Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot chocolate locked up!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Sigh. This is why we can't have nice things.
May I guess that if you ask UA who are the UC freeloaders, they will say that it is the 1K guys who pay $400 for a membership and visit UCs 100 times/year and eat 2 snacks each time -- and not the kettles who pay $500 for a membership and visit UCs 10 times and take out 5 snacks.

Their biggest profitability issues probably come from flat-rate memberships more than from differential per-visit consumption.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Do other airlines provide free food on the Hawaii routes?
HA provides free food on the JFK-HNL flight and offer a premium BOB service. As evidenced UA doesn't try to compete on service in many markets...so par for the course.

Lets not forget that pmUA tried to get rid of transatlantic meals so the "competition theory" be damned.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seenitall
May I guess that if you ask UA who are the UC freeloaders, they will say that it is the 1K guys who pay $400 for a membership and visit UCs 100 times/year and eat 2 snacks each time -- and not the kettles who pay $500 for a membership and visit UCs 10 times and take out 5 snacks.

Their biggest profitability issues probably come from flat-rate memberships more than from differential per-visit consumption.
Just for the record, everyone should be laying $395.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I, too, have seen someone grab handfuls of milano cookies and stuff them into all his jacket pockets...and that was at SFO. I was so blown away by his brazeness that I could barely describe it to my wife. At least I am teaching my kids how to behave responsibly in this world, and they are more gracious guests at UA Clubs than some adult pigs will ever be.
A handful of Milano cookies basically means 2 or 3 packs, and how do you know if the person could be in a hurry and no time to consume in the lounge ? What's the difference if you consume 3 packs of Milano cookies in the club vs taking 3 packs of cookies to go ? Or should they have a rule saying 1 snack item and 1 glass of soda per customer and no refills ?

You could pay for the food on the plane, perhaps, rather than hoarding the food that we all paid for in the club.
You could pay for the snack for domestic flights, but not international, did you forget UA is the only one that cut out the pretzel/snack mix in int'l Y a while ago ? While DL is still serving biscoff cookies or snack mix even for domestic Y !

If I am paying several hundred dollars for the UC membership, isn't that fair to grab a little snacks (I am not talking about emptying the entire tray !) to go with me ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 4, 2014 at 12:47 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
If I am paying several hundred dollars for the UC membership, isn't that fair to grab a little snacks (I am not talking about emptying the entire tray !) to go with me ?
I say go for it! United is trying to take money from you every chance they get, its up to you to maximize the value you receive.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by downhillcrasher
I say go for it! United is trying to take money from you every chance they get, its up to you to maximize the value you receive.
My case in point.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
All a commentary on how downscale things have become. I'd rather they kept the stuff locked up and doled out one-at-a-time than raise UC fees to make up for the petty thievery.

If every UC customer stole just one extra packet under the theory that, "it's just one"....
What about those customer that consume 4 or 5 packs inside the lounge, several cups of cheese cubes, multiple glasses of wine ? You know it actually costs more than those who only take 1 or 2 to go right ?

Sigh. This is why we can't have nice things.
So how come when you go to LH FCL/FCT or even UA IFL in HKG, everybody sit down to have a full breakfast/lunch/dinner, then they can still go to the buffet to have a whole plate of food, but it can still maintain the high quality, what gives ?

You know that the amount of drinks and food consume in the FCL/FCT could easily cost as much as $50 per pax ? So compare to a few packs of milanos in the UC, which costs more ?

Originally Posted by zrs70
For a while, za the UC did away with packaged cookies, but had the same brand in bulk but already opened (making it harder to stuff into your bag).
I remembered, love the assorted pepperridgefarm cookies tower, even better than just milanos !

Did you notice some big airports actually provide 3oz zip-log bags right before security, for people that forget to put their carryon liquids separately ? (SFO used to provide this, but I haven't seen them lately, but now I had seen those bags appear in IAD)

I just took one bag and and empty several pepperridge farm cookies in the zip log bag along with several cheese cubes, I don't even need to bring my own bag !

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 4, 2014 at 1:20 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Bonvoy Ambassador | WN A-List | Avis First | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mre5765
Why not just express steamed milk from the cappuccino machine?
Shh... don't tell anyone. The UC may start putting up a sign that says, "Steamed Milk for Coffee Drinks Only".

In all honesty it really is the best option, sometimes I just get steamed milk.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I, too, have seen someone grab handfuls of milano cookies and stuff them into all his jacket pockets...and that was at SFO. I was so blown away by his brazeness that I could barely describe it to my wife.
You should have come over and said hello, I love meeting other flyertalkers!!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
A handful of Milano cookies basically means 2 or 3 packs, and how do you know if the person could be in a hurry and no time to consume in the lounge ? What's the difference if you consume 3 packs of Milano cookies in the club vs taking 3 packs of cookies to go ? Or should they have a rule saying 1 snack item and 1 glass of soda per customer and no refills ?
What part about my post do you not understand? The part about handfuls of cookie packs IN EACH JACKET POCKET? The guy took approximately 20 packs of cookies a d his jecket pockets were bulging.

Are you still sticking with your story? What's the difference between eating 20 packs of cookies there vs taking them with you?

What about those customer that consume 4 or 5 packs inside the lounge, several cups of cheese cubes, multiple glasses of wine ? You know it actually costs more than those who only take 1 or 2 to go right
Yes. And since I could be using a lounger in the UC, I should also take that with me and check it for the flight home if I don't have time to sit down. I do pay $400 for the membership afterall.

Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
All of my derision above does not apply to Milano theft. No human can resist taking excessively from a Milano bounty.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
All of my derision above does not apply to Milano theft. No human can resist taking excessively from a Milano bounty.
+1.....or should I say +2 or 3 before each flight.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

You could pay for the food on the plane, perhaps, rather than hoarding the food that we all paid for in the club.
You pay for a UC membership???
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:00 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by mkrecek
If someone takes a few packets, ok, but take the whole tray? If caught they should have their membership revoked.
I seriously doubt this was a member. A CC day pass holder most likely.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:01 pm

Dear Jeff,

This is one of the reasons why I let my UA club membership lapse .
Esp since most of my flying is intl or p.s. ( lounge included ) . It's not worth the fee .

Good luck with the quest for ROIC,

meFIRST

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.