Search

Bed Bugs (on my UA Flight?)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA -Silver Mileage Plus
Bed Bugs (on my UA Flight?)

Hello,

I was not sure were to post what happen to me this past weekend on my flight from Houston to Lima on Wednesday May 21st, on flight UA0854R, seat 1D ( I think, but I was on business).

Everything was going well, I had my dinner and decided to go to sleep. I moved the seat flat and laid on my right side. I slept for about 2 hours before waking up to get ready for landing in Lima. When I was getting ready, I notice some small bites in my arm and shoulder, that before I got off the plane have gowned and they were super itchy. A total of 11 bites on my right arm and right shoulder was the aftermath of that flight. I am positive that the bites were bed bugs, I have heard that some flights have bed bugs in their chairs.

I just want to let everybody know, try and keep an eye for them. I took some pictures, but it wont let me add them.

Take care y'all

Neolones

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 27, 2014 at 6:23 pm Reason: poor thread title
Old May 27, 2014, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
as this belongs in UA please follow it there

thanks

squeakr co Mod TS/S
Old May 27, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Those must be the bugs in the upgrade process.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
N672UA

Your bugs are getting around, arriving from London shortly and back to Lima tonight.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
UGH!! is all I can say.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
You're not the first person to get bed bugs on United.

"Apparently even business class isn't worth fumigating these days."
Old May 27, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
UGH!! is all I can say.
Yeah, nasty. I've never had them but my parents got bitten during a recent hotel stay. Very gross, and you'd really hope that airlines would make an infestation like this cause for downing a plane until it is bug free.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by DWooderson
Yeah, nasty. I've never had them but my parents got bitten during a recent hotel stay. Very gross, and you'd really hope that airlines would make an infestation like this cause for downing a plane until it is bug free.
To the OP - Did you report it?
Can't eradicate something that is not known about.
Provide UA with the flight/date and seat number.

Heck--this being FT - someone would probably tell youi to include the pictures and ask for compensation.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xzh445
Heck--this being FT - someone would probably tell youi to include the pictures and ask for compensation.
Why would one not ask for compensation?

Heck, I'm thinking about requesting compensation just for the mental distress this is causing me as I prepare for a UA TPAC . . . .
Old May 27, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Itch-friendly!
Old May 27, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA -Silver Mileage Plus
Hey guys, I did email United, and provided pictures. Not sure if I will get anywhere, specially since I am a lousy Silver status customer LOL.

I did provide the pictures to United, will keep you all informed.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:52 pm

FWIW, bed bug bites sometimes take up to 48 hours after the initial bite to appear and start itching (I've learned this from past experience, unfortunately). So while it's possible that there were bugs on the flight, you may have actually gotten bitten somewhere else up to two days beforehand...

Either way, probably a good thing that you reported this just to be safe and protect others! Thanks for doing so!
Old May 27, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Neolones
Hey guys, I did email United, and provided pictures. Not sure if I will get anywhere, specially since I am a lousy Silver status customer LOL.

It will get somewhere, don't worry about that. Something like this, UA will actually take action on if they do have it. Just like many hotel chains, it's a common occurrence and UA has procedures in place to address. A passenger probably stayed at a hotel, had it on their clothing, and they attached to the seat. The best part is that passenger probably also bought them home.

All I can recommend to you is to keep your luggage and clothing outside the house! Keep a detailed list of everything that came in contact on that plane, as in many situations, your form of compensation is replacement of items that may have been contaminated within reason.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Neolones

Such pun-ishment
Old May 27, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
DO NOT BRING YOUR CLOTHES INTO YOUR HOUSE/HOTEL. Don't put them in your luggage either. If you arrive at a hotel, go into bathroom and put all your clothes into a plastic bag and give to maid for laundry. If at home, undress in garage and put your clothes in hot water. These creatures will come into your home and make it their new home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.