Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Case For Alan Mulally as UAL CEO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Jeffry is here to stay until he decides to leave. Better get comfortable with that.
Yeah - we'll agree to disagree on this one. CEOs with his track record of "success" over a mult-year period don't cut it.

Originally Posted by EWR764
Perhaps not for the CEO job (in time, maybe) but if I were a member of the BoD, I would be counting down the days for Virasb Vahidi's non-compete to expire.
How about Graham Atkinson? Always thought he seemed to "get it".
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
...Jeffry is here to stay until he decides to leave. Better get comfortable with that.
Not exactly - he will leave when the board under pressure from institutional shareholders (what institution besides an investment fund holding airline stock should have their head examined) terminates him.

Actually I prefer we terminate the entire board first, then a new board can terminate Smisek...and Rainey.

Alienating customers, employees, suppliers, partners and investors - and consistently underperforming the industry group while doing nothing but spew corpspeak gibberish, jargon and excuses - it's time to end this.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yeah - we'll agree to disagree on this one. CEOs with his track record of "success" over a mult-year period don't cut it.

How about Graham Atkinson? Always thought he seemed to "get it".
Graham is way to friendly and customer service. I had the joy of meeting Graham, fantastic person, who really does get it.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Graham is way to friendly and customer service. I had the joy of meeting Graham, fantastic person, who really does get it.
I agree 100%. He has drive, imagination and understands loyalty, the customer and the structural aspects of the business.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
I agree 100%. He has drive, imagination and understands loyalty, the customer and the structural aspects of the business.
How does he feel about guitars and puppies?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
I disagree with Alan Mulally as a future CEO. He's quite talented, but his career is steeped in the ways of the manufacturing world. He would make a great independent Chairman for UAL, however.

IMO, United would be better served with a leader experienced in retail in a cutthroat marketplace, such as upscale apparel and consumer goods. The current President of Nordstrom, Blake W. Nordstrom, would be a solid fit for United. He's 52, and has led Nordstrom to outperform its chief competitors and analyst earnings estimates.

Leading United along the idea of "Nordstrom with wings" makes sense. United's operating hubs are located in upscale economic markets, the airline historically caters to premium business traveler clientele, and a revival of the customer experience analogous to what one receives when shopping at Nordstrom is essential for United to compete effectively against international and revived domestic competitors. It also helps that the product/branding tie-in possibilities Blake Nordstrom can bring to United from his own industry relationships would be nothing short of mind-boggling. Above all, Nordstrom gets "the vision thing", and can hire the ops and revenue management experts needed to translate the vision into a liked reality.

Last edited by nerdbirdsjc; Apr 25, 2014 at 8:36 pm
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
IMO, United would be better served with a leader experienced in retail in a cutthroat marketplace, such as upscale apparel and consumer goods. The current President of Nordstrom, Blake W. Nordstrom, would be a solid fit for United. He's 52, and has led Nordstrom to outperform its chief competitors and analyst earnings estimates.

Hmm...we'd go from no pillows in F to nice pillows in F...
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:22 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
My case for Megan Mulally

Pros:
  • She's hilarious
  • Will and Grace would've been lame without her
  • She can drink
  • Husband is absent, so she'll have plenty of time to pay attention to UA

Cons:
  • Her voice can be grating at times
  • Reduced to commercial work lately
  • Knows nothing about the airline business

the point of this list? it's just as relevant as FT posters making cases for new UA CEOs.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by glx
the point of this list? it's just as relevant as FT posters making cases for new UA CEOs.
LOL what's wrong with this thread - no different than most FT threads.

I thought that the idea for the Nordstrom CEO moving over was interesting and thought provoking! When CEO's at this level move industries it either works really well - or its a disaster - not much in between... The focus and experience with delivering exceptional customer service would be a big plus to UA, but the lack of experience with unions and highly complex operating models (where many critical factors are out of your control) would be hard to overcome...

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Apr 27, 2014 at 6:05 am
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: All of Them
How about Greg Brenneman? He's relatively young, and has airline exp. Was former COO and Board Member of Continental, and turned that company around. Currently runs Volotea, a LCC based out of Spain I think. Former CEO of Quiznos, Burger King, PwC, and executed turnarounds in all of the companies above. Worked at Bain before. Seems like a solid, smart, and relatively young chap.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lee Iacocca, or at least a younger clone of him. I know he is 89.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bl540611
How about Greg Brenneman? He's relatively young, and has airline exp. Was former COO and Board Member of Continental, and turned that company around. Currently runs Volotea, a LCC based out of Spain I think. Former CEO of Quiznos, Burger King, PwC, and executed turnarounds in all of the companies above. Worked at Bain before. Seems like a solid, smart, and relatively young chap.
Another great choice - he was Gordon's right hand man during the turn-around and Go Forward Plan.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
lots of discss about Mulally and his future on CNBC today
Ford's Mulally—a free agent with a ton of options
United has been mentioned by a few but then along a comment of why given the mess .
Old May 17, 2014, 9:48 pm

The problem with United right now is that they're running it like United. If they want to succeed they need to run it like CONTINENTAL !
Old May 17, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by 787Driver
The problem with United right now is that they're running it like United. If they want to succeed they need to run it like CONTINENTAL !
last I checked it's Continental with the word "United" on the plane. United was a great airline. Continetal has always been craptaculur. This abomination is nothing like United, which is why the United flyers that had no problem spending money on airfares and premium service have left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.