Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to Start LAX-MEL (787-9) Service, Effective 26-Oct-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JOSECONLSCREW28
LAX-MEL on the new 787-9, 6x weekly

SYD-MEL-SYD tag-on is being dropped.

The 789 is sCO, delivery expected in the summer.

UA options to Australia will now be:

SFO-SYD - 3-class sUA 777
LAX-SYD - 3-class sUA 777
LAX-MEL - sCO 2-class 789 with 48J/88Y+/116Y 252 seats total
GUM-CNS - sCO 2-class 738 (2x per week)

LAX - MEL schedule:

98 LAX - MEL (will not operate on Tuesdays)
10:30p 9:15a+2 1545 (Except Thursday)
9:30p 8:15a+2 1545 (Thursdays Only)
(Operated by a 789 on Sundays, Thursdays, & Saturdays)
(Operated by a 788 on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays)

99 MEL - LAX (will not operate on Thursdays)
11:15a 6:50a 1435 (Except Saturday)
3:15p 10:50a 1435 (Saturdays Only)
(Operated by a 789 on Mondays, Tuesdays, & Saturdays)
(Operated by a 788 on Sundays, Wednesdays, & Fridays)
Print Wikipost

UA to Start LAX-MEL (787-9) Service, Effective 26-Oct-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:39 am

Are the J seats on the 787 the same as on the 747s.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by ozflier
Are the J seats on the 787 the same as on the 747s.
No they will be the same J seats that are found on the current 787s.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Did anyone notice how much the crew rest is reduced on this? Currently UA fa's arrive on day 1 early am, have day 2 off (or fly Mel), return day 3 arvo. Now they only have 24hrs of rest??? (Ie arrive day 1 / depart day 2.....)
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by GlobalSTL
Did anyone notice how much the crew rest is reduced on this? Currently UA fa's arrive on day 1 early am, have day 2 off (or fly Mel), return day 3 arvo. Now they only have 24hrs of rest??? (Ie arrive day 1 / depart day 2.....)
LAX - MEL will be operated by CO FAs which have shorter rest times then the UA FAs. It will still be a 4 day trip for the CO FAs

DAY 1: LAX - MEL
Day 2:
Day 3: ARV MEL
Day 4: MEL - LAX.

Also the SYD - MEL - SYD is ending as well.

Some days the layover will be extended by a few hours.

CO FAs also do have some longer layovers. Example if an EWR - Europe flight isn't daily then the crew will have an extended layover.

Last edited by JOSECONLSCREW28; Feb 20, 2014 at 1:54 am
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: VAG
I see I'm late to this thread to be expressing this sentiment, but I am nonetheless disappointed that it's MEL-LAX instead of MEL-SFO. MEL-SFO would have given UA a genuine competitive advantage: no goddamn LAX.

On MEL-LAX they're just competing with two airlines which are significantly better in every class.

Also, regardless of what a flat map would have you believe, MEL-SFO is actually shorter than MEL-LAX by about 60 miles.

Oh well, as a frequent passenger on MEL-SFO I suppose I should be happy as this means I won't be tempted to go back to flying UA
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Very interesting to see the different flying conditions between the two groups - no wonder they have no agreement!!

http://www.unitedafa.org/contract/ne...ison/chart.pdf

How do the sCO FAs do it? So little rest! Is the same true for pilots??
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: United 1k
Everyone complaining about this is unbelievable.

It is a non stop flight to the US from Melbourne. It is a 787. It is Continental Business First, which is MUCH nicer than United Business. It is plenty more business seats back to Australian. The planes get into LAX nice, bright and early, giving you a proper day in LA and much better connections to the East of the USA. Finally, immigration to the US an be rubbish at any airport, it is the luck of the draw.

This new service is all good.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
I can get over the Y product, especially since AA is going that route. It's F that's going to be missed, especially by the GS "types" UAL purports to be focused on. Presuming their using the current C product, it won't cut it on a long route like this.
I can't imagine MEL-US has a lot of GS types on the route. Anyway, even if I were GS I would prefer C and a 3-4 hour shorter journey than F and having to double connect. Time is money, etc.

That's sort of a fatuous thing to say in itself, no? How about letting other have diverging opinions without resorting to constant rebukes of FT and it's members when they fail to uphold absolute praise for any announcements from the company makes? It's unnecessary.
It's just interesting that almost all the regular US-AUS flyers posting here are welcoming the route while it's the once in every 5 year mileage redeemers to AUS and usual UA negative nancys that are posting about this being a thumbs down.

