Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
During the COVID period, change fees are waived for many tickets
Sept 2020 - Change Fees Are Gone For Good
There won’t be any change fees if:
You’re traveling:
  • Within the U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico
  • Between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean
  • To other international destinations from the U.S.
You have these types of tickets:
  • Economy
  • Economy Plus®
  • United First®
  • United Business®*
  • United Premium PlusSM*
You can change Basic Economy and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by March 31, 2021.
UA's definitions -- in red added editorial comments
Basic Economy (most restricted) ---- Our most restricted fare:Seat assigned prior to boarding
No group or family seating
No carry-on bag, just a personal item
Earn award miles only, no Premier® qualifying credit
Upgrades and Economy Plus® are not available
No refunds or changes

Economy ---- Our standard Economy fare:Seat selection at booking, if seats are available
Enjoy other options for customizing your travel
Non-refundable -- fee to change*, credit toward future flight

Economy (flexible) ---- Our flexible Economy fare:Refundable fare; cancellation and change* fees may apply
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

Economy (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted Economy fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

First (lowest) ---- Our lowest fare in First:Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
Non-refundable -- a fee to change*, credit toward a future flight

First (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted First fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees.
Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
*Most change fees have been eliminated

Refundability
o Some tickets are refundable but with a change / cancellation fee
o In the fare rules, words like "CHANGES PERMITTED" or "CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED" indicate refundability

Note: For a ticket with multiple segments and different fares classes / fare rules, the most restrictive applies to the entire ticket. So a single non-refundable segment makes the entire ticket non-refundable.

related thread -- How to book a refundable ticket on UA

Print Wikipost

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
To answer the OP's question is that there is no hard or fast rule. There are surprises. I've had Q fares that are fully refundable, and recently I got a super weird fare with W and S components that I can cancel with something like a $200 fee. I've never seen anything that low that was cancellable altogether.

When you search not he website, select "advanced search" and then tick the box for "Unrestricted Fare". When you get your itinerary build you can click on "Rules and Restrictions" before purchase. You fill out a CAPTCHA and that should take you to the actual fare rules…look at the "Refunds/Change" section.

I'm afraid there's no other easy way without using a commercial service like ExpertFlyer to see the rules. But you're right, usually Y and B fares are what you're looking for.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by astroflyer
When you search not he website, select "advanced search" and then tick the box for "Unrestricted Fare".
You generally want "Flexible Fare". There's rarely a reason to pay for "Unrestricted Fare" unless you just like paying more.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
You generally want "Flexible Fare". There's rarely a reason to pay for "Unrestricted Fare" unless you just like paying more.
Can't agree with you. I have recently faced the situation where I bought a "flexible fare" in C (it was not actually out of a C bucket, believe it was probably Z) and it turned out to be non-refundable and featured a $300 change fee. I am still sitting on some of the residual credit that resulted when I needed to cancel. The green check mark in the "refundable" box that you see under flexible fares is not to be trusted. You must read the fine print of each fare every time you purchase.

Also, there certainly are folks who want the highest priced Y they can get their hands on. I do. In spite of contract language expressly stating that I will fly business class, my primary client recently came to me and politely requested that I no longer do so, as even their executives no longer are allowed to do so. My compromise was that I would buy Y, print the receipt to attach to my expense report, and then promptly turn right around and have the rate desk escalate me to Z or D or C at my own expense. Higher the Y the less that comes out of my wallet.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
The green check mark in the "refundable" box that you see under flexible fares is not to be trusted. You must read the fine print of each fare every time you purchase.
I have learned this the hard way as well - and now sitting on three TCVA credits because of it... It's funny that to UA "refundable" means something very different than most of the world has come to understand...
Old May 2, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Last "flexible" ticket I bought, as I understood it, all it allowed you to do is pay the same exact change/cancle fee as the lowest available fare, but refund the airfare charge to the source of payment (say CC), as opposed to just getting a credit w/UA.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by astroflyer
To answer the OP's question is that there is no hard or fast rule. There are surprises. I've had Q fares that are fully refundable, and recently I got a super weird fare with W and S components that I can cancel with something like a $200 fee. I've never seen anything that low that was cancellable altogether.
I have an ex-India fare on UA where the change fee is 75 EUR and fully refundable with a 120 EUR fee. It's an L fare.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Can't agree with you. I have recently faced the situation where I bought a "flexible fare" in C (it was not actually out of a C bucket, believe it was probably Z) and it turned out to be non-refundable and featured a $300 change fee. I am still sitting on some of the residual credit that resulted when I needed to cancel. The green check mark in the "refundable" box that you see under flexible fares is not to be trusted. You must read the fine print of each fare every time you purchase.
OK, good to know. But it doesn't change my advice: users who want the lowest refundable fare should start by searching for "Flexible fare", not "Unrestricted fare", otherwise they will often end up paying much more than they need to.

