Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
My parents and I had started buying more expensive tickets to meet the PQD requirements, but now it's almost useless.
Take the time to look around. Although AA might jump out initially, I don't think anyone is ready to say they'll be immune from changes next year. Take a look at Alaska which has a lot of partners. You might not consider them being based in NY but it's something to seriously look at. Hopefully a different set of carriers can work for you. Don't overlook status matches either, particularly the AA 1K to EXP challenge, if you go that direction.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
An amazing opportunity for AA to take all the orphaned non-OPM elites. Hopefully they won't miss it.
Unfortunately (for EXPs), I sense another round of status match 1K poaching coming very soon.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SFO777
Unfortunately (for EXPs), I sense another round of status match 1K poaching coming very soon.
The million dollar question is whether it will come with 8 systemwides this time around after a minimal amount of flying. I'm guessing "no".
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by eflyte
Nah, this incentivizes nothing but credit cards, unless you think that buying RDM at 9+ cents per is a good deal.

Chase friendly.
Does credit card spending count for qualification?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Flying = 5-11 RDMs per $
Buying miles = 43-47 RDMs per $

Flyers punished.

A3*G just became that much more valuable.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Whether it does or does not work toward the PQD levels -- there are residency exemptions -- the changes UA is noting in this thread are going to increase the proportion of (redeemable) miles issued for credit card spending and reduce the proportion of its miles which have been issued for flying.

Welcome to the demise of the frequent flyer program and to the rise of the Phoenix in the form of a frequent dollar shopper program.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
No, but neither does this. (not yet, anyway)
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Any incentive for travel with United is gone with this "enhancement."
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by golfingboy

At least DL actually tries to improve things while bolstering profitability. Seems to work quite well, not so much for UA as they are only focused on the latter.
Bingo. Snacks and free drinks in Economy Comfort, as well as free drinks on all international flights.

When is the last time UA included service improvements?

DL is going to continue to print money. This allows them to improve service while pursuing an emphasis on revenue in their loyalty program. Win-win for them.

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well S-word. Not that this isn't surprising but it is disappointing. Unlike Delta where I tend to spend more on my flights, UA is whom I fly only when it's cheap so this hurts, especially as I have no plans to get status back on them. I guess I'm just part of the problem though

Sigh, I miss 10 years ago.

Programs: Lots
To put this change into perspective:

A one way, first class award on LH from IAD to FRA will now require $10,000 in ticket purchases for a 1K.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Is it Friday?
Don't worry, at 4:59pm on Friday they'll inform us that fuel surcharges are no longer included in the PQD calculation.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I am soooooo glad I only need 505 miles to 1MM. Gold for life is fine with me. No more mileage runs as I have no intention of giving UA the dollars to get above Gold. Why bother???? I'm going to buy cheap, if I buy UA. otherwise I'll just use my miles. Even though I burned a ton since they announced deval I still have a ton more.

So sad and I just don't understand it. it's not like UA has the best product out there. especially INTL. I changed my latest award trip to LH F when it became available,to avoid the joke that is known as Global First.

Are they purposely driving away pax so they can file for bankruptcy?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I guess I don't quite understand what the driver of this is. Do flight generated miles create such a massive liability on the balance sheet that they need to cut flight mile earning?

Assuming there is a defensible financial reason to take this act, what is it?

Redemptions take up a significant proportion of salable first and business seats?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fivevsone
Redemptions take up a significant proportion of salable first and business seats?
Not as much as last Saturday's five hour BOS-ICN mistake fare cleaned out the SFO-ICN First cabin for the next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.