Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jfkcnf
ticket involved pek-syd-pek in J. funny that Y isnt even an option here
A 12-hour flight....
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: -
Originally Posted by alex_b
Did you file a DOT complaint?
Ticket didn't involve the US, so nothing they can do.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EX-Plat ** , UA 1K, IHG platinum
Update****. I did not have any glitches on my trip!. 4 segments in Biz (family of 4) on CA including IAH-PEK. & PEK-IAH. Everything went well. I wouldn't book with CA again though, just for the fact -- amount of stress and uncertainty toll--
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by IAHUArunner
Update****. I did not have any glitches on my trip!. 4 segments in Biz (family of 4) on CA including IAH-PEK. & PEK-IAH. Everything went well. I wouldn't book with CA again though, just for the fact -- amount of stress and uncertainty toll--
Glad to hear, I must still wait...
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Glad to hear, I must still wait...
+1
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
This feels a bit related, so I'm bringing it up here.

I've had a CA reservation since right before the devaluation in F. I've been checking on the reservation periodically on United.com and seen that everything looks fine, no cancellations, no "please call United" to resync your ticket, etc.

This morning, I gave Air China a call to confirm a vegetarian meal for my flight. The agent over there told me I "don't have a reservation" and that I should call United. I called the 1K desk, who then called Air China to get the same story.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
.... This morning, I gave Air China a call to confirm a vegetarian meal for my flight. The agent over there told me I "don't have a reservation" and that I should call United. I called the 1K desk, who then called Air China to get the same story.
and ......
Assume there is more to this tale....
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:01 pm

I've had a CA reservation since right before the devaluation in F. I've been checking on the reservation periodically on United.com and seen that everything looks fine, no cancellations, no "please call United" to resync your ticket, etc.

This morning, I gave Air China a call to confirm a vegetarian meal for my flight. The agent over there told me I "don't have a reservation" and that I should call United. I called the 1K desk, who then called Air China to get the same story.
Please provide more information: Where was your flight to/from. Did you have a CA reservation number? Did you have a seat assignment from them? Had you talked to their reservations before? Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D

Sounds to me that your seat was never confirmed by CA. CA award seats booked through UA are notoriously problematic if not confirm with CA immediately after ticketing by UA.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by 747FC
Please provide more information: Where was your flight to/from. Did you have a CA reservation number? Did you have a seat assignment from them? Had you talked to their reservations before? Thanks.
LAX-PEK(F)-TPE(J).

I had not interacted with their reservations office before (to do seat assignments, etc.).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:29 pm

LAX-PEK(F)-TPE(J).

I had not interacted with their reservations office before (to do seat assignments, etc.).
Thanks for the update. Sorry for the issues that you have been dealing with. Did you ever have a Booking number issued by them?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also made a CA domestic PEK-KWL reservation today and it had delayed ticketing. I tried to search UA forum to see how long it takes to issue award ticket on CA flight and found this thread.

Any more new cases on this issue?

We have IAH-PEK in Sept. I have been periodically checking the e-Tickets on Saudi's site using the ticket numbers. So far they are all good. Because the delayed ticketing on the PEK-KWL I decided to call CA on the status on both reservations.

Agent in US office confirmed the IAH-PEK was all good. However for unknown reason our previous seat assignment of 1A and 2A are not showing. She put us in 1L and 2L while we were on the phone. She was not able to look up the fresh reservation just by the date of travel and passenger name. Luckily in the interim UA system issued the tickets so I gave her the ticket numbers. She then was able to see it, gave me the corresponding Air China PNR. UA system had already assigned 18A and B so I left it at that for the time being.

I agree that booking CA is stressful and if one could avoid it, should avoid it. Finger crossed for our upcoming Sept flight.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Happy
I also made a CA domestic PEK-KWL reservation today and it had delayed ticketing. I tried to search UA forum to see how long it takes to issue award ticket on CA flight and found this thread.

Any more new cases on this issue?

We have IAH-PEK in Sept. I have been periodically checking the e-Tickets on Saudi's site using the ticket numbers. So far they are all good. Because the delayed ticketing on the PEK-KWL I decided to call CA on the status on both reservations.

Agent in US office confirmed the IAH-PEK was all good. However for unknown reason our previous seat assignment of 1A and 2A are not showing. She put us in 1L and 2L while we were on the phone. She was not able to look up the fresh reservation just by the date of travel and passenger name. Luckily in the interim UA system issued the tickets so I gave her the ticket numbers. She then was able to see it, gave me the corresponding Air China PNR. UA system had already assigned 18A and B so I left it at that for the time being.

I agree that booking CA is stressful and if one could avoid it, should avoid it. Finger crossed for our upcoming Sept flight.
Feeling you! I have a printout with both confirmation numbers plus ticket number, just in case (as if it'll make any difference if it goes byebye!). Might call again to re-verify seats chosen over a month ago...
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Million Miler; UA-1K; Hilton Lifetime Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; SPG Platinum
The Unfortunate Might Have Happened

Ever since I booked 2 business class tickets back in April 2014 for December 2014 from Mandalay to Houston (MDL-BKK Thai; BKK-PEK Thai; PEK-IAH Air China), I have been waiting for my PEK-IAH to mysteriously cancel. It looks like it might have.

Today, on my UA account, I see my reservation but instead of saying Mandalay-Houston, it now says Mandalay-Beijing and when I click on it there is an Error and tells me to call customer service.

I am planning to call UA later and asking them what happened but I'm afraid the standard answer will be not sure, don't know, too bad, so sad.

I never got any emails from anyone saying that leg was cancelled. I think I have some advice for UA - implement tighter security and stop screwing your elite members or end the alliance with Air China altogether.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This may just be because the Air China flight to Houston is down to 5 days a week this winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.