Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to Start LAX-MEL (787-9) Service, Effective 26-Oct-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JOSECONLSCREW28
LAX-MEL on the new 787-9, 6x weekly

SYD-MEL-SYD tag-on is being dropped.

The 789 is sCO, delivery expected in the summer.

UA options to Australia will now be:

SFO-SYD - 3-class sUA 777
LAX-SYD - 3-class sUA 777
LAX-MEL - sCO 2-class 789 with 48J/88Y+/116Y 252 seats total
GUM-CNS - sCO 2-class 738 (2x per week)

LAX - MEL schedule:

98 LAX - MEL (will not operate on Tuesdays)
10:30p 9:15a+2 1545 (Except Thursday)
9:30p 8:15a+2 1545 (Thursdays Only)
(Operated by a 789 on Sundays, Thursdays, & Saturdays)
(Operated by a 788 on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays)

99 MEL - LAX (will not operate on Thursdays)
11:15a 6:50a 1435 (Except Saturday)
3:15p 10:50a 1435 (Saturdays Only)
(Operated by a 789 on Mondays, Tuesdays, & Saturdays)
(Operated by a 788 on Sundays, Wednesdays, & Fridays)
Print Wikipost

UA to Start LAX-MEL (787-9) Service, Effective 26-Oct-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:38 pm

I am confused.
Seatguru talks about lie flat J seats in the 787.
Does this mean they are 180deg flat or slopped ?
I assume they are not the great J suites on the transpac 747s.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Actually a 789 could do ORD-SYD with minimal problems

well that was my rationale but considering the planes are sCO orders/configs and CO never had an international first product, that is the more likely reason why there is no F offering.
That would be Epic.. I would so give any airline that could do that $$$

I am not joking, I have gold on UA but any airline that could get me to SYD without the SH that is LAX I would give my loyalty..
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by ozflier
I am confused.
flat.. I can not recall if they are staggered front facing and rear facing..
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ozflier
I am confused.
They are arguably better than the J seats on the 747 - much wider, and far more storage space. 180deg flat bed seats.

All are front facing.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
They are arguably better than the J seats on the 747 - much wider, and far more storage space. 180deg flat bed seats.

All are front facing.
Thank you for all the quick advice.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
That is too bad it will be on a 2 class 787 with an outdated business first cabin.
How exactly is it outdated. Lie flat seats with AVOD.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Great for service but sad because I loved seeing those UA 744s at LAX. Does anyone know where the 747's that fly this LAX-SYD-MEL & SFO-SYD-MEL route will end up?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
How exactly is it outdated. Lie flat seats with AVOD.
No direct aisle access. State of the art business class seats are now all configured for 100% direct aisle access.

Originally Posted by PDXUA
Great for service but sad because I loved seeing those UA 744s at LAX. Does anyone know where the 747's that fly this LAX-SYD-MEL & SFO-SYD-MEL route will end up?
LAX-MEL is a new route and has nothing to do with the 744s moving off of LAX/SFO-SYD, to be replaced with sUA772s. That was already planned.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by Kacee
No direct aisle access. State of the art business class seats are now all configured for 100% direct aisle access.
Enjoy Flying Delta as they are the only airline offering a direct SYD->USA with the above config
Just a single Syd->LAX service per day
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223
So do you have to go though the AU immigration exit process in SYD and then re-enter in MEL? If you don't have fast track that alone can take as long as the flight.
When I flew MEL-SYD on UA a couple of years ago (2011?), domestic passengers going through AU immigration exit station at MEL received a "D" (Domestic) sticker on their BP. When the flight arrived in SYD, their names were checked against a list when exiting the jet bridge, and they were directed through a side corridor and (supposedly) exited without going through AU entry immigration.

I would think that a similar arrangement would be in place for domestic SYD-MEL passengers.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM

All are front facing.
I take it you've not flown the 744 upper deck?

A minor nit - but the age of the sCO seats is showcased in the IFE UX. Feels like something out of the early 2000s...oh wait, that is when they were designed.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

All are front facing.
If you're on the lower deck in the 4-abreast C seats, sure. Upper deck, not so much so. The window seats up there have a huge amount of storage space, all of it accessible throughout the flight.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kacee

Enjoy Flying Delta as they are the only airline offering a direct SYD->USA with the above config
Just a single Syd->LAX service per day
The comment you responded to was about C generally, not a specific route.

Within say 3 years, X% of DL and Y% of AA fleet will have a modern all aisle access C. Z% for UA. Z=0.

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Quote:

All are front facing.

I take it you've not flown the 744 upper deck?

A minor nit - but the age of the sCO seats is showcased in the IFE UX. Feels like something out of the early 2000s...oh wait, that is when they were designed.
Which is why upthread I said even the sCO 777s need a new C product. Y in the 777 is like SQ's now 2 gen old 772, including seats. Less IFE selection of course too.

Obviously the brand new 787s should have gotten a new product from day 1. CO only had what 6-7 years to pick a design.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 20, 2014 at 5:57 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The comment you responded to was about C generally, not a specific route.

Within say 3 years, X% of DL and Y% of AA fleet will have a modern all aisle access C. Z% for UA. Z=0.

Which is why upthread I said even the sCO 777s need a new C product. Y in the 777 is like SQ's now 2 gen old 772, including seats. Less IFE selection of course too.

Obviously the brand new 787s should have gotten a new product from day 1. CO only had what 6-7 years to pick a design.
What's wrong with the BE Diamond seats? Isn't that seat kind of the standard these days for long haul business class? Isn't 1-2-1 in J still the exception rather than the rule?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think it has a shot simply because the route makes MEL a single-connect from, by my count, about 35 new markets which previously only had single-transfer service on a QF/AA codeshare. These flights will be prioritized higher on a GDS display and UA can attract a fare premium consistent with that type of routing (which QF/AA already capture).
You are assuming (as Jeff clearly does) that simply loading a UAL flight into GDS will result in sales. He may be right, but I think a little more than a NEW option - when two others sets of one stop connections in LAX, and a number of one-stop connections in Europe and the M.E.,all on international widebodies, exit - is needed to attract the kind of passengers United will need to make this work.

But, hey, many of us have said that UAL runs from competition, here they have not.

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Actually a 789 could do ORD-SYD with minimal problems
I guess it depends on what you mean by "minimal problems" ORD to SYD is 8034nm. The max range of the 789 is 8,185 nm. But going west you would hit 50 nm or more winds, and even stronger winds in the winter. Going west, either a tech stop, or a water landing would be needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.