Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by exerda
Yes, and I don't see any reason for UA to change that given the fact they already account for price (via PQD) and also offer PQS for the short-hop pax.
Indeed. My wild guess is that it's more likely that there is a customer-unfriendly move to materially hike up PQD requirements than there is to be a massive customer-unfriendly adjustment to PQM requirements.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
But don't buy into the bs about this that that is what they are doing. It is a devaluation with some people being better off. Rewarding people who spend more could have been done in many different ways. This is just about devaluing the miles programs under the flag of "rewarding high spenders". And I believe that there is a cap on that too.
Yes. I've actually been surprised that there has been more discussion/recognition of this. This change should significantly decrease the total number of miles UA has to give out. Sure at the top end folks will get more but many, many more folks will get a lot less. Given the cost crossover points (and remember that most of the crossover point discussion on cpm has been using the relatively tiny number of 1Ks for reference) overall UA will greatly reduce total miles awarded. I suspect this aspect cloaked in the rest of the desire (legitimate) to move to a value based program is what really is driving UA.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
That's odd. I'm Lifetime Platinum with Marriott and I get upgrades rooms, often a suite, virtually every time I stay with them.
As Marriott Platinum, I usually get a decent room on a high floor, but I can't remember the last time I got a suite (it has been years).

I think this depends on how much you pay for the room as well as status.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by bldr1k
As Marriott Platinum, I usually get a decent room on a high floor, but I can't remember the last time I got a suite (it has been years).

I think this depends on how much you pay for the room as well as status.
I think it's more based on availability... I have been upgraded to presidential suite on a discount pre-pay rate at the Marriott in Ft. Collins, CO.... I certainly got a good deal (even without the upgrade). They were virtually empty that night.... don't know the exact numbers.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:16 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by acesflyerSFO
Everyone should by just 1 share of ual stock and arrive into the next shareholder meeting in Chicago with an AA boarding pass and take the mic one at a time...asking Smi/J to step down!!

What do you think? + 1 if you like this idea
Very interesting.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I had a funny thought this morning. What if DL came back in a few weeks and tweaked their program to make it more customer-friendly? Increase the multipliers by 1 or whatever.

That would put UA in a terrible position. If they change their program, it shows DL is really just pulling their strings. If they don't, they have the worst loyalty program AND worst product/service/quality among the big players.

I know it won't happen, no need to reply with that! I just spend a few minutes a day dreaming of how this management team might hasten its own downfall.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:59 am

[QUOTE=GUWonder;23027792]Short-haul flyers generally won't maintain or gain miles under the 2015 scheme unless they are willing and able to pay at least $1.50+/minute of flight time. So you have to be willing to pay DL over c. $130/hour of your pretax income to have a reasonable chance to break even on earning miles under the new program."

Where do you see that for UA?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Short-haul flyers generally won't maintain or gain miles under the 2015 scheme unless they are willing and able to pay at least $1.50+/minute of flight time. So you have to be willing to pay DL over c. $130/hour of your pretax income to have a reasonable chance to break even on earning miles under the new program.
Depends on how you spin it. Yea, I may be spending $100/hour while flying if a I buy a $400 flight that's 2 hours each way. But that's still a better use of my time than spending 10 to 15 hours hours driving. If I make $20 hour but spend 10+ hours driving, I'm breaking even by flying (in terms of the monetary value of my time). Plus one has to look at how that compares to wear & tear on their automobile too. Sure, you can get a more efficient automobile, but currently it's an average of $0.55/mile to operate your car. Thus even without looking at time, if I pay $0.20/mile to fly, I'm doing pretty well compared to driving, even if I have to get a rental car at the other end.

