Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Let's see if I get this..
Service cuts chased away HVFs.
Mileage accrual cuts chases away the leisure traveler.
Brilliant.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Another straight copy of what DL did...

The solution talked about in that thread was to buy one-ways if not price-penalized
Which rarely works because international itineraries are frequently priced in round trip unless you go to full fare J
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Interesting. So this change too varies based on the residency of an account holder? UA says actual miles credited next year will vary based on residency too.

Non-US residency exempted account holders from PQD requirements. Same lawyers involved in this? What is scaring UA and it's lawyers such that residency of customers is a concern for UA?

Programs: United 1K
I find it hilarious that thy unleash this new policy at the same time that the pre-safety announcement featuring Smiesik talks about how great Mileage Plus is.

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by whimike
What is with the 75k mile cap?! So, as a 1K, if I buy a fare higher than $6,800 I am penalized?
Delta has the same limit, you wouldn't expect UA to be different?
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
If UA can't even calculate PQD for some bulk tickets, how can they award RDM, since both requires being able to view the spend ?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Is it Friday?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 787fan
Which rarely works because international itineraries are frequently priced in round trip unless you go to full fare J
Has worked quite well on my last few int'l trips actually
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
Brilliant.
Cutting mileage accrual devalues the product. Accordingly, prices need to come down more if UA wants people to buy a ticket at all.
Why fly UA BOS-SFO if I can fly B6 for the same fare and get a better product and equally valuable miles (certainly after this devaluation)?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least there is now absolutely nothing to keep me at UA. Next year I will most likely be GM on UA, MVPG on AS, and since UA was nice enough to give this warning in June, I should still have time to make plat on Delta this year with a challenge. Thanks at least for that Jeff!!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SFO777
Brilliant.

UA seems to love to try to paddle upstream, Kayakers included.

Welcome to frequent flyer programs becoming frequent shopper programs.

The closer and more fixed the rebates become, the more easily the government can tax mileage credits in the accounts of those flying on employer/client-paid trips.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:32 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Starting in 2015: Changes to how you earn award miles

Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:
  • Member: 5 award miles per US dollar spent
  • Premier Silver: 7 award miles per US dollar spent
  • Premier Gold: 8 award miles per US dollar spent
  • Premier Platinum: 9 award miles per US dollar spent
  • Premier 1K and Global Services: 11 award miles per US dollar spent
The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.

-UA Insider
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: United 1K
Although people buying first class fares likely don't focus too much on the miles earned, but this seems like yet another slap in the face to people who pay for first to Asia/Australia and sometimes to Europe. Another disincentive to flying first on United.

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Cutting mileage accrual devalues the product. Accordingly, prices need to come down more if UA wants people to buy a ticket at all.
Yeah - but by this logic cutting prices lessens the RDM accrual, and thus further devalues the product.

It's a losing battle if you consider RDMs as a part of the value-proposition for an airline ticket purchase.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're late to the party. In addition I love the creativity Delta, whoops I mean United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.