Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
During the COVID period, change fees are waived for many tickets
Sept 2020 - Change Fees Are Gone For Good
There won’t be any change fees if:
You’re traveling:
  • Within the U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico
  • Between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean
  • To other international destinations from the U.S.
You have these types of tickets:
  • Economy
  • Economy Plus®
  • United First®
  • United Business®*
  • United Premium PlusSM*
You can change Basic Economy and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by March 31, 2021.
UA's definitions -- in red added editorial comments
Basic Economy (most restricted) ---- Our most restricted fare:Seat assigned prior to boarding
No group or family seating
No carry-on bag, just a personal item
Earn award miles only, no Premier® qualifying credit
Upgrades and Economy Plus® are not available
No refunds or changes

Economy ---- Our standard Economy fare:Seat selection at booking, if seats are available
Enjoy other options for customizing your travel
Non-refundable -- fee to change*, credit toward future flight

Economy (flexible) ---- Our flexible Economy fare:Refundable fare; cancellation and change* fees may apply
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

Economy (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted Economy fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

First (lowest) ---- Our lowest fare in First:Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
Non-refundable -- a fee to change*, credit toward a future flight

First (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted First fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees.
Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
*Most change fees have been eliminated

Refundability
o Some tickets are refundable but with a change / cancellation fee
o In the fare rules, words like "CHANGES PERMITTED" or "CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED" indicate refundability

Note: For a ticket with multiple segments and different fares classes / fare rules, the most restrictive applies to the entire ticket. So a single non-refundable segment makes the entire ticket non-refundable.

related thread -- How to book a refundable ticket on UA

Print Wikipost

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Also worth noting that the fare rules depend both on the fare basis and the specific city pair and travel date. There is no blanket rule that all fares "AABCDEF123" have rules "XYZ" or such.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
If you have a subscription to a service like EF (and even then, if the fare no longer is for sale, it likely won't have it, either).
FYI, EF allows you to specify a ticketing date; that should give you access to historical fare rule information.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Just a couple of things to add:

1) While there are no universal rules (and you should always check the actual fare rules for your ticket), you can generally infer things about the rules by the last letter of the fare basis. For domestic tickets, if the fare basis ends in Y, it is almost always changeable/cancelable with no penalty. (I haven't found a counter-example, although I wouldn't be surprised if there are some.)

2) Keep in mind that if you cancel the return, the entire ticket will be re-priced as a one-way. This is rarely a problem with domestic tickets these days since most are priced as one-ways to start with (especially in E), but it is something to be aware of.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by sapman986
After searching for an answer to this I did not see anything.

I have already taken the outbound leg of a round trip flight in UA that was booked as an E class fare with paid upgrade to A in both directions. The fare basis for each leg is EAA00AFY.

I would like to do an SDC on the return leg to take an earlier flight, but would rather not go in economy.

My understanding is that if I change the flight with SDC I will get put in economy and will have to again pay or use an instrument to upgrade to first. Is this correct?

The E fare when purchased was marked as "/-REFUNDABLE-/" on the receipt under Fare Rules. Does this mean I would get a refund for the return leg if I canceled it at this stage? I'm pretty sure the upgrade fee would not be refunded.
When you look at your itinerary in your reservations, what is your current booking code? Also what routing and date is this? It would be much more helpful if you could post this info...

If you've already flown the outbound and this portion is all that remains.. It is possible you will be able to change it to another flight with no fee even outside of 24 hours if the routing is the same and the rules of the fare are met as long as there is both E and A classes available on your new flight. Otherwise.. if you need to use SDC... you should be able to retain your upgrade if you can find a flight with E and A.. I have had success even when there is no underlying E by calling and arguing.. but with both E and A you will be able to do it.

And yes, if you cancelled the rest of your ticket you would get a refund of the rest of the value of your ticket... assuming in this case "refundable" means fully refundable without paying a penalty. Sometimes refundable just means that you can get a refund after paying a fee..those tickets are often called "flexible"..they're sneaky like that. "Non-refundable" means even if you pay a fee, you can use the residual value towards a new ticket, but you cannot get a refund. If you post the city pair and date I or someone will tell you what it means exactly for your EAA00AFY fare. I'm thinking it probably means fully changeable & refundable with no fee..but no promises.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Mar 16, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I am not sure the basis for the others comments here but it is highly likely the fare IS fully refundable (even if partially used). I usually am required to buy refundable fares by my employer and have a good amount of experience with them.