Do you fly DL jets (as a pilot)? Isn't the cost for take-off and landing and fuel burn higher per passenger mile flown on a 30-minute flight than on a 5 hour flight (ceteris paribus)?
No I don't fly as a pilot commercially. I'm an aerospace engineer though so I do have a background with aircraft performance. Yes, short hops have a higher CASM than longer flights (up to a certain point). But a 757 is still going to cost more overall to operate from ATL to LAX than ATL to MCO, so the operating cost for the ATL-LAX flight is still higher, even if the cost per mile is lower. Also, in the time that one aircraft is spending 5 hours operating ATL-LAX, the other aircraft can operate two or three 1 to 1.5 hour flights with paying passengers and bring in additional revenue while that ATL-LAX bird is still churning towards the west coast. The complexiities surrounding CASM are immense - aircraft type, airport fees, slots (did the airline have to pay for a slot at that airport), etc. all factor in true for margin and profit. But in a nutshell a $300 fare for ATL-RDU is still likely going to be more profitable to the airline than a $300 fare for ATL-LAX, so it's time to stop rewarding the ATL-RDU leg with 500 miles (well actually, while the ATL-LAX leg pulls in nearly 4 times as much.

And I say all this as someone who currently flies longer routes most of the time and benefits under the current/outgoing system.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:28 am

the airlines, like most corporations, know that consumers rarely revolt in significant numbers.... what are they gonna do, take Amtrak or Greyhound?

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 13, 2014 at 10:52 am Reason: Deleted quote removed
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JBord
I had a funny thought this morning. What if DL came back in a few weeks and tweaked their program to make it more customer-friendly? Increase the multipliers by 1 or whatever.

That would put UA in a terrible position. If they change their program, it shows DL is really just pulling their strings. If they don't, they have the worst loyalty program AND worst product/service/quality among the big players....
Why would DL do that? They're probably happy UA has followed them down. Now they don't have to worry about people make decisions based on RDMs and compete on flying experience. DL's now just hoping AA follows.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: UA3MMbis 1K, AA3½MMbis Plat, AF1MMbis, BonvoyLTT
Originally Posted by blueonions
the airlines, like most corporations, know that consumers rarely revolt in significant numbers.... what are they gonna do, take Amtrak or Greyhound?
The reason most of us don't take Amtrak or Greyhound much is not simply because there is the alternative of flying or driving – it's because they offer generally unpleasant experiences (at least for the time they take). I could note that Amtrak is taking traffic away from airlines on the NYC-WAS route where the experience is better, likewise the Channel Tunnel, but my point is there is another alternative: Travel less. I eliminated two trips for 2nd half 2014 yesterday as a result of all the MP and UA service cuts; it's just too unpleasant.

Of course much travel is not discretionary. But when an industry (and especially this carrier) hasten a move to alternatives like teleconferencing and commoditization they are destroying their value propositions, and that is ultimately incredibly stupid. UA seems like landline telephone companies to me: harvesting their customers and not seeing that those customers will migrate away if they don't maintain enough service and value edge to keep them. I guess you can do what AT&T and Verizon did and buy mobile telephone competitors, but what is UA going to buy? Microsoft already bought Skype.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Indeed. My wild guess is that it's more likely that there is a customer-unfriendly move to materially hike up PQD requirements than there is to be a massive customer-unfriendly adjustment to PQM requirements.
I just can't believe that UA shifted their "HVF" target so dramatically...

For status, $10k PQD is enough for 1k. 1k used to get you a 100% mileage bonus on the 100k miles flown to (re)earn the status. That's 200k RDMs.

With the new system, for a 1k to get those 200k miles, they would have to fly $18181 worth of tickets.

So, basically, UA just requested an 81% premium for obtaining the same number of miles.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:20 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GBadger
I just can't believe that UA shifted their "HVF" target so dramatically...

For status, $10k PQD is enough for 1k. 1k used to get you a 100% mileage bonus on the 100k miles flown to (re)earn the status. That's 200k RDMs.

With the new system, for a 1k to get those 200k miles, they would have to fly $18181 worth of tickets.

So, basically, UA just requested an 81% premium for obtaining the same number of miles.
I would not be surprised if in 2015, they announce a 50% hike to the PQD requirements for each level. That's assuming the current leadership is still in place and they haven't tipped into a spiral toward BK as they drive off more and more customers who realize they do have a choice in airlines.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
So, given that most long-haul flights are booked as a return, if I were to book a return spanning years (eg depart December 2015 return January 2016), which year would you expect to be credited?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by skycrab
So, given that most long-haul flights are booked as a return, if I were to book a return spanning years (eg depart December 2015 return January 2016), which year would you expect to be credited?
When traveled, just like they do with PQD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.