Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot chocolate locked up!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demkr
Afaik, Delta even allows self pouring of wine and beer. I think its a bit insulting that UA thinks their customers/club members have to be treated like children. Not to mention it makes bartender's job harder.
This is something that caused very heated debated during the NW-DL merger. NW had always allowed self-pouring, DL had bartenders. There were a lot of angry NW flyers that had to go to a bar to get a watered down version of their favorite WorldClub drink. DL switched in the places that it could (they said some states would not allow it by law), and then promptly decreased the quality of the beverages served.

I will say that it ticks me off to have to wait several minutes (sometimes) for a coke because the bartender has to get it for me...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by GBadger
This is something that caused very heated debated during the NW-DL merger. NW had always allowed self-pouring, DL had bartenders. There were a lot of angry NW flyers that had to go to a bar to get a watered down version of their favorite WorldClub drink. DL switched in the places that it could (they said some states would not allow it by law), and then promptly decreased the quality of the beverages served.

I will say that it ticks me off to have to wait several minutes (sometimes) for a coke because the bartender has to get it for me...
In the mid-2000s when I first started working (22-23 yrs old) my coworkers and I would often fill our Nalgene bottles with vodka and sprite at the WoldClubs for the flight home. NW used to have decent liquor so when we took 500ml or so each on a weekly basis it wasn't just pennies.

I have since grown up a bit and can't down 1/2 a liter of vodka on a MSP-ORD flight anymore.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Yeah I mean as far as I'm concerned it makes the staff have more work and it insults the customer. UC's are simply behind the curve vs DL.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by uanj
I bet the vast majority of people here completely understand and accept that when they go to a buffet or self-serve restaurant they are not to take food home for later consumption. What makes the United Clubs any different?
I think the difference is that when you leave the self-serve restaurant, you aren't planning to spend the next several hours with the company.

I think it's OK to take a package of Milanos or carrots or two to eat on the plane, not to clear out the tray.

Great thread, I'd pop some popcorn. But it's locked up.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Before my last flight, I took not one, but TWO packets of carrot sticks.
I thought I recognized you!

Sometimes I wonder why I keep paying for it, but occasionally I'm reminded why I do--winter delays, Senator access when overseas, and Senator access at DTW.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fastfxr
I thought I recognized you!

Sometimes I wonder why I keep paying for it, but occasionally I'm reminded why I do--winter delays, Senator access when overseas, and Senator access at DTW.
Aren't you a 1K?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
ROTFL

You wouldn't go as far as to make this the crj200 would you? Remember, society is judged by how it treats its prisoners....
LOL!!! best post on this thread. Major props.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I love this thread. I'll admit to grabbing a packet of carrots and a shortbread cookie thingamajig before heading out to my RJ connection and not even feeling mildly guilty about it. I think my shame threshold would kick in north of two squirreled-away packets of milanos, but I haven't yet experimented.

Here's a question for those horrified by the milano free loaders: A month back I was eating a mix of the crackers/trail mix from the hamster tubes that I had poured into a plastic cup. I sat down, had a couple nibbles, then realized I needed to get to my gate quickly. I gathered my stuff, and saw the nearly full cup of snack mix on the table. I grabbed it and took it with me--was I being bad?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by waxearwings
I love this thread. I'll admit to grabbing a packet of carrots and a shortbread cookie thingamajig before heading out to my RJ connection and not even feeling mildly guilty about it. I think my shame threshold would kick in north of two squirreled-away packets of milanos, but I haven't yet experimented.

Here's a question for those horrified by the milano free loaders: A month back I was eating a mix of the crackers/trail mix from the hamster tubes that I had poured into a plastic cup. I sat down, had a couple nibbles, then realized I needed to get to my gate quickly. I gathered my stuff, and saw the nearly full cup of snack mix on the table. I grabbed it and took it with me--was I being bad?
In my book, that's perfectly okay.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
In my book, that's perfectly okay.
Same here. What I object to is folks bagging 20 packs of cookies or grabbing 12 cans of soft drinks and stuffing them in a bag pack. I think that should be an obvious issue. I think there is a continuum of what's appropriate or inapproriate, but I think there are obvious lines in the sand for a majority of people. Not that you needed my or anyone else's approval though.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:09 pm

In my infinite wisdom, here's what I think is acceptable:

- Two small packaged snacks; or
- One unfinished cup of hamster tube food; or
- One piece of fruit.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry

- One piece of fruit.
I take either 2-3 cheese and cracker bags (or a bag of carrots) and a piece of fruit! No guilt here.

But once I did get selected for agriculture check at customs...AFTER I ate the fruit. Damn beagles. Could smell the fruit in my bag even after it was eaten. lol.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond

- One piece of fruit.
So the two packs of Walker's Shortbread that I took out of the SNA club was withing the bounds of acceptability, according to this post.

Was it acceptable since I had already been upgraded by DL both legs and knew that I would be served lunch on the first flight and the snack basket on the second?

Was it acceptable that when I got home and opened my briefcase, there were the two Walkers, forgotten and completely forlorn?

They did however go quite well with the next morning's coffee.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by monitor
Was it acceptable that when I got home and opened my briefcase, there were the two Walkers, forgotten and completely forlorn?
Would have been fine, but then you forgot to consume them while within the confines of an airliner; -3 demerits.

You can appeal to the Merit Committee, but don't expect a fast response. They're part of the MileagePlus service desk.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
I'm kind of surprised anyone is taking anything more than they can/want to consume at the Club itself. Why? Might as well eat the "zipper pulls" of your backpack or luggage in-flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.