Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kale73
Actually, I wonder if someone insists on paying cash, presents a 100, and demands change. I doubt they'll keep cash on hand at every gate.
UA not taking cash for anything, including tickets. (One must load up a debit card at a machine in ticketing lobby before purchasing or paying fees if not a card carrier).
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The department of Revenue Enhancement seems to be taking over at UA. That is driving everything,
I'm confused. Isn't United supposed to do everything it can to increase profit, including... "enhancing" its revenue?

Not saying I'm particularly happy about the predicted bag enforcement circus (I think my go-to carry-on is slightly bigger than allowed, depending on which of its various bulges you count). But UA decided long ago to go the route of nickel-and-diming customers and generally not spending much on passenger comfort, rather than charging higher fares and providing a superior passenger experience. So this latest attempt at making customers pay for what used to be free is hardly surprising.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Overheads

I think they should enforce no coats or hats in the overhead unless they are on top of your personal item. The airlines created this problem by charging for bags. Make checked bags free for everyone & charge for overhead space. Boarding would take half the time.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by snic
But UA decided long ago to go the route of nickel-and-diming customers and generally not spending much on passenger comfort, rather than charging higher fares and providing a superior passenger experience. So this latest attempt at making customers pay for what used to be free is hardly surprising.
It has worked for Ryan Air. United seems to be taking aspects of their model to heart.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rxgeek
I think they should enforce no coats or hats in the overhead unless they are on top of your personal item. The airlines created this problem by charging for bags. Make checked bags free for everyone & charge for overhead space. Boarding would take half the time.
This argument is going round and round. Too many on this forum won't check bags and they are elite and don't pay. They are convinced the airline will lose their bag. Paying for checked bags does not apply to elites and they probably carry on more than anyone.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:46 pm

Amen.

I check bags all the time (I'm one of those people) and domestically it seems that everyone wants to be everything and the kitchen sink in.

Police them.

Originally Posted by thepla
I was flying home other day from BOI-SFO-ORD and in BOI they announced that any bags that did not fit properly would be required to be checked and fees paid. If they fit than any bags to be checked at gate would be done.

They pointed out sizer device and many people went over and tested.

BTW I do like process but I think it is being implemented to generate revenue.
2 billion dollars ROIC needs to come from somewhere #flyerfriendly

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 2, 2014 at 4:58 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by craz
Sure as 1K like me you usually get on early enough not to run into the problem, but Ive had many an occasion where we were delayed and got to my connecting gate just in time to jump on the flight only to be told those dreaded words "sorry all the bins are full" and no time to take out anything of value besides my laptop. And yes once airborne I opened some bins in F as well where I was seated and found many that were placed sideways which meant if not me someone else should have been able to get theres on board!
+1 F bins, OR even Y!!!
I cannot remember how many times I have rearranged an overhead bin if I board later than group 1. I always ask for permission from the passenger who owns the bag I am moving, but there is almost always room to make it work. Many of you will know this trick if it won't latch... to pull down on the top of bin lid while pushing in on the latch... I always check the closure after loading my bag. Once a FA watched me and later couldn't latch it herself. After several minutes of FA struggle I offered (to get up from a window seat, with full rown occupied) and made it latch for her in 2 seconds. She thanked me profusely saying "I saw you do it the first time so I knew it could be done..."

Bottom line - spatial awareness training for FA's could be very useful, but my wife would be the first to admit that even training would not help her in that department. Sigh.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
I do not think it is my responsibility to manage the space. If the FA or another person wants to arrange my bag for efficiency of space, cool. I am allowed 2 carry ons within a size requirement, I am not required to manage the space over my head. It's UA responsibility to have space for carry ons and manage the space within their parameters. I have moved many a bag for more overheads to squeeze on but I will not manage the space or move things around for oversized carry ons.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It will only affect people who have decided that the rules should not be applied to them.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Often1
I presume that FAA cracked down on UA -- perhaps other carriers -- and that finally has UA enforcing its own rules. Good on FAA and good on UA for learning.

While it is certainly true that the typical mainline aircraft can't handle a compliant roll-a-board from every pax, not every pax has one.

UA has updated its website to eliminate the "linear total" problem and even provides handy pictorial diagrams for the illiterate:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...eCarry-On.aspx

This is a good thing, it will speed up boarding, eliminate the crazy need to be first on and give the late connections a shot at getting their bag onboard as well.
The FAA???
Nah, this is UA money grab. Period.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I for one am all for this. Business travelers who fly a lot, pay lots for their tickets, and need their bags to be with them (because the only thing UAL reliably does is loose your bag...) will hit the gate... and get subjected to the CO "our way or the highway" approach on their 22" bags - which fit in the overhead just like, and taking no more space than, a 22" or 20" bag that fits the sizer - and think twice or three times about ever flying UAL again.

High Value fliers will think, hmmmm, this does not happen to me on AA or DL or AS, they want my business, give me better service, don't have silly rules that don't benefit anyone, and the next ticket is less likely to go to UAL.

UAL is already trailing badly in yield growth compared to AA and DL (if UAL had matched Delta in yield growth over the last two years, it would have had $1.5B more in revenue in 2013 than it had) but hey, harass passengers some more, see how that works. I just might help get Jeff and his "savvy" team chucked out a quarter earlier.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by spin88
I for one am all for this. Business travelers who fly a lot, pay lots for their tickets, and need their bags to be with them (because the only thing UAL reliably does is loose your bag...) will hit the gate... and get subjected to the CO "our way or the highway" approach on their 22" bags - which fit in the overhead just like, and taking no more space than, a 22" or 20" bag that fits the sizer - and think twice or three times about ever flying UAL again.

High Value fliers will think, hmmmm, this does not happen to me on AA or DL or AS, they want my business, give me better service, don't have silly rules that don't benefit anyone, and the next ticket is less likely to go to UAL.

UAL is already trailing badly in yield growth compared to AA and DL (if UAL had matched Delta in yield growth over the last two years, it would have had $1.5B more in revenue in 2013 than it had) but hey, harass passengers some more, see how that works. I just might help get Jeff and his "savvy" team chucked out a quarter earlier.
Keep thinking Jeff will get tossed. You can push the goalposts back each quarter.

Last edited by TheStoicPaisano; Feb 2, 2014 at 7:11 pm
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine fits in the sizer as umpired by a UA agent.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It will only affect people who have decided that the rules should not be applied to them.
It will also affect people who have bags that were previously compliant under UA's prior "linear inches" scheme, but whose bags no longer comply.

Greg
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greg99
It will also affect people who have bags that were previously compliant under UA's prior "linear inches" scheme, but whose bags no longer comply.

Greg
Which is why I changed bags to be compliant with the new sizer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.