Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to Start LAX-MEL (787-9) Service, Effective 26-Oct-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JOSECONLSCREW28
LAX-MEL on the new 787-9, 6x weekly

SYD-MEL-SYD tag-on is being dropped.

The 789 is sCO, delivery expected in the summer.

UA options to Australia will now be:

SFO-SYD - 3-class sUA 777
LAX-SYD - 3-class sUA 777
LAX-MEL - sCO 2-class 789 with 48J/88Y+/116Y 252 seats total
GUM-CNS - sCO 2-class 738 (2x per week)

LAX - MEL schedule:

98 LAX - MEL (will not operate on Tuesdays)
10:30p 9:15a+2 1545 (Except Thursday)
9:30p 8:15a+2 1545 (Thursdays Only)
(Operated by a 789 on Sundays, Thursdays, & Saturdays)
(Operated by a 788 on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays)

99 MEL - LAX (will not operate on Thursdays)
11:15a 6:50a 1435 (Except Saturday)
3:15p 10:50a 1435 (Saturdays Only)
(Operated by a 789 on Mondays, Tuesdays, & Saturdays)
(Operated by a 788 on Sundays, Wednesdays, & Fridays)
Print Wikipost

UA to Start LAX-MEL (787-9) Service, Effective 26-Oct-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:28 pm

I flew the CO in FC once LAX-HNL-FIJI-SYD on a DC10...

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Are you really being serious?

So all the oneworld passengers who would be flying out of SFO now connect through Dallas to fly to Oz?

I'll stick with the pretty obvious conclusion that QF didn't see enough of a market for flights out of SFO to Oz. And neither did UA see enough to base the 789 for MEL out of SFO.

I think you are forgetting the 747SP, which was launched in 1978, over a decade before the 747-400 started service.
And the UA 747SP on UA after they got the aircrafts from PA...the bathroom wall trims still had the Braniff orange. Funny anecdote : the FC FA offered me a Chinese WSJ...I went huh ? She then come out with the HKG printed issue of the paper. Totally friendly matron from domestic lines...Even pinched me on the cheek, joking with me. ( no, I did not take offense...I was way older than I looked )
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So all the oneworld passengers who would be flying out of SFO now connect through Dallas to fly to Oz?
Of course not - they connect via the AA hub in LAX. Those headed to/from the center/east of the US can connect at the AA hub in LAX, or the AA mega-hub in DFW.

Flying long-haul to locations where you have sufficient connecting flights is core to the hub-spoke model. QF flying into SFO never gave them that, so it's not surprising that they pulled out of the market.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by deltaflyer08
Agreed, the lounges in the US are basically a laughable joke when compared to any lounge somewhere else.
Spoken by someone who has clearly never been in the Copa Club.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
Of course not - they connect via the AA hub in LAX. Those headed to/from the center/east of the US can connect at the AA hub in LAX, or the AA mega-hub in DFW.

Flying long-haul to locations where you have sufficient connecting flights is core to the hub-spoke model. QF flying into SFO never gave them that, so it's not surprising that they pulled out of the market.
QF had stopped service to SFO for 11-years. They restarted it, loads and yields weren't where they wanted them, so they pulled out.

Even UA announced its SFO-SYD service on a 744 wasn't performing well.

Bottom line is that SFO is not as attractive a destination for Australia traffic as LAX is.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
QF had stopped service to SFO for 11-years. They restarted it, loads and yields weren't where they wanted them, so they pulled out.

Even UA announced its SFO-SYD service on a 744 wasn't performing well.

Bottom line is that SFO is not as attractive a destination for Australia traffic as LAX is.
The Brits and Aussies have always had a predilection for LA over SF.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Wow, yeah, grabbing numbers from seatguru:
sUA 777: 92 Y+/105 Y
sCO 777: 72 Y+/145 Y
787-900: 63 Y+/141 Y.
At least the BF (48 seats) > coach ratio holds up reasonably well.

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Connecting in LAX - blech.
I'll take LAX connections anyday over the SFO-weather-delayed nailbiters resulting in missed flights, lost u/gs etc.

Originally Posted by debracey

Those of us who have to come all the way to the east coast after a trip down under have one option: QF to Dallas. All the other options via LAX and SFO yield long layovers and multi-stops.

Thumbs Down UA.
Like those from the West Coast who have to make it TATL thru the East Coast hubs .... safe for a couple of LHR and FRA n/s.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g

Like those from the West Coast who have to make it TATL thru the East Coast hubs .... safe for a couple of LHR and FRA n/s.
Yeah, and connecting through SFO or LAX, New Yorkers can still get an international quality seat on ps, with excellent flight frequency. Much better than what we get connecting through ORD/EWR/IAD or even IAH.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah, and connecting through SFO or LAX, New Yorkers can still get an international quality seat on ps, with excellent flight frequency. Much better than what we get connecting through ORD/EWR/IAD or even IAH.
Absolutely: try to get on a UA TATL flight out of JFK ....

Slightly OT: currently there are a couple of sCO 757 BF flights EWR-LAX and for you Kacee indeed one sCO 764 IAD-SFO. Given the small 16 seat BF cabins on the 757 lower fare business and upgradeable coach seats are hard to come by. Worse case for RPUs and worst for CPUs.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: United 1MM
I'll take LAX connections anyday over the SFO-weather-delayed nailbiters resulting in missed flights, lost u/gs etc.
Agreed. I once did SYD-OAK-SFO. Yep, that's right. We got diverted to Oakland, and then we sat there for an hour or 90 minutes, then flew from Oakland to SFO.

As for what someone else said above. I found loads lower on the SYD-SFO route than SYD-LAX (in agreement with QF's experience). I average 2.7 AU-US roundtrips per year so I've seen a decent sample size. In E+, I had more empty seats next to me going to/from SFO than with LAX. No doubt!