Also, there certainly are folks who want the highest priced Y they can get their hands on.
That's exactly what I said.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
OK, good to know. But it doesn't change my advice: users who want the lowest refundable fare should start by searching for "Flexible fare", not "Unrestricted fare", otherwise they will often end up paying much more than they need to.
Very true, starting at unrestricted would exclude some potentially refundable flexible fares. I think it's just crappy that United projects that all flexible fares are fully refundable, and they most certainly are not. So it's just a buyer beware type of thing.

That's exactly what I said.
Well, you said if people just "like" spending extra money, as if they must be crazy or stupid. It's not about fattening Jeff's wallet, I can tell you that. I don't "like" spending more on full Y or whatever but there's an advantage to doing so in many different scenarios.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Well, you said if people just "like" spending extra money, as if they must be crazy or stupid.
I didn't say their reasons for liking to pay more must be crazy or stupid. You're just imagining that. Yes, there are people (although many fewer than there used to be) who deliberately want to pay more for their tickets. They like that result more than a cheaper fare. That's exactly what I wrote.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: Continental
Just checking- Refundable fare- correct?

City Pairs Fare Class Fare Basis Code
SFO - EWR E EAA00TGY
Fare Basis Code EAA00TGY
Sales and Restrictions GENERAL RULES TEXT
TICKETS MAY BE ISSUED BY MAIL.
AND - TICKETS MAY BE ISSUED BY PTA. PTA CONSTITUTES
TICKETING.
TICKETS MAY NOT BE SOLD IN VENEZUELA.
TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 1/AREA 2/AREA 3.
NOTE -
FOR ITINERARIES SOLD OUTSIDE OF VE - CREDIT CARDS
ISSUED IN VE ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
----------------------
EXTENSION OF TICKET VALIDITY PERMITTED UNDER
GUIDELINES SET FORTH BY CARRIER. CONTACT
CARRIER FOR DETAILS.
Refunds/Change GENERAL RULES TEXT
CANCELLATIONS
BEFORE DEPARTURE
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED.
NOTE -
-- EXCHANGE - CHANGE TO 1ST TICKETED FLIGHT /
WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET
--
RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE REFUNDED OR APPLIED
TOWARD PURCHASE OF NEW TICKET AT CURRENT
FARE LEVELS ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARE / TAX
COLLECTED/REFUNDED AT TIME OF TICKET EXCHANGE.
--
TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED WHEN ANY VOLUNTARY
CHANGE IS MADE.
1. WHOLLY UNUSED TICKETS -
CHANGES TO ORIGINATING FLIGHT -
--
TAG 5--REPRICE USING CURRENT QUALIFYING
FARES IN EFFECT TODAY.
--
NO CHARGE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ONLY CHANGED
FARE COMPONENTS. ONLY CHARGE ONE FEE FOR ONLY
CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS IF CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS
HAVE A FEE TO CHARGE.
--
1. ANY CARRIER FARES ARE USED
Rules and Restrictions
Rules and Restrictions | United Airlines https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ght/rules.aspx
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just checking- Refundable fare- correct?

Looks refundable to me - without any fee (there are refundable tickets which charge a fee with the balance refunded). Note if this is being combined with another segment on a different fare (i.e., SFO-EWR-YYY) on the same ticket, the most restrictive rules usually apply to the entire ticket.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Although there are always trade-offs, I'd recommend booking this as a one way itinerary to preserve the refund-ability of the fare class. As emcampbe mentioned, if you combine this with anything else, the rules will change to the most restrictive conditions.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: Continental
Thanks. That is what I was planning to do. Right now it is a 767-400er, and if they change the plane, I can cancel the ticket and switch to something else.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:54 pm

timeframe in which to get a refund on a refundable ticket

if i have a refundable ticket on UA and end up not needing it :

1. when is the last possible moment i can submit a claim for the refund? i.e. if my flight is scheduled to leave at 7pm, can i submit my claim at 6:59pm?

2. can such submissions be made online, or must i call UA?

i searched the UA site for this info and could not find a clear answer.

thanks for your help!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:00 pm

The reservation and the ticket are separate.

You should probably request a refund of the ticket no later than one year after the travel date.

Re: the reservation, it's polite to cancel the reservation in advance of travel and in some cases the fare rules require it if you'd like a refund.

If the fare rules say "no-show permitted with no penalty", you don't even need to cancel in advance of departure (let alone request a refund).

If the fare rules say "no-show rules: ticket has no value if cancelled after departure", you should cancel the reservation before flight departure.

In principle you could cancel a reservation for a 7:00pm flight at 6:59 pm and it would count as "before departure", but in practice I wouldn't count on being able to be that precise … be polite, cancel as soon as you know you won't need the reservation, and expect to have some trouble within say 30 min of departure time.

You'll need to read the fare rules you got originally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.