1. The Fare Code EAA00AFY is likely that of a refundable fare as many (but not all) nonrefundable fares have an "N" as one of the middle characters. Your terminology is a bit off. The Fare Basis Code is "E" while "EAA00AFY" is actually the Fare Code.

2. Most UA fares require a ticket endorsement so the ticket will either be endorsed "NONREF/0VALUAFTDPT/CHGFEE" for a nonrefundable ticket or "/-REFUNDABLE-/".

If you purchased the upgrade before check-in and the ticket was reissued (i.e. a new ticket number) it's likely still refundable since the upgrade cost was the fare difference between the fare you purchased and the instant upgrade fare of the same basis (i.e. for your "E" based fare there is both the regular version and the instant upgrade version).

In the end, however, the actual fare rules govern and you'll need to call and ask UA. They should be able to tell you pretty easily (and I'd start off instantiating that its refundable until they can confidently tell you its not).

If the fare is refundable you can cancel and refund the remaining "coupons" for the unflown part of the fare. The agent can actually easily calculate this based on the fare construction formula that's embedded in the ticket but they will have to reprice the used coupons. The repricing will likley end up the same for a domestic flight since they are almost always one-way fares but international flights often have roundtrip fares that are significantly higher than OW. You can also change to a new flight and pay any fare difference to stay in F. I wouldn't try and use the term "Same Day Change" since this will only confuse the agent. If you have a refundable ticket SDC is pointless since there isn't a change fee. If the appropriate inventory is available you can change at any time (not just the same day) and only pay (or be refunded) any fare difference.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
"N" in the middle of the fare basis (aka fare basis code) usually denotes non-refundable. I think OP has a refundable ticket.
"E" other than the first letter in the fare basis (aka booking code) usually denotes roundtrip, whereas "A" other than the booking code denotes oneway.

added:
Any digits within the fare basis can indicate advance purchase and/or day/time restrictions. Likely, none of them applies to OP's ticket.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Mar 16, 2016 at 1:00 pm Reason: added
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:58 pm

Thanks all.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
One key thing is here is what the OP means by a "paid upgrade to A". There are two possibilities. Either (a) an upgrade fee was collected, probably at booking; or (b) the ticket was reissued in a higher fare class (presumably EAA00AFY/UPDI or EAA0UPFY - if nonstop service). Unless the ticket was reissued to a different fare than that, the following are almost certainly true:

The ticket is refundable and changeable (Y in eighth position). You can change the flight whenever you want, no need to wait for SDC.

The fare is a one-way basis (A in second position). So yes, you will get half the original amount back if you cancel the ticket.

The fare has no advance purchase requirement (00 in 4th/5th position). You can change to any flight(s) on the city pair allowed by the routing rules with E space, at any time.

The upgrade is a slightly stickier issue. If the ticket was reissued with an /UPDI basis, then everything above is true and the additional money is also refundable and you can change to any flight with E/A space. If the upsell was an "upgrade fee" then you might not be able to get a refund, but a nice agent will probably help you. You can check on the Saudia website what the current status of the ticket is.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by findark
One key thing is here is what the OP means by a "paid upgrade to A". There are two possibilities. Either (a) an upgrade fee was collected, probably at booking; or (b) the ticket was reissued in a higher fare class (presumably EAA00AFY/UPDI or EAA0UPFY - if nonstop service). Unless the ticket was reissued to a different fare than that, the following are almost certainly true:

The ticket is refundable and changeable (Y in eighth position). You can change the flight whenever you want, no need to wait for SDC.

The fare is a one-way basis (A in second position). So yes, you will get half the original amount back if you cancel the ticket.

The fare has no advance purchase requirement (00 in 4th/5th position). You can change to any flight(s) on the city pair allowed by the routing rules with E space, at any time.

The upgrade is a slightly stickier issue. If the ticket was reissued with an /UPDI basis, then everything above is true and the additional money is also refundable and you can change to any flight with E/A space. If the upsell was an "upgrade fee" then you might not be able to get a refund, but a nice agent will probably help you. You can check on the Saudia website what the current status of the ticket is.
I was about to write something similar; 100% agree with the conclusion here. If it's EAA00AFY/UPDI then it's refundable. If it's a paid upgrade with an upgrade fee then it's less clear.