Looking forward to MEL-LAX and hopefully same or lower prices to what MEL-SYD-SFO/LAX are now.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by unavaca
SFO-SYD-MEL or SFO-LAX-MEL is still one-stop no matter how you slice it. For spoke cities, Spoke-LAX-MEL beats Spoke-SFO-SYD-MEL any day of the week.
Not necessarily. If the spoke city is, say, Seattle, you have MEL-LAX-SFO-spoke vs MEL-SYD-SFO-spoke and the latter is a vastly better option. (oh, yes, LAX-SEA is sometimes available, either a crappy "express" flight with no first class or wait until the 4pm mainline departure, a mere 9 hours after you arrive!)

Originally Posted by Cbmaz
You can still fly non stop SFOSYD and grab one of the QF flights that fly from SYD to MEL every 15 to 30 minutes or so if you choose.
Appalling suggestion. UA/UA at SYD is easy and all international. UA/QF at SYD is a circus, requiring catching a bus to the domestic terminal.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Another HUGE reason UA would chose LAX and not SFO - cargo lift!

In 2013 LAX saw over 1,000,000 +/- metric tons of cargo, SFO under 400,000+/-.
This is, sadly, probably the important point!

Originally Posted by mjg59
I've never seen SYD-MEL anywhere near full enough that it'd be a full 787-9, so it'll be interesting to see whether having a non-stop is attractive enough to pull more people away from Qantas or Delta.
There are times when it gets near full. Try the week before the Australian Open for example. (No, not common, just saying it can happen.)

Originally Posted by spin88
Most passengers at the Aussi side are tied into QFs program so it will be hard to siphon off those folks, and both AA and DAL fliers are tied into respectively the QF and Virgin flights.
Much as we might think so, no, most people who notice FF programmes at all at the Aussie side are tied into QF's (lousy) programme. That's probably not "most people". There are an amazing number who don't know or care about such things and simply buy whatever is cheapest or whatever their travel agent gives them or whatever their company books for them. Siphoning off those folks is really easy.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Tremendous saver business class space on UA 98/99 right now!
Yes, a nice way to use US Airways miles. US could see them but not book them in the first day, but can book them now.

I've seldom had any problems and always tried to travel via SFO when possible. Nicer airport. Most important reason why 3/4 of my UA trips have been via SFO and not LAX -- and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it -- Showers. Arrivals Lounge. LAX, dirty crap hole that it is, doesn't have one.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
I've seldom had any problems and always tried to travel via SFO when possible. Nicer airport. Most important reason why 3/4 of my UA trips have been via SFO and not LAX -- and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it -- Showers. Arrivals Lounge. LAX, dirty crap hole that it is, doesn't have one.
If your final destination is SFO, and you're on a long-haul, you may not have noticed the weather delays. But if you are connecting into or out of SFO domestic, it is far more prone to weather delays than LAX. In the foggy summer months, or rainy winter months, the rolling delays can be really bad. SFO is consistently ranked as one of the worst US airports for delays.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
But if you are connecting into or out of SFO domestic, it is far more prone to weather delays than LAX.
I've heard these stories, but not experienced them. To compared just one destination: 11% (2 of 19) of my SFO-SEA flights have arrived more than 30 mins late. For LAX-SEA, it's 38%!

Even if the supposedly common delays did happen to me, we're talking about a roughly 24 hour trip overall. When I have been forced to fly into LAX, I've flown LAX-DEN-SEA a couple of times just to spend less time in LAX. I don't actually care about a delay, so long as I'm comfortable. An arrivals lounge and a shower is more valuable to me than a delay of several hours.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
But if you are connecting into or out of SFO domestic, it is far more prone to weather delays than LAX. In the foggy summer months, or rainy winter months, the rolling delays can be really bad. SFO is consistently ranked as one of the worst US airports for delays.
Changes have been made at SFO regarding fog, and they are now able to use both parallel runways during (most) foggy conditions. Capacity is still reduced, but not to the approx half that it was previously. Bad rain can still cause issues, but we've had like 1 days rain in the Bay Area in the past year or so, so that hasn't been a problem recently...

However with two runways closed due to construction from May to September this year, SFO could be a great place to avoid for a few months...
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by docbert
Changes have been made at SFO regarding fog, and they are now able to use both parallel runways during (most) foggy conditions. Capacity is still reduced, but not to the approx half that it was previously. Bad rain can still cause issues, but we've had like 1 days rain in the Bay Area in the past year or so, so that hasn't been a problem recently...
Between November and April, whenever I fly transpac through SFO, I take the first 6 am flight from LAX and deal with the 5 hour layover in the SQ lounge . I am old enough to remember the SJC bus back around 2000 -- been on that one too many times before I decided that one less hour of sleep is worth more than half a day of "flow control."

I think you are right about the current changes -- they have been effective in improving SFO capacity during "bad" weather, but SFO really hasn't been tested to the fullest since those changes went into effect. We haven't had an El Nio winter or a string of Pineapple Express storms in several years, but I'm sure we'll get one of those sooner or later (hopefully soon, for obvious reasons).
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Even if the supposedly common delays did happen to me, we're talking about a roughly 24 hour trip overall. When I have been forced to fly into LAX, I've flown LAX-DEN-SEA a couple of times just to spend less time in LAX. I don't actually care about a delay, so long as I'm comfortable. An arrivals lounge and a shower is more valuable to me than a delay of several hours.
I guess you still don't understand the nature of SFO delay. It's inbound domestic making you miss your transoceanic connection. The struggle is either allow 3-5 hours for a sure long-haul out or the "traditional" 1-2 hours and face a 20% chance of misconnect, after which you're on your own finding a hotel and subject to "luck" even having a seat on the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.