GPU Failure Report

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 16, 19, 7:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Archived pre-2015 posts in GPU Failure Report [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 25, 15, 2:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BNA
Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 273
Brand new 1k, still learning how to play.
1. EWR - TXL
2. 3/19/15
3. Fare Class Q
4. Y-C
5. 28 weeks (yes, 7 months in advance)
6. Didn't clear

(Was looking okay until Lufthansa went on strike....)
rstlsgirl is offline  
Old Mar 27, 15, 5:17 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, Hilton
Posts: 731
LHR-IAD
3-27-15
M fare
Y-C
3-18-15
#1 on the list, probably ruined by having a leg on aer lingus coming here, bah, hate that they can't work that checkin better with "partner"

Also 8C opened up on the phone and then dissaperred, while I stay as #1, hmmm....good thing I have no one in my row and I could use the GPU in a better spot than LHR-IAD. Hope I get a complimentary wine

Last edited by jasonp622; Mar 27, 15 at 6:05 am
jasonp622 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 15, 1:31 am
  #3  
Formerly known as Stephenk19
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Munich, Germany
Programs: Free Agent
Posts: 396
NRT - ORD on 7/27/15
Booked 6/20/15 - GPU applied on 7/01/15
W Fare
At departure - No. 7 on list
Steve_19 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 15, 6:32 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 17,520
Originally Posted by Steve_19 View Post
NRT - ORD on 7/27/15
Booked 6/20/15 - GPU applied on 7/01/15
W Fare
At departure - No. 7 on list
Just arrived on this flight a few hours ago. Three empties in the upper deck and six in the lower deck. You were a day too late, unfortunately.
iluv2fly is offline  
Old Nov 14, 15, 4:01 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, Hilton
Posts: 731
11/14/15
IAH-MUC
U fare
Booked 10/2/15
Y-C
1K
4 on the list, R=1 on Tuesday, called about 20 times, couldn't find an agent to clear me, awesome
jasonp622 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 15, 4:04 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Coast, Best Coast
Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Posts: 15,745
Originally Posted by jasonp622 View Post
11/14/15
IAH-MUC
U fare
Booked 10/2/15
Y-C
1K
4 on the list, R=1 on Tuesday, called about 20 times, couldn't find an agent to clear me, awesome
Ugh. Some things never change. Unbelievable.

Fwiw, next time ask the agent to withdraw and redeposit the GPU, then go online and reapply it. You'll clear immediately into the open R space.
PV_Premier is offline  
Old Nov 17, 15, 2:08 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,621
IAD-MUC, Nov 16

Wife was at the top of upgrade standby list when the door closed. Someone who was a few spots below in the upgrade standby list got upgraded at T-3h. Should my wife complain to 1K Voice?
Kmxu is offline  
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:47 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WAS/ BOM
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,542
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Wife was at the top of upgrade standby list when the door closed. Someone who was a few spots below in the upgrade standby list got upgraded at T-3h. Should my wife complain to 1K Voice?
Cheaper buy up offer trumps wait listed instruments
IADFlyer123 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 15, 7:14 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CMH
Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 733
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
Ugh. Some things never change. Unbelievable.

Fwiw, next time ask the agent to withdraw and redeposit the GPU, then go online and reapply it. You'll clear immediately into the open R space.
This is the best method I've found when R space exists and GPU doesn't automatically clear. I have to wonder if the agent knows what I am doing but never had one say anything. *shrug*
RockinRon is offline  
Old Nov 17, 15, 5:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,621
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
Cheaper buy up offer trumps wait listed instruments
That person was shown up on the upgraded list after the flight departed. It was not an upsell issue.
Kmxu is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 6:21 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ROC
Programs: UA GS, Library Card holder
Posts: 61
FRA-IAD UA988
19 NOV 2015
Y -> C

GPU applied at booking - 3 weeks out
It was Z9 at that time so I bought up to W (S was available)

J7 at 24 hours so I had my fingers crossed.

Ended up #11.

I'm thinking at least a few of those were TOD. I had a problem and couldn't check in until the airport (at another European airport with LH). Never even got to see a buy-up offer.

Got charged for a mixed-drink.
K2BF is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 2:57 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: UA 1k
Posts: 111
Do they open up more R a few hours before a long haul flight? I noticed they did last year but not this year.
I have 6 gpu still because I can't get any R availability in EWR.
JC1976 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 3:23 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,894
Originally Posted by JC1976 View Post
Do they open up more R a few hours before a long haul flight?
Occasionally they will open R at T-24 or later (T-3, T-1). But not with regularity as as they used to.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jun 12, 16, 6:50 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Programs: UA 1K, *G
Posts: 84
SFO-HND
Booked in March 2016
W class
Travel date Friday 10 June
Did not clear at booking, didn't clear on the day of flight. I was first on waitlist. Business was booked full according to the agent.
Incredibly disappointing and not sure why I keep paying a premium for W fares and working to get 1K when the GPUs don't clear.
seasiaflyer is offline  
Old Jun 12, 16, 7:16 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ROC/NYC/MSP/LAX/HKG/SIN
Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Posts: 3,191
Originally Posted by seasiaflyer View Post
SFO-HND
Booked in March 2016
W class
Travel date Friday 10 June
Did not clear at booking, didn't clear on the day of flight. I was first on waitlist. Business was booked full according to the agent.
Incredibly disappointing and not sure why I keep paying a premium for W fares and working to get 1K when the GPUs don't clear.
My sincere sympathy for you. This is usually piece of cake when it comes to getting the upgrade, but there must be a lot business passengers purchasing the seat out right.
PaulInTheSky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: