Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
During the COVID period, change fees are waived for many tickets
Sept 2020 - Change Fees Are Gone For Good
There won’t be any change fees if:
You’re traveling:
  • Within the U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico
  • Between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean
  • To other international destinations from the U.S.
You have these types of tickets:
  • Economy
  • Economy Plus®
  • United First®
  • United Business®*
  • United Premium PlusSM*
You can change Basic Economy and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by March 31, 2021.
UA's definitions -- in red added editorial comments
Basic Economy (most restricted) ---- Our most restricted fare:Seat assigned prior to boarding
No group or family seating
No carry-on bag, just a personal item
Earn award miles only, no Premier® qualifying credit
Upgrades and Economy Plus® are not available
No refunds or changes

Economy ---- Our standard Economy fare:Seat selection at booking, if seats are available
Enjoy other options for customizing your travel
Non-refundable -- fee to change*, credit toward future flight

Economy (flexible) ---- Our flexible Economy fare:Refundable fare; cancellation and change* fees may apply
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

Economy (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted Economy fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

First (lowest) ---- Our lowest fare in First:Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
Non-refundable -- a fee to change*, credit toward a future flight

First (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted First fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees.
Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
*Most change fees have been eliminated

Refundability
o Some tickets are refundable but with a change / cancellation fee
o In the fare rules, words like "CHANGES PERMITTED" or "CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED" indicate refundability

Note: For a ticket with multiple segments and different fares classes / fare rules, the most restrictive applies to the entire ticket. So a single non-refundable segment makes the entire ticket non-refundable.

related thread -- How to book a refundable ticket on UA

Print Wikipost

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nothing ever replaces reading the exact fare rules for the specific ticket which you are considering. These can change within fare groups and often by country of issue.

Unrestricted really does mean unrestricted. Flexible will mean something short of that. Perhaps you can make a change, but not a refund. Sometimes it means that you can obtain a refund, but there is a fee or a deadline by which the cancellation musy be made.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by Often1
Unrestricted really does mean unrestricted. Flexible will mean something short of that. Perhaps you can make a change, but not a refund. Sometimes it means that you can obtain a refund, but there is a fee or a deadline by which the cancellation musy be made.
That's how I thought it went -- flexible you can change and all that jazz, but you can't cancel for a full refund, whereas unrestricted (to me) means fully refundable, etc. with no catches/fees, hence the often-large price differential.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LHCVG
That's how I thought it went -- flexible you can change and all that jazz, but you can't cancel for a full refund, whereas unrestricted (to me) means fully refundable, etc. with no catches/fees, hence the often-large price differential.
Generally, the UA flexible fares are refundable.

They do require advance purchase, so late changes can result in an add collect.
PeterK likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by channa
Generally, the UA flexible fares are refundable.

They do require advance purchase, so late changes can result in an add collect.
Thanks for the correction! Makes sense now that you mention it that a flex fare is refundable but unrestricted would add the walk-up/last-minute change or cancellation fee waiver.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LHCVG
Thanks for the correction! Makes sense now that you mention it that a flex fare is refundable but unrestricted would add the walk-up/last-minute change or cancellation fee waiver.
They both typically have no change fee, but last minute, if you're changing a 21-day advance flexible ticket, you won't be at 21 days out so you will no longer qualify for your original fare. So while there would be no change fee, there likely would be an increase in fare to charge.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by channa
They both typically have no change fee, but last minute, if you're changing a 21-day advance flexible ticket, you won't be at 21 days out so you will no longer qualify for your original fare. So while there would be no change fee, there likely would be an increase in fare to charge.
Gotcha...I always forget the double whammy of the change FEE plus the charged for the fare difference! I guess in some cases (maybe a lot) that would make up the difference if you did have to change it later.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Please, please, please read the specific fare rules for the specific ticket you are considering. All of this is general advice about how things usually work. But, that doesn't help you if it isn't.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Every fare sold as a "Flexible fare" on united.com is always refundable, so fees aren't really an issue, as you can refund it and buy something else, if the fare bucket you want is available. UA will try to upsell you to an "Unrestricted fare" over your "Flexible fare", but generally it doesn't make sense. You can pay the difference later if you need to switch, rather than paying in advance for no reason.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold; SWA Rapid Rewards
Is Y or B fare class fully refundable?

If I purchase a full fare economy ticket (Y or B fare class) for travel between ABQ and LHR, is that ticket fully refundable? If so, for how long after purchase is it refundable?

Tried searching the UA site to no avail. Thanks for your help.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1NMFlyer
If I purchase a full fare economy ticket (Y or B fare class) for travel between ABQ and LHR, is that ticket fully refundable? If so, for how long after purchase is it refundable?

Tried searching the UA site to no avail. Thanks for your help.
It depends.

The fares I just looked at, the B had a $300 cancellation fee, the Y was fully refundable.

You would have to cancel before departure. No-shows are never a good idea on any fare.

You can always check the fare rules by doing a dummy booking and clicking the link for "View Rules and Restrictions."
Old May 1, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold; SWA Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Kacee
It depends.

The fares I just looked at, the B had a $300 cancellation fee, the Y was fully refundable.

You would have to cancel before departure. No-shows are never a good idea on any fare.

You can always check the fare rules by doing a dummy booking and clicking the link for "View Rules and Restrictions."
Thanks for the quick and helpful response. The dummy booking is a great idea. Won't ever no-show a ticket.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Most B and M fares are refundable, but some aren't. You can search for refundable fares on united.com, and you can search for specific fare classes, but there's no easy way to do both (e.g., search only for refundable M fares). You may have to check the fare rules. The final purchase page (after choosing seats, etc.) will say "This fare is refundable" before you submit payment.

UA does give refunds on refundable fares even when I no-show (without checking in). But obviously it's better to cancel before departure if you can.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
If you have a true refundable fare you can definitely no-show and collect your refund later. I have done this numerous times, with and without checking in, and never had a problem.

It's a great way to self manage IRROPS.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kenn0223
If you have a true refundable fare you can definitely no-show and collect your refund later. I have done this numerous times, with and without checking in, and never had a problem.

It's a great way to self manage IRROPS.
I've no showed as well and never lost a ticket.

I just wouldn't advise it. Who knows when some uptight agent decides to enforce the fare rule which says it's only refundable prior to scheduled departure.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Who knows when some uptight agent decides to enforce the fare rule which says it's only refundable prior to scheduled departure.
The fare rule doesn't say that. Generally it says

AFTER DEPARTURE
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED.

Still, this is ambiguous enough that I wouldn't want to have to argue about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.