Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Explorer priority boarding(?) experiences if CC not used for purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus Explorer priority boarding(?) experiences if CC not used for purchase

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:15 pm

I have the explorer card and booked a recent work trip through the company Concur booking site and pay with AMEX as required. Always received boarding group 2 in the past as my FF # is linked with my company profile in Concur. This time I was given boarding group 3. Has the program changed or was this a system error?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bryan7007
I had the same issue and it was resolved in about a month. During that time I just boarded with group two and showed my Mileage Plus card, no issues.
Ah, but clearly my gate agent wouldn't have let you board since she thinks it's no longer a benefit.

As an aside, when using my phone to board, the agents really never see the boarding group anyway. Even with a paper boarding pass, if they don't actually look at it, seems they don't really know and just trust the system. Always been a pet peeve of mine, them not enforcing the boarding order.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
As an aside, when using my phone to board, the agents really never see the boarding group anyway. Even with a paper boarding pass, if they don't actually look at it, seems they don't really know and just trust the system. Always been a pet peeve of mine, them not enforcing the boarding order.
Lately, I've noticed that the boarding pass scanner and computer are checking for boarding group number and will alert the gate agent with an alarm when someone tries to board before their group is called. It was discussed in another thread (which I can't find right now). I noticed it kick into action at CLE a couple weeks ago when the passengers ahead of me tried to board earlier than they were supposed to. They were turned away by the gate agent.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
That's probably why the gate program was modified to enforce boarding groups.

The recent issue with Group 2 and Chase cardmembers is known. They are working on it. There is a bulletin in the Customer service detailing the procedure for agents to reference. Now, getting some of them to find it is the next issue.....
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Wow, UA is taking rule enforcement seriously!

As an aside, once while boarding group 5 was boarding, I waited in the boarding group 3 lane. The agent called me forward, scanned my pass, then told me I had to wait, I wasn't in group 3. I replied that I was in group 1, got scolded for being in the group 3 line, and was allowed to board!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by johnden
Wow, UA is taking rule enforcement seriously!

As an aside, once while boarding group 5 was boarding, I waited in the boarding group 3 lane. The agent called me forward, scanned my pass, then told me I had to wait, I wasn't in group 3. I replied that I was in group 1, got scolded for being in the group 3 line, and was allowed to board!

Perhaps the GA needs to use common sense.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MattR23
Lately, I've noticed that the boarding pass scanner and computer are checking for boarding group number and will alert the gate agent with an alarm when someone tries to board before their group is called. It was discussed in another thread (which I can't find right now). I noticed it kick into action at CLE a couple weeks ago when the passengers ahead of me tried to board earlier than they were supposed to. They were turned away by the gate agent.
Indeed, on my return flight last night, I tried to board with group 2 even though I was once again given group 3. Sure enough, an alarm went off and briefly the scanner said something to the effect of "customer must wait for boarding group" - however it seemed they were having issues with the process anyway so the agent let me on (I don't think he saw the message). I had my card out and showed it anyway. It will likely affect me again this week, however should finally have silver status after that so it won't matter anymore.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
This will finally be an issue for me since I will sadly lose my remaining elite status with UA next year. I actually flew quite a lot of BIS miles this past year, but most of my long haul flights were on LH and TG, so I won't satisfy the spending threshold.
I have a legacy Chase MileagePlus Awards card and I recently got an email reminding me of the benefits of this card, including priority boarding. Regarding the discussed bug of Chase card holders not getting boarding group 2: Can anyone state from experience whether it made any difference if they purchased their ticket using their Chase card?

On a side note, it is really sad to see my relationship with UA end, as I have had either Silver or Gold status for many years. My first time in an airplane was in UA first class, flying PHL-LAX-OGG back in the early 1980s. What a wonderful experience that was!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
This will finally be an issue for me since I will sadly lose my remaining elite status with UA next year. I actually flew quite a lot of BIS miles this past year, but most of my long haul flights were on LH and TG, so I won't satisfy the spending threshold.
I have a legacy Chase MileagePlus Awards card and I recently got an email reminding me of the benefits of this card, including priority boarding. Regarding the discussed bug of Chase card holders not getting boarding group 2: Can anyone state from experience whether it made any difference if they purchased their ticket using their Chase card?

On a side note, it is really sad to see my relationship with UA end, as I have had either Silver or Gold status for many years. My first time in an airplane was in UA first class, flying PHL-LAX-OGG back in the early 1980s. What a wonderful experience that was!
Yes, that is the OP's main complaint in this thread. If you don't book the flight with your MP card, you will not receive the benefits. It has been like this for a while and I don't think it will change any time soon!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq

How much are you spending on your MP Visa? You could have qualified for the exception to the PQD threshold if you spent enough on your credit card and still earn status next year.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by hookthem
Yes, that is the OP's main complaint in this thread. If you don't book the flight with your MP card, you will not receive the benefits. It has been like this for a while and I don't think it will change any time soon!
I understand that. My question was does it matter if I use the card for my ticket; in other words are there instances of people purchasing a ticket with their Chase card and still not getting the zone 2 boarding?

To the other poster asking about the Chase spending exception - not even close on that card. Most of my spending goes on my Amex.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:20 pm

Question Priority boarding with Chase/United Explorer Card

If wife books our tickets on united.com using her Master Card (not a Chase card), will we both board in Group 2 since I have the Chase Mileage Plus Explorer Visa Card?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
If wife books our tickets on united.com using her Master Card (not a Chase card), will we both board in Group 2 since I have the Chase Mileage Plus Explorer Visa Card?
If you dont have status and are using a different card, then no. If you have status (Platinum) and using a different card, then sure. The boarding group 2 is a benefit of the MP Explorer card only if it is used to pay for the ticket and/or fees (in case of an award ticket)
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
If neither of you have status, the boarding passes won't show BG2, they'll show BG 3, 4, or 5.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Are we sure? I thought that, unlike baggage, the boarding privilege remains unrelated to use of the card, in reality?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.