Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by cmsteele62
Saw an agent at the entrance to security at LAX (general security, not PreCheck or Premier) today checking bag sizes and sending people back to the counter to check their bags. Hoping this is the approach at other places as it will cut down on the mess at the gate.
Visual check or checking with the sizer?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: United 1K
So I guess my biggest beef with this entire issue - how has United allowed their customers, especially the high contact frequent fliers, no about this change? One would think an email to all customers alerting them to this change in enforcement is the "flyer friendly" way to do this.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
So I guess my biggest beef with this entire issue - how has United allowed their customers, especially the high contact frequent fliers, no about this change? One would think an email to all customers alerting them to this change in enforcement is the "flyer friendly" way to do this.
i've gotten the impression (from this thread) that people traveling imminently are getting emails about it shortly before they fly. not true? i haven't been flying UA so don't know.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
They did. I got my email on this topic on 2/21. Multiple people have posted the contents of the email further upthread. :-:
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by greg99
I would argue strongly that the clause you cite would not give them the basis to charge for a checked bag, however.
Agreed.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
This latest news about carry-on bags plus all the other stories everyone has been posting just makes me wonder - does United actually want customers?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Okay, I know ONE Guy whom is sure to make a Bag Wiki.. ( actually not a bad idea) you know whom Im talking about (Im changing Party Lines for a moment)
Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Okay, I know ONE Guy whom is sure to make a Bag Wiki.. ( actually not a bad idea) you know whom Im talking about (Im changing Party Lines for a moment)
Thanks and Safe Travels
Its already been created. Go see this thread. New United Carry-On Sizer
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drowelf
anyway to merge the threads?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BTA
This worries me. My rollerboard fits the sizer fine, but my laptop backpack is wider than 10" in the specifications. I didn't have any issues on my outbound a few days ago, but of course it wasn't measured. The only time I've placed it in the overhead bin is when forced to while seated at a bulkhead position. We'll see how it goes flying home tomorrow...

I can't imagine I would be forced to check my laptop bag. I certainly hope not. It will get trashed quickly.
Your roller gets checked and your briefcase becomes your large carry on.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Read my post again - my bag did fit the sizer. The padfolio in question is 1/2" in thickness at most, which I would not call substantial. Then again, everything is bigger on internet.
What you said it that your bag DIDN'T fit in the sizer, but that once you took your portfolio out of the bag, the bag then did fit in the sizer.

Since the sizer is notably larger than the maximum permitted dimensions for a carry-on, your bag as originally presented was therefore dramatically oversize.

Originally Posted by vandrei
I'm at IAD right now. The GAs are in fact enforcing carry on bag rules using the sizer.

Gate lice are still crowding around the gate. Too bad UA doesn't enforce its rules about staying away from the boarding lines until one's group is called.
UA would if they could sort a way to monetize it . . .

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 28, 2014 at 7:05 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thank you drowelf

Originally Posted by drowelf

Thanks drowelf.. My bag is not there but the smaller size (20") is.. Appreciate your courtesy. I think my may fit.. (once I get it..) Maiden Voyage on the $284.50 LAX-SCL R/T ai this week Safe Travels
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by ilovesprint
anyway to merge the threads?
Given the result would be a 2,000 post megathread, I think a better option would be to close this one and shift discussion to the other thread (and wiki therein). I have moved some recent posts from this thread to the other one so as not to disrupt active discussion.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-2014-a.html

Thanks for everyone's understanding.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.