Yeah San Francisco is known for all their theme parks (disneyland, seaworld, california adventure, magic mountain, knotts berry farm, universal studios..etc), hollywood blvd, all the major tourist attractions of america, celebrity stalking tours, etc. Regardless of anyone's opinion, more people visit LA than SF. So it makes a LOT of sense UA would fly LAX-MEL vs SFO-MEL.
LAX also has a much larger AUS expatriate community as compared to SFO. I've met maybe a handful of AUS citizens in the bay area when I lived there for 7 years, met loads in LA when I was living there for a year. So I imagine the VFR traffic is heavily centered around LA, with some also in NY and MIA. Not many in SF catchment area.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Robert N
Everyone complaining about this is unbelievable.

It is a non stop flight to the US from Melbourne. It is a 787. It is Continental Business First, which is MUCH nicer than United Business. It is plenty more business seats back to Australian. The planes get into LAX nice, bright and early, giving you a proper day in LA and much better connections to the East of the USA. Finally, immigration to the US an be rubbish at any airport, it is the luck of the draw.

This new service is all good.
+1. Well said. I'm honestly shocked that it's not from SFO, considering my sense that all other hubs are considered second-class scum!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Even with the remodel, the immigration and (especially) customs back-up can be really horrific at LAX. They just can't handle the incoming capacity during peak periods.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Either one.
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Connecting in LAX - blech.
Originally Posted by exerda
What I hate about international at LAX is connecting. There's the confusing path to follow when exiting arrivals and getting back to domestic connections, going outside, then trying to find an escalator or elevator up to the departures level. Granted, it's been 2 years since I made an international connection at LAX, so maybe that's finally improved, but if you're connecting, LAX isn't as much fun.
Originally Posted by gengar
Agreed 100%. It's the customs backup that is the real problem because it also affects Global Entry members. I don't know why the GE experience isn't made more consistent, since there are some airports that allow 'fast track' or 'front of the line' privileges also at customs.

My unwillingness to go through immigration/customs in LAX is the only reason I ever still fly UA, for the LAS-SFO route on the ends of my TPACs.
I would like to know what people are talking about here.

United has its own customs and immigration facility in T7. There will be no dealing with the Bradley Terminal. Rare is the time when there is even another flight arriving at the same time. I have never had an issue promptly clearing customs and immigration at LAX T7.

There are separate Global Entry lines for customs in T7 and in the Bradley Terminal.

Connecting to domestic flights? Immediately at the exit from customs, inside the terminal, is an escalator up to departures. Couldn't be much easier.

Originally Posted by N830MH
Not just yet. Right now, it is on east side of old TBIT gates will continue to be demolished, and they will installed a new jetbridge. They won't be done in a few years or so.
The immigration facility is finished. I went through it a few weeks after arrival on a CX flight. The terminal is mostly finished. Yes, they are going to build an airside bridge to AA at T4, but that has nothing to do with UA.

I am not a huge fan of the Bradley Terminal, but it beats the heck out of IAD.

It will so extremely overcrowded. You will stuck at immigrations. You don't want to get any problem. I think they will be at Tom Bradley International Terminal.
Why would you think that? UA has its own facility in T7.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:51 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Does MEL have the same curfew as SYD? If not, would this allow for on-time departures and early arrivals from LAX in the case of tail winds?
No curfew for MEL - it is a 24-h operating airport.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:46 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Yeah San Francisco is known for all their theme parks (disneyland, seaworld, california adventure, magic mountain, knotts berry farm, universal studios..etc), hollywood blvd, all the major tourist attractions of america, celebrity stalking tours, etc. Regardless of anyone's opinion, more people visit LA than SF. So it makes a LOT of sense UA would fly LAX-MEL vs SFO-MEL.
If theme parks are your cup of tea... not mine. Hence the "IMHO" and "YMMV."
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
No way will UA ever not consider LAX as a major hub with Asia and South Pacific in the picture. LAX has become the battle ground airport in the west. SEA is starting to be a battleground airport as well but LAX is a major player for DL,AA,UA.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: None - previously UA

Btw, the 787 seats are marginally wider than the 744 seats by 1/3rd of an inch. I'm assuming you'll get more than 3" of addl E+ space though, nevermind a new interior and AVOD finally. 17" is the industry norm, even carriers like EK are doing it and well nobody complains about the comfort on a 10-abreast EK 77W.
I'm excited about the route but I don't believe the full sized 20-21 inch wide (at shoulders) American male is meant to fit in a 17 inch wide seat for 16 hours, and I will not fly this route in economy, which means if I can't book business or confirm upgrade at booking I'm booking away from United. Almost all travel policies allow for premium Econ on long routes. I think UA is making a mistake not adding a premium Econ 19-20 inch wide seat on flights of this length, for those that may not be able to purchase C, but can easily pay the $1000 to $1500 extra for premium economy.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Feb 20, 2014 at 7:55 am
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: United 1.9MM
buy one of the numerous $60 fares between SYD-MEL...
+ the outrageous bus fare between domestic and international terminals. Or maybe that is history now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.