Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Explorer priority boarding(?) experiences if CC not used for purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus Explorer priority boarding(?) experiences if CC not used for purchase

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Explorer benefits on voucher purchase?

I received a voucher, or really a credit, from United on a First to Business downgrade due to plane change many months ago and used a portion of that to book a flight recently.

A few weeks ago, after I purchased the flight, I signed up for and received my Chase Explorer card.

Since the Explorer card is linked to my MileagePlus number, will this flight give me the earlier boarding privileges and such even though I didn't use the card to purchase the flight?

I randomly logged in today and see that on my reservation its showing 1st bag free, so I'm assuming that is because of the Explorer card as I don't have status on United anymore.

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by linkerbox
... Since the Explorer card is linked to my MileagePlus number, will this flight give me the earlier boarding privileges and such even though I didn't use the card to purchase the flight? ...
You should and generally this seems to work (as most recent posts in this thread relate) but early on there were issues.

Originally Posted by linkerbox
...I randomly logged in today and see that on my reservation its showing 1st bag free, so I'm assuming that is because of the Explorer card as I don't have status on United anymore. ...
a good sign
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Unhappy Priority Boarding Question

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. Has anyone had an experience where:

1) You did not purchase your ticket with your MP Explorer Card and still got your priority boarding benefit?
2) Booked a UA award ticket through Air Canada, paid with your MP Explorer Card and still gotten your priority boarding benefit?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by JLiebo92
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. Has anyone had an experience where:

1) You did not purchase your ticket with your MP Explorer Card and still got your priority boarding benefit?
Yes. I purchase the ticket with my corporate card and get group 2 due to having the cc attached to my MP account.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just to clarify, my question was regarding specifically priority boarding, not checked baggage.

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Yes. I purchase the ticket with my corporate card and get group 2 due to having the cc attached to my MP account.
Great! Thank you!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 11, 2016 at 12:42 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JLiebo92
2) Booked a UA award ticket through Air Canada, paid with your MP Explorer Card and still gotten your priority boarding benefit?
Then no.

Credit card benefits is attached to the M+ account number. So to get it, you must ask AC to remove the AP number and replace it with your M+ number.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:23 pm

Explorer boarding upgrade question

I would like to sign up for the Explorer credit card but was told by the representative that i must purchase my airline tickets with the credit card to receive the boarding pass upgrade to 2

I'm required to use my company credit card to purchase tickets for company travel. Is there any way around this?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:24 pm

Nope.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, of course there is.

Have your employer end its practice and permit you to use your Explorer card and submit the tickets for reimbursement.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by agincourt1
I would like to sign up for the Explorer credit card but was told by the representative that i must purchase my airline tickets with the credit card to receive the boarding pass upgrade to 2
The agent was wrong. You get Group 2 simply by being an Explorer card holder and having your MP number on the reservation.

The only UA benefit that's dependent on a Chase card purchase is the free checked bag.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The agent was wrong. You get Group 2 simply by being an Explorer card holder and having your MP number on the reservation.

The only UA benefit that's dependent on a Chase card purchase is the free checked bag.
This is correct. I just completed a flight paid with my Chase Sapphire Reserve and received BG2 for both myself and SO.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:52 pm

Great! I just signed up for the Explorer card and lets see what happens on my next flight. I will have the MP number but pay for the flight with my corporate Visa card. Hope to see group 2 status
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by agincourt1
Great! I just signed up for the Explorer card and lets see what happens on my next flight. I will have the MP number but pay for the flight with my corporate Visa card. Hope to see group 2 status
Note you have to wait for your account to post to United, which may take a week or two. You can tell it is linked when the notice about your miles expiring instead has a hover-text along the lines of "Thank you for being a Chase cardmember. Your miles will not expire."
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:00 pm

I have a trip booked for April. It's under my MileagePlus account, with my wife as a companion. I'm not eligible for a MileagePlus Explorer card due to 5/24, but my wife is. If she applies, will we still be able to get Priority Boarding for the future trip?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shimps1
I have a trip booked for April. It's under my MileagePlus account, with my wife as a companion. I'm not eligible for a MileagePlus Explorer card due to 5/24, but my wife is. If she applies, will we still be able to get Priority Boarding for the future trip?
If your wife's ticket has her MP account attached to her ticket, then yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.