Archived pre-2015 posts in GPU Failure Report [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

GPU Failure Report

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by david_oz
Dec 22
IAH-SYD
1k on V fare. Finished 13th on the list with only 1 seat available. They sold it for $700
I would've jumped at that offer and I typically stick to buying the lowest k fares possible. (Potentially) 8,590 more miles due to an up fare to P and 17 and a half hours in Polaris J. That's also the amount of a copay for UA's miles+smiles upgrade. Even if I had a GPU I would've leapt on it. Much better to have Polaris seat in hand than a set of GPUs on the battlefield.

-James
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by narvik
Depends on who got the $700 offer!
Non-member maybe?

I never get good offers as 1K, it seems.

But yeah, at $700 I would have purchased on that route also.
I made a booking as "New Traveler" from my United profile leaving MP number blank on IAD-SFO route; but United was smart enough to populate my FF number. If you make a booking without logging into your account, does it pick MP number from your email/phone? I'm considering trying that (to get better offers) on competitive routes where I know I don't stand a chance for GPU/RPU/CPU and adding FF number later to get miles.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
I'm considering trying that (to get better offers) on competitive routes
The incidence of this is much reduced from years past, though it is still reported occasionally.
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
If you make a booking without logging into your account, does it pick MP number from your email/phone?
No.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
1) SFO-TPE
2) 12/5
3) W
4) Y>J
5) Purchased 11/19
6) Failed PZ was opened a few days before I booked the ticket, then disappeared. The day of departure, I was #5 on the list. the UA app bounced between showing the flight was booked 58/60 to 60/60 several times up to the day of departure. When we landed in TPE, the list showed the agents cleared #1 and #6, thus skipping myself and # 2-4. A bit pissed, given the premium I paid, so I assume either there was SHENA or the agent was too lazy to come aboard and upgrade the next on the list...
wow TPE has had great deals from YYZ and lots of us have had no issues upgrading.. 8 of us so far, I guess people found out and have also started booking this flight.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I'd bet a good number of people purchased discounted P fares from YYZ to TPE and return for around $2k. Instant confirmation and no need to mess with the alphabet soup.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I'd bet a good number of people purchased discounted P fares from YYZ to TPE and return for around $2k. Instant confirmation and no need to mess with the alphabet soup.
...and what's wrong with that? We're just returning the favour of Americans buying discount P fares on AC to Europe and Asia

-James
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
...and what's wrong with that? We're just returning the favour of Americans buying discount P fares on AC to Europe and Asia

-James
I am providing a causation for the lack of upgrades on a supposed easy route. PQDs between YYZ and SFO were only $263 one-way, and $750 for one-way TPAC.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I am providing a causation for the lack of upgrades on a supposed easy route. PQDs between YYZ and SFO were only $263 one-way, and $750 for one-way TPAC.
What's PQD

-James
Toronto1970 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

and how he knows so definitively that it was sold for that price.
I would've jumped at that offer and I typically stick to buying the lowest k fares possible. (Potentially) 8,590 more miles due to an up fare to P and 17 and a half hours in Polaris J. That's also the amount of a copay for UA's miles+smiles upgrade. Even if I had a GPU I would've leapt on it. Much better to have Polaris seat in hand than a set of GPUs on the battlefield.

-James
both excellent questions. I was originally booked to go YYC-DEN-LAX-SYD. At DEN, I volunteered to give up my seat for $1,000 certificate and was re routed through IAH, but the seat map sucked and I only had the choice of middle seats.

I was also given the $700 offer to upgrade (side note, a different screen within the app presented me with a $2,700 offer, dont know why there was a difference) and the UA club agent confirmed I could upgrade for $700, but they wouldnt take the certificate as payment. I thought about taking it, but Im paying on my own dime with Canadian pesos. Ive lived through many hours of economy discomfort so this wasnt such a big deal. Also would rather spend that cash (and the redeposited GPU for that matter) on another vacation, or mileage run to retain 1k for another 6 upgrades next year, since it will be a slower travel year for me. Also didnt need anymore PQMs for 2018 so that was not a factor.

How do I know it was sold for $700? When I got to IAH an aisle seat opened up so I took it. When I got on the plane the guy sitting in the opposite aisle said hi. We were chatting and it turns out his wife bought it for $700. I didnt ask his status but he said he finished 4th on the list (I was 13th), so either he was a 1k in a very high fare class, or a GS.

My own opinion: discounted offers for 1k/GS would be an acceptable balance between UA being able to monetize the cabin, and at the same time not selling out elites.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 2MM
What's PQD :
Paid Qualifying Dollars.
FlyerTalker70 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Paid Qualifying Dollars.
Premier Qualifying Dollars
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
I think j2simpso was making a joke in that we Canadians dont have to worry about PQDs! (Thank goodness since if/when we do, this status chasing game will be over for me!)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
I think j2simpso was making a joke in that we Canadians dont have to worry about PQDs! (Thank goodness since if/when we do, this status chasing game will be over for me!)
Indeed I was...good to see a fellow Canuck caught on to that one!

Disagree with you on what to do if that shoe were to ever drop. There are certainly other lucrative programs if you're interested in staying loyal to * (A3 and OZ come to mind, the former lets you renew Gold for as little as 24,000 miles whereas the latter will give you lifetime Gold once you fly 500,000 across all * partners, and let you renew your Gold (for up to 4 years) after hitting 30,000 miles!). Then there are non-* programs like AAdvatnage which allow you to skip the EQD requirement by flying a cheap J fare out of CAI, but that's a story for another day

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
HKG-SFO on 1/7/19
Booked and applied GPU back in April
Q fare
Didn't clear, and there were at least 5 people ahead of me who didn't clear either. First trans-oceanic flight in coach in 2 years, gosh I'm spoiled.

Last edited by FlytheTail; Jan 7, 2019 at 12:16 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
HKG-SFO on 1/7/18
Booked and applied GPU back in April
Q fare
Didn't clear, and there were at least 5 people ahead of me who didn't clear either. First trans-oceanic flight in coach in 2 years, gosh I'm spoiled.
I think it's due to the time of the year when many people are coming back to the US after spending the Holidays at home. The only GPU that I had not clear was PVG-ORD at about the same time of the year last year. I was #1 on the waitlist for the whole time. But, at least, I could not complain as I had a bulkhead seat in Economy+. And my wife was in First which means that the FAs brought me Champagne and the platter of cheese with a glass of Port wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.