While other statements in the thread about fare rules and restrictions being highly specific to markets or even more specific and granular are true, in this case UA's structure for refundability rules is clear and can be assumed to apply across markets.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Your terminology is a bit off. The Fare Basis Code is "E" while "EAA00AFY" is actually the Fare Code.
Not that it is particularly important in the context of this discussion, but your correction is wrong. "EAA00AFY" is the fare basis or fare basis code. "E" is generally called the booking class, fare class, booking code, or just the first letter of the fare basis (depending on context--in many cases the booking code doesn't match the first letter of the fare basis so all we really know from his post is that "E" is the first letter of the fare basis).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by findark
One key thing is here is what the OP means by a "paid upgrade to A". There are two possibilities. Either (a) an upgrade fee was collected, probably at booking; or (b) the ticket was reissued in a higher fare class
(a.)
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Refundable tickets

Hi,

I am looking to buy a UA ticket that is refundable in case I can't make the flight but have some trouble with the fare rules (I am not an expert at reading those).
From my understanding, the below fare rule states that the ticket is fully refundable, can anyone confirm? (As I have a high chance of not making the flight)
Also, is the procedure to get the refund a pain or is it usually pretty smooth?

It is a domestic flight in H and sold as "Flex" on UA's website.

Thanks!

GENERAL RULES TEXT CANCELLATIONS BEFORE DEPARTURE CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED. NOTE - -- EXCHANGE - CHANGE TO 1ST TICKETED FLIGHT / WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET -- RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE REFUNDED OR APPLIED TOWARD PURCHASE OF NEW TICKET AT CURRENT FARE LEVELS ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARE / TAX COLLECTED/REFUNDED AT TIME OF TICKET EXCHANGE. -- TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED WHEN ANY VOLUNTARY CHANGE IS MADE. . 1. WHOLLY UNUSED TICKETS - CHANGES TO ORIGINATING FLIGHT - -- TAG 5--REPRICE USING CURRENT QUALIFYING FARES IN EFFECT TODAY. -- NO CHARGE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ONLY CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS. ONLY CHARGE ONE FEE FOR ONLY CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS IF CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS HAVE A FEE TO CHARGE. -- 1. ANY CARRIER FARES ARE USED 2. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT 3. TKT REISSUE RESTRICTED TO UA OR ANY CARRIER -- WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE -- -- REFUND RESIDUAL VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT ADD-COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE IF ANY // CHANGE FEE WHEN APPLICABLE -- AFTER DEPARTURE CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED. NOTE - --CALCULATE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FARE PAID AND QUALIFYING FARE FOR TRAVEL COMPLETE USING FARES OF ORIGINAL TICKET DATE / REFUND RESIDUAL VALUE IF ANY TO ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT. NOTE - - TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED WHEN ANY VOLUNTARY CHANGE IS MADE. . ---- WHEN REFUNDABLE FARES ARE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS WITH PENALTY OR RESTRICTED FARES TO FORM A RT/CT/OJ ITINERARY THE MOST RESTRICTIVE PROVISIONS WILL APPLY. EXCEPTION - FARES COMBINED END-ON-END ON THE TICKET//IE FARES THAT COULD STAND ALONE IF ISSUED ON A SEPARATE TICKET// MAY BE CHANGED SEPARATELY. CHANGES BEFORE DEPARTURE CHANGES PERMITTED. NOTE - -- ------------------------------- -- BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVOSIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES. -- NO CHARGE -- OR HIGHEST FEE OF ONLY CHANGED FARE COMPONENT/S/ WITHIN JOURNEY. -- ONLY ONE FEE IS CHARGED FOR CHANGED FARE COMPONENT/S/ IF FARE RULE NOTES CHANGE FEE. -- TAG 1 - DOWNLINE DATE / FLIGHT CHANGE SAME BOOKING CODE / KEEP THE FARE -- REPRICE USING CURRENTLY TICKETED/HISTORICAL FARE-- PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET - -- 1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON/FARE BREAKS 2. ALL TRAVEL REMAINS DOMESTIC 3. SAME UA FARE USED 4. