Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What to Expect in UA Business Class to CUN/Cancun (seat, lounge, meals, amenities,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to Expect in UA Business Class to CUN/Cancun (seat, lounge, meals, amenities,..)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Correct. Domestic F and short-haul int'l F or C are the same.
I've never understood this...the product is called First Class domestically, but the minute it goes into international airspace, the exact same product is called Business Class. I get that it's a marketing thing, but why? Does that delineation really make a difference to someone (or some group)?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
I've never understood this...the product is called First Class domestically, but the minute it goes into international airspace, the exact same product is called Business Class. I get that it's a marketing thing, but why? Does that delineation really make a difference to someone (or some group)?
Yes, it makes a difference to the airline, because it stops pax from arguing they should be admitted into international first class lounges.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Blue
United First and United Business - Any Difference?

I am looking to fly to Cancun and see the business class fare is not much different from economy (short notice). Now, when I look for flights from LAS-CUN United gives me different flights, with different cabin options. Some flights have United First, and some have United Business, separately. All P class, and the same price.

What, if any, is the difference?

And I don't suppose lounge access is included as I'm going to Mexico?

Thank you.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Typically "First" is used domestically and "Business" internationally, but we've seen a couple posts lately with UA being sloppy.

No difference for the flight to CUN. Mexico is international and gets lounge access for premium cabins.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Just note that on your return, there isn't a club to use in Cancun regardless of * A status or United Club. To me, not a big deal as the airport is actually kind of nice, but just a FYI.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Blue
McDuell and Cospilot thanks for your help, greatly appreciated! In the end I had to fly economy, as I left it too late to get that flight (my friend told me to wait before booking), and by the time I decided to buy the ticket, that flight was not available any more (sold out)....

At LAS they offered me $300 if I would offload myself for my LA flight. They needed 10 people originally, and then in the end once they knew how many people were on the flight, they only needed 1, so I didn't get anything.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Confused by First/Business/Polaris EWR-CUN

Hi,

booking a EWR-Cancun round trip in what I thought was (domestic) first as the hard product looks the same I noticed that it was actually a business fare.
as it is international business will I have access to a lounge on both ends (United doesn’t show a Cancun lounge) and would the “international business” ticket get me into the EWR Polaris lounge?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
No Polaris

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html

United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to these South American destinations: Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, Săo Paulo and Santiago. All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"United Business" is the standard marketing term for front cabin between US and latin america. It is the same as normal domestic F service. You will have access to the United Club at EWR. There is no lounge at CUN.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's all marketing hype.

F/J (C) are the same product. The meal for international may be a bit upgraded, but nothing to focus on.
Polaris is a designator for specific routes and meets specific service standards. Nothing southbound from the US.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Polaris is a designator for specific routes and meets specific service standards. Nothing southbound from the US.
Numerous South America routes are Polaris, including GRU, EZE, GIG, SCL, and LIM.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by blitzen
will I have access to a lounge on both ends (United doesn’t show a Cancun lounge)
You will have lounge access in EWR, but no lounge in CUN unless you are PP! I go to CUN often, and there's only a Mera lounge in terminal 3 (but that lounge is still worth a visit if a member, NEVER to pay for)... And according to other discussions, there are legit reasons why UA won't open a UC at CUN, let alone partnering with the T3 lounge to grant FC folks shelter from the terminal chaos like other airlines have *cough* Air France *cough*

Originally Posted by blitzen
would the “international business” ticket get me into the EWR Polaris lounge?
I wish it were possible, but only seats booked in Polaris business class are permitted entry

Either way, have a good flight! The crews are usually great going down there.
blitzen likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MrGood
You will have lounge access in EWR, but no lounge in CUN unless you are PP! I go to CUN often, and there's only a Mera lounge in terminal 3 (but that lounge is still worth a visit if a member, NEVER to pay for)... And according to other discussions, there are legit reasons why UA won't open a UC at CUN, let alone partnering with the T3 lounge to grant FC folks shelter from the terminal chaos like other airlines have *cough* Air France *cough*

I wish it were possible, but only seats booked in Polaris business class are permitted entry

Either way, have a good flight! The crews are usually great going down there.
Have PP so a lounge on the way back is not a problem (actually have so many PP cards have to figure out which one is which .... some might be now invalid and others change for the 2nd person .... oh well still one month time). Not too concerned about Polaris lounge as what I need for an early morning flight is mostly coffee anyway
MrGood likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Any thoughts that UA will offer Polaris Class on some of these slightly shorter flights for instance flights into Ecuador and CUN? Seems like that might be down the road.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 9, 2019 at 4:34 pm Reason: Moved to CUN thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.