FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The future of the LAX hub?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
The rumored new LAX route will not be to Africa.
So...any other color you can provide on rumored destination?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:53 pm

My guess it has something to do with the are Avianca/United JV even though all of the AV hubs have nonstop service to LAX.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
That's not what I am saying. I am saying that there was a reasoned decision to REDUCE capacity recently on LAX/FRA from A388 to A346 so immediately adding back much more capacity via an additional 787 seems to make no sense or at best reflects massive indecision amongst *A partners.
That's pure speculation why LH swapped aircraft. Could just as well be in anticipation of UA adding capacity back. A single daily 346 hardly seems sufficient lift from the second largest US city to *A's largest European hub.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's pure speculation why LH swapped aircraft. Could just as well be in anticipation of UA adding capacity back. A single daily 346 hardly seems sufficient lift from the second largest US city to *A's largest European hub.
That's what I was getting at as well. Since they have a JV, LH and UA are allowed to work together ('collude' in any other business sense). It could have been that LH just wanted to announce first. However, the reality is the move of the A380 from FRA to MUC had to do with LH getting angry with FRAPORT (operator of FRA). It's a chicken/egg question on what came first after that (i.e., had UA been asking for reduced LH LAX-FRA capacity did LH go to UA and say we're going to move A380 which route do you want it to come from, or did LH just do it, and UA jumped in) , but does fit nicely for UA to fill the missing capacity. The single daily 346 is only seasonal, during the summer LH is operating the later 748 as well. So if the announcement is LAX-FRA, it will be interesting as to frequency and seasonal or not.

That's not what I am saying. I am saying that there was a reasoned decision to REDUCE capacity recently on LAX/FRA from A388 to A346 so immediately adding back much more capacity via an additional 787 seems to make no sense or at best reflects massive indecision amongst *A partners.
(bolding mine)
Keep in mind *A partners are (officially) not allowed to coordinate these sorts of things. While they offer benefits to eachothers pax, they are meant to compete. However, as mentioned above, JVs are exempt from this so moot point for LH/UA on TATL

Last edited by jmanirish; Dec 18, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:02 pm

Splitting the total capacity across two departure times to provide for flexibility and more onward connections is not a bad thing. The LH flight leaves LAX at 3:15p and arrives at FRA at 11:10a. Shifting either 2 hours earlier or later - much like with the second SFO-MUC service being added in Summer 2018 - would offer additional options for passengers at either end. The fact that LH offers the second flight seasonally helps validate that type of operational decision.

Not saying that it should be the choice (and I'd personally bet on HKG over Europe) but that would be why they split the total capacity into smaller planes.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Geographically, IAD would probably make best sense. IAH had LOS because of oil.
With CAI, in an ideal world—would theoretically open up well-timed connections to much of the continent. Wasn't that PanAm's routing to east and southern Africa way back in the day? But MS makes a less-than-ideal partner with existing service.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EWR764
Rumor has it a new UA LAX longhaul will be announced shortly for a summer start. Elsewhere, some are speculating that it will actually be a resumption of a former UA flight. Expecting 787-9 service.

HKG? FRA? CDG? KIX? GRU?
Any update? Would love to hear about restored BKK service as I am plotting out 2018 travel...
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Any update? Would love to hear about restored BKK service as I am plotting out 2018 travel...
I didn't say immediate, but as far as I can tell nothing has changed!
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Don't count on it as it is difficult to sell the lucrative paid business class seats on this leisure-heavy route. And the nonstop to NRT, PEK, SIN and even HKG offer better connections to most destinations.

Also would not count on any routes to Africa. There is very limited paid business travel (mostly oil business and the LOS flights proved to be a bust even from IAH where most companies are based) and very little potential for leisure travel except to JNB which is already well served via other gateways. As noted above, I think the better potential investment would be for Europe as Asia is mostly tapped out for UA. Many business travelers and Hollywood & Silicon Valley crowd would gladly pay for business class nonstop and to avoid AF and other euro carriers.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
No clue if this is true, but I've heard it's gonna be FRA
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
My money is on LAX-FRA. It makes sense, considering that DL will start LAX-AMS/CDG 7x/ week next summer. Keeps UA at parity of sorts with a flight of its own to its transatlantic JV hub.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by smxflyer
No clue if this is true, but I've heard it's gonna be FRA
Makes sense / wouldn’t be a surprise. UA does have space for afternoon international departures at LAX.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Would love to hear about restored BKK service as I am plotting out 2018 travel...
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Don't count on it as it is difficult to sell the lucrative paid business class seats on this leisure-heavy route.
Not if they priced them right . . . I'd say around $2500 would do the trick

I already placed my bet for FRA many pages back.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
New route probably not to Africa or new Europe destination as it would rely entirely on O/D traffic and not catch any flow.

Guess is either to Asia or Aussie world. LAX-HKG could go in and try to steal some J traffic from CX. As for Aussie world, could do LAX-BNE?

I wouldn’t mind seeing LAX-GUM, but that’s be likely a 788 route at minimum.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:07 pm

Is the new route still happening?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.