for a decent balance between elite benefits and people who are actually paying for the front cabin.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
MileagePlus Explorer priority boarding seemingly not as advertised

So for the first time since I've had the card, I got group 3 today. My company policy now forces me to use a corp AmEx card, however this wasn't an issue when I booked my tickets through the corp travel site. This ticket, however, was purchased directly at UA's website but with the AmEx. Asked at the customer service center and got the "you have to pay with the card to get that benefit" answer to which I said there is no such statement in any of the fine print (like the experiences above). Alas, nothing they can do. Waiting at the gate now and will ask about showing my card to get on with group 2.

When I mentioned that this didn't happen when I booked through the corp site, agent suggested I book that way again to see. Funny that essentially I'm getting penalized when using UA's site.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
When I mentioned that this didn't happen when I booked through the corp site, agent suggested I book that way again to see. Funny that essentially I'm getting penalized when using UA's site.
Do you work for a large company, and have a managed contract with UA?

Is it possible that your corporate agreement (which would only be visible when booking through the portal) includes priority boarding?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Quote:

Do you work for a large company, and have a managed contract with UA?

Is it possible that your corporate agreement (which would only be visible when booking through the portal) includes priority boarding?
I did think about that but I'm pretty sure we do not have any agreement with UA as they aren't even a "preferred carrier" on our corp website.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:10 pm

MileagePlus Explorer priority boarding seemingly not as advertised

Hahahahahahahaha! So I just asked the gate agent if I could board with 2 by showing my Explorer Card and she very matter-of-factly stated that the program has now changed and you no longer get boarding group 2 just for having the card. I got three because I'm in a window seat. I asked when it changed and she said "a couple of months ago" - clearly she has NO idea what she is talking about as I just flew last week and got group 2. I can't stop laughing. Someone set me straight please - would be pretty major news if they did away with this benefit (and contrary to the millions of ads for the card here in DEN). Hilarious.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
I would agree with this, but only if they allowed paid first to board before anyone else, including GS, and especially people who get a free upgrade to FC.

That would make for a decent balance between elite benefits and people who are actually paying for the front cabin.
I must strongly disagree with the notion that First Class customers should be segregated based on how they ended up in that cabin. That opens the door to other benefits of the cabin not being provided (such as lounge access for BF/GF passengers, which costs UA money in some cities where they contract with a third party because there's no UC). What about always having last choice for meals? It's a bad path to even start going down.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt DIscoverist
I had the same issue and it was resolved in about a month. During that time I just boarded with group two and showed my Mileage Plus card, no issues.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
I must strongly disagree with the notion that First Class customers should be segregated based on how they ended up in that cabin. That opens the door to other benefits of the cabin not being provided (such as lounge access for BF/GF passengers, which costs UA money in some cities where they contract with a third party because there's no UC). What about always having last choice for meals? It's a bad path to even start going down.
FC customers are currently segmented when it comes to meal choice. This segmentation is based on elite status, which will equate to the likelihood that one got into the cabin on a free upgrade on many routes. So UA is effectively prioritizing passengers who did not pay for FC over those that did when it comes to choice of meal.

As a compromise, maybe keep FC (paid and freebies) together as group 1, but then ensure that they board before any elites that are not sitting in FC. Just call FC, then GS, then passengers with disabilities / uniformed military, and then groups 1-5 in order.

And equalize all other aspects of FC service (meal choice, etc), regardless of elite status level, or how much one paid for their ticket.

I appreciate the desire to not treat folks with a free upgrade as "less than" paid FC customers, but I would argue that it is just as wrong to treat them better than paid FC customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.