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 5. VALIDATE ADVANCE RES/TICKETING FROM ORIGINAL TICKET DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT 6. TKT REISSUE RESTRICTED TO UA OR ANY CARRIER -- WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE-- -- REFUND RESIDUAL VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT ADD-COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE IF ANY / CHANGE FEE WHEN APPLICABLE -- ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW ENDORSEMENTS. -- TAG 10 -- FARE BREAKS PERMITTED A. CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS USE FARE IN EFFECT TODAY. B. ALL OTHERS USE CURRENTLY TKTD FARES. PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET - 1. ANY CARRIER FARES ARE USED 2. TRAVEL IS DOMESTIC 3. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 4. ADVANCE RES IS MEASURED FROM NEW TKT ISSUED DATE IF CURRENT FARES/FROM PREVIOUS TKT ISSUE DATE IF HISTORICAL FARES TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT 5. TKT REISSUE RESTRICTED TO UA OR ANY CARRIER -- WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE-- -- REFUND RESIDUAL VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT ADD-COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE IF ANY // CHANGE FEE WHEN APPLICABLE -- ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW ENDORSEMENTS. -- -------------------------------- AFTER DEPARTURE CHANGES PERMITTED. NOTE - -- AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES. -- NO CHARGE -- OR HIGHEST FEE OF ANY CHANGED FARE COMPONENT WITHIN JOURNEY - --ONLY ONE CHANGE FEE CHARGED FOR CHANGED FARE COMPONENT/S/ ONLY IF FARE RULE NOTES A CHANGE FEE IS TO BE CHARGED FOR CHANGE. -- TAG 1 - REPRICE USING CURRENLTY TICKETED / HISTORICAL FARES. DOWNLINE DATE / FLIGHT CHANGE SAME BOOKING CODE / KEEP THE FARE -- PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS 2. ALL TRAVEL REMAINS DOMESTIC 3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT 4. UA FARES ARE USED 5. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT 7. TKT REISSUE RESTRICTED TO UA OR ANY CARRIER -- TAG 9 -- FARE BREAK CHANGE PERMITTED -- A. FULLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS USE FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED B. ALL OTHERS USE FARES IN EFFECT TODAY PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS OF FULLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS 2. ALL TRAVEL REMAINS DOMESTIC 4. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT 5. UA FARES ARE USED 6. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 7. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE IF CURRENT FARES ARE USED/FROM PREVIOUS TKT DATE IF HISTORICAL FARES TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT 9. TKT REISSUE RESDTRICTED UA UA OR ANY CARRIER -- OR - -- TAG10 - FARE BREAK CHANGE PERMITTED A. CHANGED FARE COMPONENETS USE FARE IN EFFECT TODAY. B. ALL OTHERS USE CURRENTLY TKTD FARE. PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS UP TO THE FIRST CHANGED FARE COMPONENT 2. ALL TRAVEL REMAINS DOMESTIC 3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT 4. ANY CARRIER FARES ARE USED 5. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM NEW TKT ISSUE DATE IF CURRENT FARES/FROM PREVIOUS TKT ISSUE DATE IF HISTORICAL FARES TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT 7. TKT REISSUE RESTRICTED TO UA OR ANY CARRIER -- -- WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE -- -- REFUND RESIDUAL VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT ADD COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE IF ANY // CHANGE FEE WHEN APPLICABLE -- ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW ENDORSEMENTS
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:58 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Stupid question: Is a refundable ticket a "Flexible" ticket? ie: a LAX-LAS Economy Flexible is the one I want, right?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by caverunner17
Stupid question: Is a refundable ticket a "Flexible" ticket? ie: a LAX-LAS Economy Flexible is the one I want, right?
Not always, but domestically the "flexible" option should be fully refundable and changeable. Never hurts to read the fare rules, but that is a bit of a pain.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:05 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

A tale of two "refundable" fares, What does refundable mean?

I checked some fares today for UA and AA in May. I think there is some sort of sale on.

Both UA and AA were ~$3300 round trip (curiously, SFO was way more expensive). But the AA fare said it was refundable! UA of course was not.

Is this the new reality, that AA offers way better terms than UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.