Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Case For Alan Mulally as UAL CEO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
he could work 2 days per week and accomplish twice as much as the current CEO.
No, destroying an airline is a full-time job.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What is the purpose of this thread?

I understand the internet forum desire to debate the number angels on a pinhead but this seems like an even less useful exercise.

This will be nothing more than a combination of Simsek bashing (don't have anything against that per se but we seem to have plenty of threats for doing that) and a rehashing of all that is wrong with post merger UA. It is delusional to think anything discussed here will result in a change of the situation. But I guess that critic applies to many threads.

So have at it but don't know why........
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Because speculation about new/better/more capable CEOs is fun?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What's the purpose of 95% of FT threads?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Frankly, I'm surprised that Smisek has lasted this long. Even with the questionable competition scenario in the USA, no company wants to continue to be losing all the popularity contests as consistently as UA.

But he has lasted this long, so there is obviously something I'm missing. As an earlier poster inferred, I'm not qualified to run an airline. I am a very highly qualified passenger, however, and there are many things that need immediate, drastic improvement. I just hope that those with the power to make that decision are seeing things similarly to the majority in this little thread.

Although on a much smaller scale, I'm a producer, workaholic, innovator and trailblazer. Retirement sounds like prison to me, so I'm just praying that my health allows me to work until I die in my sleep one night after some major accomplishment. Mulally is me x 50. He has to be even more driven to have accomplished all that he has done. If he were to be offered the job, I would be surprised to see him decline it. I'm sure that Mrs. Mulally is fully aware of all traits of the man she married.

Finally, it seems to me to be critically important for UA to make a positive change in leadership soon. They still have a great front line crew of agents (with the unavoidable exceptions) who typically know exactly how to make a customer feel special, even when their hands are tied. They need to be inspired again before they burn out. If they lose them, it's going to be very challenging to recreate the culture in which they evolved, and I'm talking about those from both sides of the merger. That's the number one advantage that UA still has. People who genuinely care.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

It's simple...

I understand the internet forum desire to debate the number angels on a pinhead but this seems like an even less useful exercise.

This will be nothing more than a combination of Simsek bashing (don't have anything against that per se but we seem to have plenty of threats for doing that) and a rehashing of all that is wrong with post merger UA. It is delusional to think anything discussed here will result in a change of the situation. But I guess that critic applies to many threads.

...I have long admired Mr. Mulally and always thought he would make an effective leader of UAL Corp. - of course the job went to Mr. Tilton back in 2002, he ascended in Boeing and left for Ford, but my views never ceased.

I brought this up at this time given his current "available" status, combined with UAL finding itself in a "unique" financial, operational, and labor situation. It seems as better time as ever, and few people have the ties and knowledge of the airline industry, a past working relationship with UAL, let alone the star power, as Mulally. The fact that he was talked about as a potential CEO of UAL a decade ago makes a discussion of him all the more relevant. If such a discussion leaves Mr. Smisek as collateral damage, so be it. Such a result is inevitable in discussion of succession plans. I'm not worried the least bit of how he is portrayed, or where and when on FT that happens.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Case For Alan Mulally as UAL CEO

The cult of the CEO has done more damage to American business and workers over the past 30 years than anything else
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

The "why" is we might as well start tabling and debating ideas because another one or two quarters like the one just reported along with a few more "wow, the F cabin is empty on my transcon" threads and we will be getting a new CEO soon enough.

Second my vote for Mulally.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Perhaps not for the CEO job (in time, maybe) but if I were a member of the BoD, I would be counting down the days for Virasb Vahidi's non-compete to expire.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
He's 68 years old. He strengthened Boeing. He saved Ford. He's got to want a beer in the shade with his feet up. And Mrs. Mulally has probably warned him not to start so much as a pet shop.
ugh really? At 68 i think we can find another CEO, thats a bit younger.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What's the purpose of 95% of FT threads?
lol Well said.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
it's friday and we're bored.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
After a great career at Boeing then a superstar at Ford who'd want to run an airline?
Ernest Breech
President Bendix Aviation > Board Chair & "Alternate" CEO (a/k/a Tutor to H2) Ford > TWA with Tillinghast post-Hughes
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:24 am

I am impressed by this guy:

Brad Tilden

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Tilden
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Frankly, I'm surprised that Smisek has lasted this long. Even with the questionable competition scenario in the USA, no company wants to continue to be losing all the popularity contests as consistently as UA

But he has lasted this long, so there is obviously something I'm missing. As an earlier poster inferred, I'm not qualified to run an airline.
I'm guessing this poster is highly successful in life and work because s/he has a strong grasp of her/his expertise. I'm not even a particularly qualified passenger and I certainly don't know anything about the corporate guidance of an airline. Btw, that's not the same as "running an airline"

Jeffry is here to stay until he decides to leave. Better get comfortable with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.